Thread: crashes, freezes on a RAID array - reformat?

Hi, I'm running system 904 off of two 18 GB Cheetahs set up in an array (installed new in October last year) in a 7600 and have been getting a lot more crashes and freezes lately with a variety of programs going down to errors 3, 4, 11. The system's in good shape - clean reinstall, Disk Warrior optimized, to no real improvement - I'm wondering if maybe the drives need low level reformatting (which I don't want to do unless of course I have to). Anyone had the same suspicions or resolutions?

Thanks,

Rich

Hey roadster,

I'd say reformatting would be the very last step of last resort. You can test your disks with a good utility to find out if you have bad blocks before you reformat.

Hardware issues first, you need to reconfirm connections, termination, cable integrity and SCSI ID issues. Check or better, replace, your PRAM battery. Should have 2.6 V under load. Zap PRAM with a cold retart and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys for three chimes.

Next, software issues, you should rule out an extension conflict.

HTH

i am also having some stability problems with my raid.....and last night i did a full reformat....and right after i did that i had a couple crashes this morning.....so i agree with MM...do that as a last resort...it used to be in the old days there was alot more info on extension conflicts....is that still a hottopic in the mac world??? All i hear is how stable 9.1 is.but i have alot more crashes with 9.1 than i ever did with 8.6.

MM:

3.6v not 2.6v.

Thanks Louie, the mind is a terrible thing to waste, isn't it?

Mine is wearing out.

just update drivers.

it is rarely necessary to low-level format.

it is a good idea to reinitialize every once in awhile....maybe even quarterly, if you are working on a beta machine with lots of testing going on....but a production workstation should be stable enough that you reinitialize bi-annually, maybe even once a year, when you upgrade.

Nice to hear the negative on the reformat. Gotta new battery (from Gurus , PRAM zapped, all that stuff, so it may even be an extension conflict. These days that's maybe even a worse chore than a reformat and I'm really just waiting for drivers to move to OSX - stability's now at the top of my list. Anyway thanks for the feedback - saved me some extra grief I reckon.

Epilog: problem fixed - but it can easily happen. Turns out after downloading iTunes it installed the Apple CD/DVD driver extension which had been previously disabled as it conflicts with the CD/DVD SpeedTools control panel needed with an Ultraplex CDROM. Trashing the driver cured all the hassles.

Thanks again for the feedback.

MM, when I was in the SF Engineer's course, we used to say "A MINE is a terrible thing to waste."

I like Drive Setup because I can run Test in background. No such feature in SoftRAID.

I've been having trouble all week, multiple low-level and update/install driver (SoftRAID each time).

I have mirror and stripped volumes on two drives but not on 3rd. But no 3rd party driver (APS, Drive Setup, Intech HDST 3.2, FWB HDT4) will let me. APS shows volumes that are NOT on the drive are.

I was using the drive just for OS X as simple HFS+.
    Norton SystemWorks SD froze during optimize.
    Have had nothing but trouble since.

I even ordered another drive to use until I can get this one working safely.

low-level, clean install 9.1, everything feels good, filled the drive (18GB) with files almost. But when I try to run stuff off the drive... disaster.

Is it OS X? SpeedDisk? And how can I clear the SoftRAID driver totally?

Gregory

Hey Mag.

I knew you were crazy, but I didn't know you went to to such a prestigious school. I guess you ran into Clay More and Betty Bounce at one time or another on the C4 campus.

you thought I just grew up this way?

I'll have you know that I credit the US government for my psychoses.

(Not that I didn't avidly volunteer for every twisted part of my sick education, or willingly participate in my moral disfigurement--I did. And it was my honor to be trained in skills with few redeeming social features. If I could make a small recommendation, though, it would be to ensure that professionals who wander off the reservation be ensured of at least minimal maintenance. Many's the time I sat idly and plotted how to bring a selected city to its knees.......fortunately, I never actually sat down and wrote the campaign, or did the target analysis. If I had done that, I would have been in big, big trouble.)