Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD SpeedTools headache

I thought you ordered a second drive two weeks ago.

They're back ordered Louie. Could be another week before I get it.

Meanwhile Mikester I tried your combative approach. Downloaded a copy of DW 2.1 and put it to work and it seemed to be fixing a lot of things until it got to step 9 where I got a dialog saying that a "disk malfunction occurred while writing the replacement directory to the disk". I hit OK and it crashes. Repeated tries produce the same result. Same thing with TechTool: it builds a new directory but hangs when I push the go button.

But it continues to run like nothing's wrong. More voodoo.

if your drive is seriously corrupted, then there is nothing you can do but reinitialize. actually, i know audio/video guys that basically reinitialize their working drives between every project. that way they always start with a fresh disk.
    repeated crashes will muck up your directory...catalog tree.
    i wouldn't put an enormous amount of stock into what tech tool says. depending on who you talk to, it's either the greatest thing since VCRs or not worth installing. i just use it to rebuild my desktops. it does that well.
    Norton Disk doctor and Disk warrior are the standards used by almost everyone. they work as maintenace tools and sometimes as last resorts...
    M

Hey Fun,

Maybe you developed a bad block somewhere in the directory partitions. A low level format should take care of that. I do think DW was your best shot at fixing it if it could have fixed by any utility.

I thank you both for your good advice. The new drive came today and I've got it installed and running. I'll reinitialize the old X15 tomarrow. I used to use NDD but I guess I heard some negative things about it so I left it behind when I upgraded the OS.

MM, my favorite Sam Jackson line is from Pulp Fiction, when he tells the robber in the diner to pull his wallet out of the bag.

"which one is it?"

"the one that says 'bad Mother-F*cker" on it."

and sure enough, there is a wallet with that embossed on the leather. I almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

come to think of it...that movie has several great Sam Jackson lines.

SJ has been in some great movies but I just couldn't see him cast in "Shaft". He's way way too real and Shaft never was anything more than urban fantasy.

Pulp Fiction may be the best movie ever made....if not at least its the most enjoyable to watch. every time you see it you catch several new scenes. You gotta love uma and john in the restaurant...hes all wacked on heroin walking through looking for her...and them talking about the 5 dollar shake...but thats not as good as sam eating the guys kahuna burger and drinking his sprite. well guess its time to put the kids to bed and fire up the DVD player....gotta see it again. bruce willis was amazing as well...telling the "watch' story as his girlfriend is wanting blueberry pancakes.....just amazing acting.

I remember reading about a guy who was inspired to start his own business by Pulp Fiction. It was that part where they shoot that guy in their car and so they have to go to a nearby friend’s house on account of having a dead body in the back seat and all that blood all over everything and so they call in Harvey Keitel (I forget his character’s name) who’s some kind of problem fixer guy and he takes charge of things and gets everything all cleaned up and the boys back on the road...some classic footage there; so anyway this guy’s watching this and says to himself “that’s what I want to be” (the Harvey Keitel character) and so he went ahead and got a truck and had some cards made up and passed them around homicide bureaus and coroners offices and after awhile people started calling and now he’s got his own company where he goes around and cleans up the mess when say someone’s murdered with a shotgun in a motel room, or some old person just dies at home and nobody finds out for about a month. Apparently this is a niche that no one had ever thought to exploit. Think about it. You can’t just call in a maid service. He said it was a little hard at first figuring out how to deal with all this stuff, stains and liquids and smells and all, but now he’s got protective suits and this special vacuum that’ll suck up anything and he said business was good, not much competition, and he had plans to start franchising. Shows to goya.

Just trying to get in on the conversation here.

By the way the whole problem with DW was solved by running it with extensions off. I guess when the percentage of items out of order gets beyond a certain point, and my disks were up around 30%, that’s what you have to do. Then there’s that wrapper System file bug. Perhaps that was a factor? I notice now that the percentage starts to creep up almost immediately so I’ve been running the repair quite often, like at least once every few hours or every session. Tech Tool is returning clean reports again.

hey Fun
    sounds like you have some extension conflicts. Unfortunately, sorting that out can be laborious (unless you can use Conflict Catcher?). Have to backtrack through your recent software upgrades/installs to find the offender[s]. Disk First Aid can fix the system wrapper errors, if you haven't got 'em already.

In honor of the date, my favorite Pulp Fiction line comes earlier in the same scene magician mentioned, where Samuel L (discussing bacon) says:

"...it'd have to be one charmin' mutha-f*ckin' pig..."

Happy Mutha's Day

oh, yeah...

His name was Winston...they called him "The Wolf." Not sure if his last name was Wolf, but he was "The Wolf," and he definitely told Jimmy (Tarantino's cameo) to call him Winston.

Fun....WHERE did you read about that guy!?

Mag: Sorry to be so long getting back to you on this. You've probably lost interest by now. But anyway I actually I heard about the guy, a one Mr Neal Smithers, on an NPR interview. But you all can read about him here http://www.ilovebacon.com/noway/091100.shtml and here http://eastbay.bcentral.com/eastbay/...28/story8.html and then there’s http://www.thestranger.com/2000-12-28/city4.html.

And for your further enjoyment I dug this one up http://www.moviesounds.com/pulpfict.html

And then if there's any other Pulp Fiction/insomniac/anal/Tarantino junkie types with too much time on there hands left standing out there I offer http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/pulp.shtml and http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...10/100405.html and http://www.cgjungpage.org/films/jbpulp.html

(What did people do before Copy and Paste?)

[This message has been edited by Funicular (edited 27 May 2001).]

ugh.

think i'll stick to selling upgrades.

Now....was the guy who sold John Travolta the"madman"heroin, also played by the same guy who played Jimmy(QT)? Both GREAT characters!!!

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 28 May 2001).]

Nope. Eric Stoltz.

right.

Jimmy was Quentin Tarantino himself.

the dope dealerwas Eric Stolz.

here's a trivia question from hell: who played the gimp?

was Vin Raynes amazingly good, or what?

No....I'm a LONG ways from being alright.....(when butch asks Marsalis if hes alright)

As for the trivia question...any answer would be have been a guess without the internet. But a hint for those not looking it up....Reindeer Games and Mission to Mars.

Hers a cool link:
    http://www.godamongdirectors.com/tar...q/secrets.html

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 28 May 2001).]

you're kidding!

HE was the gimp? (Still not looking it up--but you DO mean Gary Sinise, right?)

that article was superb--probably the best yet.

definitely one of the best flicks of all time.

what's QT doing lately? Does he have something in development?

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 01 June 2001).]

Yes thats who it was, i searched out "who played the gimp in pulp fiction" using "google"(The Macguru's of search engines!!) and not only that pop up, but i also got the 2 cool links about the movie. Which lead me to wonder WHAT was in the briefcase, i just always assummed it was gold bars or gold coins, now i'm not sure. I saw QT the other night on dennis miller, he was not plugging anything.

Just realized i only sent one link last weekend.heres a cool second link that gives the "timeline"..
    http://www.godamongdirectors.com/tar.../sequence.html

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 01 June 2001).]

Sorry to dissappoint guys. But the gimp is played by Stephen Hibbert.

He wrote "It's Pat"....SNL-based, remember? $660,000 worldwide? Not too good for a movie release. 1994. Also wrote for "Boy Meets World" and "Animaniacs".

That last bit I looked up, but I knew it wasn't Sinise. The build is all wrong. So I popped in the DVD and watched chapter 27 (credits) and voila.