Thread: Apple Guide broke...Would check Apple Guide but...

Here's one that's annoying more than anything else...my Apple Guide locks up my 9600 (ub?īr mutt), but not my 9500 or 7200. Since I don't use Apple guide, or subsidiary help all that often I hadn't noticed.

This anomaly persists even if I boot from a 9.1 CD, us 9.1 Base or 9.1 All extension sets, CarbonLib 1.2.5 or 1.3.1...I don't think any hair pulling will occur, as I don't need this functionality, but if anyone knows the fix, please share...I keep accidentally selecting Help from contextual menus, and the crashes are irksome.

Cheers,
    Chris

Chris,

I found something here http://www.macfixit.com/reports/macos9.1-a.shtml and search for Apple Guide. k

Kaye,

Thanks for the link...unfortunately it didn't help. I think there is something going on behind the scenes, perhaps with CarbonLib 1.3.1 (although a downgrade didn't help the problem, a diff between the machines revealed that the 9500 is running 1.2.5, and the 9600 [where Help/ Guide is broken] 1.3.1). Doing a Diff also revealed a QuickHelp Extension on the 9600, but trashing that didn't help. Nor did replacing the obvious components of the help system.

What really baffles me is that the problem persists even when booting from a 9.1 CD. I think I might boot into Classic inside of X to see if it works there...

You have X on both machines? I remember Louie telling me that he stuck an X CD in a Beige G3, didn't even run the installer, but the CD put something in NVRAM that prevented booting his machine until he finally cleared the NVRAM. So maybe something in NVRAM. k

Kaye,

I only have X on the 9600, but have cleared the NVRAM since my last boot into X, and both X, and the 9.1 for X systems are on a seperate bus from my usual boot volume.

So the NVRAM shouldn't be bad...X can't see or write to my standard 9.1 boot volume. I am curious if the Help Viewer is confused by my 'Applications (OS 9) folder...the boot volume aliases an apps folder on an apps volume. This broke Sherlock, but the Help Viewer appears to be contained entirely in the system folder...

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 03 June 2001).]

Try trashing the preferences for the Help Viewer. k