Thread: 840av to 8500 upgrade problem

Hi;

I finally scrounged up enough parts (i think) to upgrade my trusty 840av to an 8500 power mac. I have the 8500 logic board, a 150 mhz processer board, and the 8500 rear panel. I thought this would be all that was required, maybe I'm wrong.
    The 8500 logic board is used, and came with 32 megs memory, and a cache chip, but that's all. After putting all the pieces and parts together, I tried to boot the computer, but I get no start up chime, and the monitor stays dark. The hard drive spins up, and the power on LED lights up, but nothing else. Am I missing something??
    The 8500 MB did not come with a ROM chip (which I think I need, right?), so I took one out of a 6xxx something MB that I had laying around. It plugged in, but is too large. I also changed the battery with a fresh one, but it didnt make any difference. Can anyone lead me in the right direction with this upgrade, as I don't know what to try next.

Thank you in advance...Brian

pull that ROM, please. It is not needed.

i would test the power supply, and swap daughtercards.

make sure everything is well -seated.

pull the cache, just for now.

you can work with just one DIMM installed at the outset, until you get things rolling.

Does the 840AV power supply have the connector for 3.3V supply? Without 3.3V the machine won't work right. However, a PPC604/150 should boot without 3.3V, your PCI slots just won't work. Hmmm. A PPC604e or G3 will give just the symptoms you have without 3.3V. I haven't tested this issue extensively, but I do know that you need the power supply to put out a 3.3V supply (in addition ot the traditional 5, 12, -5, -12) in order for the 8500 to work properly.

Hi again;

Thanks for the help so far. I pulled the ROM, cache, and one DIMM, but these changes made no difference. I haven't checked the output of the power supply, yet, but it was working fine in the 840av, so I assume it is alright. I only have the one daughter card at the moment, so I haven't swapped it, yet.
    I checked with the supplier of the 150 mhz card I have, and it is a 604e card, then I checked the label on the power supply, and don't see an output of 3.3 volts listed. Maybe I should pick up an 8500 power supply, and try again, huh.
    I'll post back as soon as I locate one with the results. My thanks so far for everyone's help.

Brian

tachyon Guest

It?ll probably work when he gets the Power supply. Apple sez the 840AV & 8100 power supplies were interchangeable, but differed for the 8500 model. Specifically "NOT backwards compatible" is their terminology, even though it might physically fit. Darn, I was hoping to upgrade my 8100 at some stage...