Thread: G3PTPro MacOS 9.1 and a PCI USB card with Keyboard

I posted on the USB forum PCIUSB , but it doesnt seem like anyone goes there... So here this is again.

I installed a MacALLY USB/Firewire PCI card a few weeks ago. I was running 8.6 and noticed that this was not so stable with Firewire devices connected and was worse with USB stuff connected. I have since upgraded to 9.1 and am trying to use a USB keyboard through a KVM Mini-View Monitor/USB switch and hub.

The idea is to use the single keyboard/mouse for my B&WG3, PB2K, PTPro and S900. It works fairly well for the systems with native USB. There is a pesky issue with UT where if I switch to another system while UT is full screen - I will loose the mouse and keyboard. This also happens when in 2D mode, but because UT is controlling the computer I can usually get out of it. Otherwise it works great on the PowerBook and Yosemite.

The PTPro is a different story. Its upgraded to the MAX with an
    XLR8G3/466 (running at 500/250/50),
    MilesU2W (with 2x9GB Viking2 + 2x18GB AtlasV),
    MilesBlueNote (with 2x9G Cuda+40xPlextor),
    256MB of interleaved RAM,
    An ATI RAGE128VR
    A 3Dfx V5 with 1.1.2 drivers
    The MacALLY USB/FW card
    A MacAlly 10/100baseT NIC
    It is running 9.1 and all drive pairs are RAIDed -0 (striped) with SR 2.2.2

I had lots of issues trying to boot with the USB and ADB attached. Often it would fail to fully boot (crashon boot). Removing the ADB worked for a while. It would usuall (90%) of the time boot up. It was fairlystable, but not nearly as stable as I am used to. A crash or two a day was not uncommon. I decided toremove the restart warning (and disk first aid) because the USB keyboard did not allow me to hit theOK button after DFA ran. I assume the USB drivers hand not loaded. It then went from bad to worseand failed to boot all together. I couldnt get it to boot off the CD-ROM to run any utilities. I disconnectedthe USB and only connected the 3Dfx V5 and booted off the ADB keyboard. It still wouldnt boot off thePlextor - that is MacOS 9.1 would not boot off the Plextor. I removed the nearly useless 2GB stockdrive connected to the internal SCSI bus and installed an Apple 12x CD ROM. It finally booted and I was able to run some tests with DW and DFA. It is working now and stable... any idea on how to get a USB keyboard working, or is is a lost cause?

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by PENDRAGON18 (edited 27 April 2001).]

P18,

Your USB keyboard, what brand? I recall some recent threads on MacFixIt relating to MacALLY USB stuff (I can't remember what but there was a variety of MacALLEY hardware) causing problems. k

I think I have a MacAlly keyboard. Its definately not stock Apple, but I could dig one up. My B&WG3 and powerbook are fine with it, but I guess these old systems may be a bit more touchy.

I don't use MacAlly anything.

I would be much more willing to jump in on a post like this if it were 90% shorter.

I would be much more willing to jump in on a post like this if it were 90% shorter.

Yes, but they you may wonder why I left so much out.

Just try to cover all the bases. I just got an Apple branded keyboard... with ally's like this who needs enimies?-)

I mean no offense, and extend regrets if offense was taken.

if you would like me to attempt to assist you in the future, short and sweet posts will win every time over a novel.

of course, there are others posters here, other members, and plenty of other Gurus. Maybe they prefer long posts. I speak only for myself.

None taken... Its strange that the MacAlly USB/FW card and the MacAlly USB keyboard dont get along. I got an Apple PRO keyboard and it works great and the MacAlly USB mouse is working fine to. I was thinking about using my old Blue/USB keyboard because it actually fits in my keyboard 'slot'. What prevented me was that missing USB extension cord. Weird