Thread: Beige G3 Upgrade Suggestions?

Due to quirkiness of my employer, I am not allowed new Macs, so I exist off the kindness of other less encumbered departments. I am allowed a small upgrade budget. I recently "inherited" an beige G3/300 Minitower. It only had 128 MB of RAM, and I have already ordered an upgrade. I really want to avoid troubleshooting, and I would like recommendations as to whether I should get a ATA or a SCSI internal for my second drive, and whether that upgrade would require a expansion card. Also, would it be worth my time to get a USB/Firewire combo card? I am hooked up to the network for printing, filesharing, etc.

I plan to upgrade this Machine to OS X, so OS X compatibility is important.

Though I don't have one, the Beige G3/300 Minitower is a nice machine. The IDE or SCSI debate goes on, but the most affordable would be here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...gesofheck.html . Your machine should have the later revision ROM to allow both master and slave. However, we recently encountered someone with a Rev A ROM in a box similar to yours. So, you need to check Apple System Profiler (ASP) in the Apple Menu to check the ROM revision. Tell us what it says.

The USB/Firewire combo card, we like RATOC http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...cgi?ratoc.html because it just works. I wanted USB capability so that I could choose a USB printer, but of course some printers have multiple ways of connecting. I wanted FireWire so that I could purchase a FireWire CDRW. Those capabilities got me into the 20th century, let alone the 21st century.

I'm sure plenty have upgraded their Beige G3 to OSX. I know Louie has. Others will follow with more info. k

I would get an IDE drive for that machine.

and definitely, a RATOC. We just transitioned to MS keyboards and mice here, all USB, and they're decent. You will want to do so, as well, eventually.

that good old Apple Extended keyboard can only last so many years.

I really like both the IBM 75GXP Deskstars & the Western Digital BB series of IDE hard drives - fast, massive capacity, and cheap. The 80GB WD is just a tick over $200.

I really like the MS input devices too (especially the Explorer optical mouse), but think the Logitech keyboards are on par for almost half-price. The $15 "deluxe" model has a wonderful soft feel that MS keyboards don't...but that's just my preference

Hi,
    the ASP says Rom Revision $77D.40F2. The video card was the surprise -
    ATY mach64_3DU is the name, the model is ATY GT-B.
    I just got this G3 233 desktop, with 2 32 meg Dimms, but the OS was never
    updated from the original 8.0, and I'm sure no firmware updates were applied.
    Any help most welcome. I'm hoping to compile a list of firmware 4.1.8 compatible Dimms for this machine (32, 64 or 128 megs - very low prices these days). My
    chintzy Apple 15AV Display goes yellow, and only one speaker is working. I will
    start with upgrading the Ram, then the CPU (but I heard that Rev. A mob can't take ZIF upgrades?) and HDD. Hope to eventually build a website using Specular
    3D Web Workshop or similar older app.
    George (Canada)

You have a Rev A, so Slave devices on the two ATA channels are out. The Mach 64 is the ATI Rage II chipset used on the Rev A logic boards.