Thread: NAV trouble

Hi Gurus,
    Well all was fine. I happened to be reading your advice at http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgscsisoftware.html and while I am generally careful about running the mac (limit extensions, plenty of RAM, no questionable software and other useless stuff installed) I had no Virus stuff installed. I did have NAV 5 that I wasn't using.

So, I installed it and restarted and my mac stopped and just spun the clock right before all my desktop icons appeared and startup was complete. Very odd. I restarted w/o extensions and turned off Auto protect and it was fine. Then I ran live update to get caught up on virus defs, that took a bit! Restarted, tried to run NAV and I got type 3 error. Increased the memory partition (oh for OSX...) and restarted, same thing. Then I said, heck I need to get to work, I'll get back to this.

Then I started having a few random crashes and then I started losing all the icons in the apple menu, most were a generic icon, like a page with a pencil. Then files would not be able to find their applications. I promptly trashed all things NAV and restarted, all is fine.

What was that all about?

I am running a 7300/180 with Sonnet G3/400/1m 424 ram, Miles2, Atlas 10k LVD drive (9gig), XLR8 USB card (this has a Wacom Tablet and Quark USB dongle attached)

I would like to have virus protection, but this feels a bit like if it isn't broke don't "fix" it.

I use Virex, not NAV, but it could be a compatibility problem between the NAV version and your OS version. There should be something on Symantec's site if no one here can help.

Well, I think the problem is mostly blithely installing old software without thinking about conflicts with a newer OS. Since NAV is now up to 7.x I think I ought to buy the upgrade and try again.

That's what I was thinking.

absolutely.

just get System Works.

we're running it on every machine here.

all we use, though, are the NAV and Disk Doctor modules. That's it.

no autoprotect, no filesaver, etc. We may be a little leaner than some, but it works for us.

Thanks,
    I'll do that.