Thread: Just how important is the fan on an ATI video card, anyway

I didn't even know video cards had fans, but after a client kept complaining that their G4 intermittently sounded like a pickup truck painfully climbing a mountainous dirt road, I investigated.

It did sound bad. Like a drive failing.

After eliminating all the drives and system fan as culprits, I discovered the ATI video card has a tiny fan integrated into its heatsink. Most of you probably knew that, but it was news to me until I stuck my finger in it....

The thing was so amazingly loud, and because the machine is being used in a sound studio the noise had to go. So I just disconnected the fan.

Seems to me that

A) at worst, the card burns out.

B) at best, the card lives a long, happy, quiet life.

Since the noise is unacceptable, the card will either be replaced now or later, if it dies. I

t's very cool inside this machine, and I figure the card will last a while yet no matter what. Also, maybe the only reason it comes on inside a cool machine is that its temp sensor is shot (along with its tiny but sonically powerfully bearings).

Thoughts? Can these dumb little heatsink/fans be replaced? Or should I just leave it without fan and see if it fries?

Search thru Mike Breedeen's site. I vaguely remember when the noisey ATI fan problem surfaced months ago that some new machines had cards with fans and some had no fans. Whatever, Breeden had quite a bit about it.

Thanks, Louie. I'll check that out.

that's odd...I've got a few of those boards here, Bill, and none of them are loud like that.

maybe you need to hit that particular fan with some silicon lube?

perhaps this reply is too late but it has been asked a couple of times after this elsewhere too... ?

ATI chipsets run very cool & you can safely unplug the fan (I have). I believe the Radeon chipset gives off less than 5W and there is a pretty widespread belief (among PC Radeon owners anyway) that the fan is just for show. Can't have the GeForce 2's sport a huge HSF and not the Radeon, right?

Of course, this changes if you are overclocking the Radeon's RAM...

[This message has been edited by benkim (edited 15 June 2001).]