Thread: 8500/G4 400 artifacts etc.

I've just upgraded my 8500 via Xlr8 G4/400. I'm using 2 monitors, a Sony 17 off of the factory apple video 2mb vram and a 20" RasterOps off of a Rage Orion.

I've noticed that it takes a bit longer for the video to start up after the upgrade. And sometimes the 17 won't come up at all so I'll restart a couple of times and then it's fine except for those weird verticle white lines and spots within menu selections. I'll actually hear the delayed static sound when the monitor off of the factory video decides to awaken a few moments after the rage boots the raster ops.

I've disabled the apple video acceleration, I'm running system 9.1

The connections seem fine, should I get some new vram?

Thanks

Dave

G3 upgrades tended to cause video artifacts when using logic board video. I assume that G4's do also. You've already removed Builtin Video Accelleration. Sixty nanosecond VRAM might help if you can find it.

Dave,

Never laid hands on an 8500 but sometimes the video can't keep up with a fast G3/G4. The result is artifacts. Try pulling and reinstalling the VRAM after blowing out the slot to clear the dust. The problem with purchasing new VRAM is that it is hard to find (the Gurus have it here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mbppc8500.html ) and impossible to find faster than 70ns these days.

Your two existing 1MB modules, I don't know if they can be moved around to see if that will eliminate the artifacts. Someone else will have to say. k

I bought 60 ns VRAM about a year ago from Mac Solutions.

Also use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 21 May 2001).]

Thanks for your help, i pulled it apart and moived things around, cleaned contacts etc. reestablished good connections and so far so good. thanks!