Thread: PowerTower very loud with cold boot

I am sitting here listening to my PTP purring like a kitten...i barely hear the HD's and the fans are noticable but not offensive, in other words just the way its supposed to be. However this morning and everytime i shut down and maybe work on the inside for whatever reason....after the computer has been down for a couple hours it starts up like a tank...and it doesn't sound healthy at all, i end up having to do a couple restarts or maybe a shut down and start-up before it settles into its normal routine....is this normal? the idea of buying a a new x15 to replace my 2 year old 10k cheetahs is sounding better all the time.

This is not normal. You have done the normal drive maintenance with NDD and DFA and DW? Battery more than 2 years old? Have you tried this cold boot with the cover off to see exactly what is making the noise?

From an auto parts store I purchased a stethescope with a long metal tube on the end for tracking down noise. Inexpensive and will work for your situation. It really magnifies the noise when you have that tube on the offender. k

i shut down last night and rebooted cold this morning ...i would say that without a stethescope i think its coming from the yamaha cd-rw or the plextor40x...which i have been having cd-rom trouble in the past so this makes sense..it is not coming from the cheetahs which to me i a very good thing...if i push up on the bottom of the yamaha(it sits in the second slot down just above my top cheetah, so i can reach my hand under it...if i push on it from the bottom i can affect the noise...almost slowing it down or letting it speed up...this tells me it might be a fan(if there is a fan on an internal cd-rom....i would guess yes...i will trouble shootfurther this weekend.

I don't think the Yamaha has a fan. If the Yamaha is the noise source, my guess is the drive motor. I've never torn one apart.

The whole Yamaha box may be torqued. Loosen all the screws holding it in, and maybe it will straighten out. Try again before tightening the screws. k

i had the noise again a few minutes ago...this was the first time i had it when the computer was already running....i pulled the burner and took the caseing apart..there is a tiny little fan in the back that is making all the noise...i will leave it out for now and see how easy it will be to find a replacemnt...and i am not sure it is user replaceable as the plug seems to be pretty wrapped into the unit itself...i have had it just over a year so i would think warrantee repair is not likely. i am guessing that wd40 is out of the question huh?

i have found what i believe is a direct replacement fan for this cd-r. it is made by panasonic and is model# udqfb3. Now i just need to find out where to buy it.

WD 40 might help short term, but evaporates fairly rapidly.

Or Endust... right, Louie?

JUST KIDDING. DO NOT, under any circs, use Endust on your Mac.

Yeah, End Dust! Somebody did that. Who was it? I didn't have the heart to tell him after the fact. Jeez, I'll bet he has a mess.

take it apart and hit it with carefully applied blasts of silicon lube--Radio Shack has it.

I use WD40 when immolating flying insects: you fire up a bic, direct a stream of WD40 at the nearest flying bug, and a satisfying jet of flame minutely impacts the evolutionary development of the species you just torched.

True, this is not really a buddhist past time....but it sure beats gouging deep furrows into your face after drenched, itchy days in the deep bush. More shit flies in the air in a real jungle than you can believe. I hate insects. Mostly because they WILL inherit the Earth. They've already won. We're just a passing phase in a long history which has already been written.

My college room mate could turn his farts into a flame thrower the same way you use WD 40. His aim was not so good, though. It was mostly for show.