Thread: SCSI & Monitor

I have re-connected my 17" Viewsonic monitor to my Power Computing Power Tower Pro 225. However, if I connect anything to the SCSI port (hard drive, zip, jaz) the monitor does not function. It lights up but there are no icons on the screen.

Hang on...what does the monitor do if SCSI is connected? Does it show the desktop? Are you connecting the SCSI while the computer is off (I hope)? I am not going to get too wrapped up in this yet til I am sure of what the monitor is doing. It's an odd situation, as described, to be sure!

I connect the SCSI with the computer off. The monitor comes on but the start up process does not begin (no happy icon). Screen just remains blank.

It sounds like a grey-screen freeze. This is a common symptom of SCSI problems. The most likely explanation is that the SCSI bus is not configured properly somewhere along the way.

I would check the termination at the ends of your SCSI chain. If you need more detailed advice on what that entails, post here.

Do you know if your internal SCSI devices are on your internal (Fast) bus or if they are connected to the internal/external bus?

I'll agree whole-heartedly with trag on this one. In my experience, your most likely dealing with an ID problem. The computer can't load because it is looking for an ID for the startup drive, but the ID is there twice. If nothing was plugged in as a startup device, you would boot to a flashing "?". Either termination or ID. That should do it.

I rechecked all the cable connections in the daisy chain and found one was loose. System is now working fine. Thanks.

You're welcome. It's always reassuring when the suggestions work.

I love it when it an easy (and free!) fix.