Thread: Plextor CD-ROM & Sound

Heya folks...a few months back I purchased a Plextor UltraSCSI Wide 40X CD-ROM (henceforth known as the Plextor). When I installed it, I discovered that when I play audio CDs there is no audio! I can plug in a set of earphones to the front of the Plextor itself and that is what I am listening to right now.

Now, some people suggested that it might be my audio cable. The audio cable from the back of the Plextor to the SND IN plug on the motherboard that is. The suggestion was to get a standard 4 pin to 4 pin, 3 wire connector, 18-20 inchest long MPC to MPC Cd-ROM cable.

This morning, I picked up a Belkin Pro Series MPC II compliant CD-ROM Audio Cable. Installed it and the problem persists. Grrrrr...

Any other ideas out there? The cable I might decide to keep...it's pretty cool with 3 sound card connectors on one end.

I was thinking maybe pick up a cheap Mac sound card(as if you can find one!) and see whether or not the problem is actually the Plextor itself? Any ideas?

You could go to intech's website and download a demo of speed tools...which has a feature that aloows you to play digital audio without using any audio cable. i am asumming that you have checked your sound control panel to make sure it is set-up properly.

Check to see if the cable you bought is physically setup correctly, as far as which wire(s) are ground and so on. If the wire is at all exposed (the insulation) it will be easy enough to see if it is sending things to the right pins on the mobo. Do you have the old cable and the old drive to compare the new stuff with?

Did you have a previous CDROM for which audio play-through worked? This would help narrow down the problem. If it worked before and your machine is otherwise configured the same, then it pretty much must be in the Plextor or the cable. However, if you've never had successful audio playthrough before, then the problem could be in the components from Plextor to speaker.

Wow! 3 Replies in the less than 2 hours. Gotta love this forum!

Ok, let's take it one at a time:

tm311..I am actually using Intech's SpeedTools...when you say that it allows you to play digital audio without using any audio cable, does that mean that I might have gotten it set up that way? I have OS 8.1 and I have checked my Monitor And Sound Control panel to allow Sound Output is Built In, Sound Monitoring Source is CD

Dogstarman...the new audio cable had the four pin to 4 pin set up...the thing was...the motherboard SND IN spot for the pins were too close to the FAN pins, they are side by side...so I had to put it in the best I can...slight slight chance of misalignment there. Not sure how else to fix it in that case because the cable end has a clip and it will not fit in any other way.

trag...the Plextor was a replacement for the original stock CD-ROM...and it played audio CDs great. Sooooo...I am suspecting it is the Plextor that is at fault now...hrmmmm

Great input from everybody and fast!!!

you need 8.6 i believe to run the audio in digital form and bypass the the cable...and you need to be running 5.6 or newer in the speedtools.

Is the board where the CD audio cable plugs in broken? I had 2 Plextors go back to the factory for that repair. One was an internal and one was their external unit. Pull the CD and make sure that the actual board is totally intact and looking fine. They have a great warranty. And they are great products. But PCBs break.

Can you replace the Plextor with the old CD to double check?

You do indeed need OS 8.6 to run DIgital Audio via the SCSI cable.

Ok folks, I've got great news!!!

I took the advice here and I upgraded my machine to 9.0.4(we got the CD in case anyone was curious as to how I managed to upgrade the machine overnight on the weekend ) The upgrade was a bear to do and I ignored all sorts of warnings from the installation process. I've sorta got that curse the torpedos full steam ahead mentality.

I also upgraded my SpeedTools to 5.7 from 5.5. I followed the instructions and when it did not work I was very...uh...upset

But, I stopped myself from the upcoming rampage and restarted the machine and the upgrade took! I can now play Carol King's Tapestry full blast! yay!!!
    I suspect that the audio on the Plextor may in fact be defective as dogstarman suggests but as long as I can bypass the audio cable I am happy.

I want to thank tm311, dogstarman and trag for their advice here!!! You guys have been great!!!

Yippee! Good way to start off Father's Day. It's always a good thing to be able to do away with a cable.

After any SW upgrade, I like to let it do its "Restart" routine. Then give it a shutdown and then give it a cold start. I have grown almost superstitious in some of my routines. Glad you got it working. Quite a leap from 8.1 to 9, huh?

Oh yeah...getting used to it right now...some cosmetic changes but later this year I am going to blow away the entire HD and upgrade the HD subsystem with a new drive and card. We will see.