Thread: XLR8 Speed Control panel for G3 466/233¬óthis seems weird!

Hello,

I was looking at my speed control panel for my XLR8 G3 card in an 8600, when I noticed something *funny* about the animated graphic. If your familiar with the processor/backside cache graphic, it shows little balls moving back and forth from the backside cache to the processor, accompanied with sound. Well, in my control panel, the balls connecting to the backside cache move back and forth 3 or 4 times, then they pause for a quick second, then move back and forth 3 or 4 times then they pause again, on and on etc.. The sound the panel plays also follows this rythm, and I can't get the shaky feeling out of my mind that this process should be smooth, not jerky.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and could they check their control panel to see if this is common? The reason I am concerned is I have noticed that certain programs and games seem to have a similiar jerky pause to them when I am playing, which has always seemed wrong too. This pause is consistent to the 3 or 4 seconds of movement, then a quick pause, then movement. I really don't know whats going on, because this jerky feeling happened when I had my 300 processor, and I don't understand why the new G3 card would be the same. Unless... I have a ATI Orion video card, just in case your wondering.

Thanks,
    -steven

They just released a new beta version this morning which I haven't tried yet. It mentions fixing "graphics". It must be that. They all do that in the CP, but not in apps. What apps?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 21 April 2001).]

The new Speed Control is jerky too.

mine is jerky.

I am going to give the new control panel a try anyway. Games I have noticed a jerky feel are Bolo and some cheap Blockout game, and sometimes Microbeast Word.

I thought maybe I figured something out!

-S

xlr8 control panel graphics (the little bounceing balls thing) is jerky on my G3 but games seem smoothish (the ish is due to my 66 mhz bus).

I tried the new beta speed control panel, and the graphics are smooth for me now. I haven't noticed any performance difference, but then again I didn't expect one. Thanks for all the advice.

-s

Beta 7 just came out.

I'll install it the next time I feel like doing a restart.....too much going on right now.