Thread: Video or OS 8.5 problem in 8500

I just fixed up an 8500 for sale (already sold). I low level formatted the disk and installed OS 8.5. I then installed Twin Turbo 128 and a Game Wizard (12 MB Voodoo 2) cards. I installed the latest drivers that I got with the cards from a guru moderator. To try out the video cards I used a Links Pro golf game that I hadn't played since OS 7.5.3 a few years ago. When I have the player swing it doesn't take the mouse clicks correctly and always does a maximum swing. Any thoughts as to whether it's the video drivers or an incompatability between the game and OS 8.5?

I forgot to say that the 8500 has a PowerLogix 220/512 G3 upgrade overclocked to 276 MHz.

[This message has been edited by Big Al (edited 28 May 2001).]

Too many variables. My gut would say back down the processor (not OC'd) and make sure the game is compatible with a MUCH newer OS. 7.5.3 to 8.5 is a huge leap. Other than that, there are a ton of things to ask, and I am sure you don't wanna make this a huge project.

Examples:What mouse (correct drivers, etc)? What QT? Other cards installed? Enough RAM? Complete SW for the cards (any OpenGL or whatever....no clue about those cards)?

Try a later game. Even something as simple as a minesweeper or Tetris-y thing, just to check clickability and QuickTime and all. That's my 2 cents.

You're right, I don't want to make it a big project. I've tried a couple if different mice. I think the cpu was overclocked with 7.5.3, but I don't remeber that far back as it was my handicapped nephew's computer. I'm just the computer person in the family. I don't have any other games as it was an educational computer and all those titles run fine. I think I'l just leave it alone unless someone else has had the same problem and knows the fix. I only have a 28.8 modem for it so I'm not going setup the machine to download the upgrade for 8.6.1. Thanks.

Well, SW doesn't overclock the processor. It is usually switches or jumpers on the card. I would see if you could set it back to its rated speed before sending it out. That's the last thing you need....someone complaining about an unstable machine that you sold them.

tachyon Guest

Al:
    It's unlikely to be the video card drivers or QuickTime interfering with the mouse clicks, rather the game appears to be too old for the OS. They did make a few more versions of Links, perhaps try a more recent edition?
    But 8.6 is recommended by Apple, I would look around for an old MacUser/MacWorld CD-ROM. The updater used to be included nearly every month!

Older software sometimes needs "TSM Fix". You can find it in the Hyperarchive or read about it in Extension Overload.

Game writers are notorious for not following Apple's software rules. They do anything for speed. For years there were warned not to use places like the bowels of the PRAM for their code. Many of the older games don't work now. With many, the sound was first to go.

Thanks to all who replied. I was just trying to verify the video card installs. I'm assuming that the game didn't mesh with the newer OS. Since everything else displays just fine I'm calling the 8500 stable and ready to go. By the way, if anything goes wrong I only have to go about a mile from home to fix it. The 8500 is replacing a 6100 for my nephew's communication therapist. She works with handicapped people and accessibility software of all types and I think she'll like the additional power.