Thread: Viewsonic PT770 Monitor

Hi,

I just got the Viewsonic PT770 monitor and wondered if the apple video adapter would work or do I need to get the Viewsonic adapter? I plan to use it on a 6100. Please help.

Pretty much any adapter would work - Griffin I think makes the most flexible ones but I usually just wander to the local shop and pick up the little DIP-switch ones. The usual problem is that the inexpensive ones lock you into a fixed resolution and scan rate..
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/video/index.html

I have Viewsonic and Sony monitors running off my older Macs onboard video through a number of different adapters

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. So I guess I need the adapter with the switches on it. I have a cheapie adapter with several fixed settings, but I havent tried it yet. I did call Viewsonic for their free adapter and have to be patient and wait for it to come in the mail. I downloaded the monitor profile. Do I also have to use the monitor profile for it to work? I have heard such good things about Viewsonic products and hopefully this monitor wont give me any problems.

That download was for a Mac Colorsync profile for your PT770? That would be all you would want. Everything else would be for PeeCees. And the download would save you from having to create your own Colorsync profile. Very nice to have but certainly not necessary to run the monitor. k

You do not need to replace the video adaptor that Apple supplied with your 6100. Just attach an inexpensive universal video adaptor to the end of it.

LasVegas,

I got the Viewsonic adapter and the PC monitor cable. Since I bought the monitor not knowing what the condition, how do I know if I got a lemon? I connected allthe cable svia the Apple video card. When I turn the monitor on, the screen is black and the indicator on the monitor flashes a green light. Is the monitor dead?

When I turn the monitor on, the screen is black and the indicator on the monitor flashes a green light. Is the monitor dead?

Not necessarily. The flashing green light may be indicating that no signal or an improper signal is available. What "Viewsonic" adapter are you using? Does it have any information printed on the adapter?

LasVegas,

I never knew that using a PC monitor on a Mac would be so difficult. I have a Viewsonic PT 770. I verified that my Apple video card is working properly using a Apple monitor. When I tried using the Viewsonic I used their Mac adapter. When I connect the monitor, I can hear it trying to come on and then the green indicator light comes on, but when I put the push the green light, then it flashes orange. I think there is a definite signal problem--sync issue or its broken. There is some writing on the Viewsonic adapter for the dip switches:

640x480 1,4
    640x870 2,4
    832x624 1,3
    1024x768 1,2
    1152x870 1,2,3,4

Sync Mode
    Separate 9,10
    Composite 8
    Separate/Composite 7,8,9,10
    Sync on green (no switches)

Default for the Viewsonic Adapter 1,4, 9, 10

Maximum Resolution
    Maximum : Up to 1600x1200, 66 Hz
    Macintosh : 1280x1024, 75 Hz
    Flicker free : 1280x1024, 77 Hz

Monitor info: http://www.griffintechnology.com/monitors/ViewS41.html

P.S. This pain in the butt is what I get for mixing apples and oranges. Maybe the monitor will work after I try different switch combinations until the signal is right. Maybe I need another adapter??? Oh well, I will think positive. What I will do is get some one to test the monitor on a PeeCee to make sure it actually works, hopefully it does.

LasVegas,

Thanks for all your help. I took the monitor to be checked and found out that the monitor is actually a lemon afterall. I wasnt surprised but at least I tried. I wasted more time than money on this purchase-a mere $25. I figured I had to get burned on some item sooner or later. Oh well...