Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crashing under ASIP 6.3 w/ Miles2 card

Hey.. now it seems to be working... Maybe removing that external narrow SCSI hard drive resolved the Retrospect problem.. (SCSI voodoo indeed...)

Chris

Resolution to my Retrospect problems (at least so far)

(1) removed an external APS drive and now I don't have hardware freezes during the backups. I had even installed a Granite activer terminator but that didn't help...
    (2) gave more memory to my Retrospect Applescript that creates my Web logs and automatic e-mailing. It would randomly crash whenever it ran *outside* of the Script Editor.

So far so good...

Chris

chris, sorry i am just now seeing this.....

one thing: those APS enclosures use some sort of weird proprietary backplane that they engineered thinking that they could simplify SCSI termination. Of course, they often end up causing more problems than they solve....I routinely used to yank those things OUT of their enclosures, and replace their crappy PVC cabling with Granite Teflon or TPO, as the case required. Too much noise on the backplane.

not sure if that explains anything....but I stopped using their enclosures a long time ago....about the same time I found the Burly's from a gent from Taiwan. APS often used wimpy power supplies, too. And that can have really weird impact on a SCSI bus. In fact, I suspect most actual cases of verified voodoo are probably power related.

anyway, glad to hear you're back up!

(now I need to go get a sandwich.....)

Hi Mag,

Yup - that would seem to be the case.. This external APS drive though - it's been rock solid for over 5 years now .. anyways I have yanked the drive units out of several APS units lately - usually MO drives - and I think it's time to build up some of my own enclosures to resolve some really funky device issues...

Further to the original ASIP question - have you seen the new Mac OS X server package that Apple has come out with?. Very tempting to upgrade from ASIP 6.3 to that new package now on a dual 533 G4 machine...

Chris

I DID see that....I'm going to wait and see what happens with upgrade pricing, etc.

That might be the last server revision I ever buy. I'll config it and then forget about it for real.

I am sorely tempted to try and run it on iMacs.

Interesting eh?. I wonder what they will do for the loyal ASIP users. I pulled down the big PDF document on migrating from ASIP to Mac OS X server... looks like it should be relatively painless... Here's my conundrum... right now all my server volumes are running on an external Burly LVD box (4 x 36 GB Cheetahs split into two Raid 1 volumes. This is running off a Miles2 card in a G3-upgraded 7300... I guess I'm wondering what I should do re: that new Mac G4 server. If I get the dual-533 machine, then which card should I get to run the LVD array esp. since we'd be under OS X. From past discussions, it sounded like I should look at the Atto boards rather than an Initio esp since I would be in a G4.

Comments

Chris