Thread: Booting problem in G3 beige

Hi All,

Sorry for the previous message the computer froze (I'm using a PC right know so you know what I'm talking about!).
    Anyway, my problem is kind of weird. When I start the Mac it takes some time before something appears on screen (about 60 seconds) and then I see the floppy disk with the interrogation mark (not good!), if I use the reboot combination (CTRL+COMMAND+POWER) on the keyboard the system comes up just fine and works for days with nothing strange happening. I changed disk (IDE), cables, connector on the board (used the one that's in use by the CD) and nothing solves the problem. Every time I boot (cold boot) the same thing happens.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Hello David. No problem with the false post. Note that you can edit any of your own posts by clicking the little pencil and paper icon to the right of your name in the post.

You symptoms are indicative of faulty memory. You might want to reseat your RAM and/or run a memory test overnight on it. You can find an exceptional memory test program from XLR8 on the MacGurus ftp server. The program is called PowerControl.

If your problem only occurs at startup, you might consider turning off the Power-on Memory Test by holding Command and Option while you open the Memory control panel to access the checkbox.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 04 October 2001).]

Heh losvegas...FYI...I thought I'd go to the gurus ftp and get the control panel yoou note but via your direct link but I get a "password" window asking for a moderator password for "moderator@ftp...

Sorry. My goof. The link below is now fixed.

Perhaps I missed something that rules this out, but...

Could this be a flaky CMOS battery doing its Murphy imitation?

Losing the 'boot' partition when first powering up is a definite feature of a battery lying down on the job.

If you haven't changed this puppy recently, you might drop by Radio Shack and get one for about ten pesos. It even says "for Macintosh" on the card. It is a lithium '1/2 AA' beastie. Take the old one if you have doubts about getting the right one.

Make sure your boot drive is selected in the startup disk control panel. I've seen plenty of Macs 'forget' for no particular reason. Also check your HD with your fav utility for corruption. Funny things can happen where it'll work sometimes and not others.

If the partition is larger than 8GB and the System file is modified it may get written beyond 8GB point. Open Firmware may be at fault. 10.1 and older Macs have trouble switching between 9.1+ and 10.1.

System Picker use to be available and is now built into G4's Open Firmware (that's why Option key works).

Disk Warrior is invaluable piece of software insurance. Also may want to update the driver in Drive Setup, then run Test.

Gregory

Well, I have tried a few things and nothing worked.
    1) I replaced the memory but it didn't solve the problem
    2) I replaced the motherboard battery with no luck
    3) the PowerControl utility shows the CPU speed as 0Mhz (!?!) but tests on memory and CPU do not return any errors.
    4) I have tried to reinstall 9.1 on a new disk (only 4Gb big) with no luck.

What else can I try?

Thanks

David