Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Start-up conundrum

Chris, the choice highligted in Startup Disk 9.2.1 HAS to match the choice you make in System Picker or an earlier Startup Disk CP. 9.2.1 is KING for every bootable volume on your machine. I've even considered making an alias of it for the desktop.

Yup - did that - I had SystemPicker aimed at the right one, StartUp Disk CP pointed at the right one and it still balked... Right now it's fine although I didn't upgrade from 9.0.4 yet..I think this all started when the machine locked up during a network copy and I had to reboot - somehow it got all confounded.. anyways - it was good to do a clean install to set things up...

Chris

You know what I think the problem is - for some reason, my Mac is trying to boot from one of my Ecrix tape drives.. when you execute a restart, it stalls now at the grey screen AND if I look at the tape drives (w/ tapes in them) - two of the three tape drives are sitting at the "stand-by" while one is in the forward wind phase.. and I think the problem is that it's stalling there.. If I eject the tapes and then restart - all is well... very odd - this particular configuration was working so well for about a month...

Any suggestions short of writing a script to somehow eject the tapes from the drives before shutting down and restarting?.

I went through a whole lot of hair pulling with a similar issue, and I found that the fix (for me) involved tracking down SoftRAID volumes which had artifacts of Apple's Drive Setup Drivers on them, and re-initializing.

Try paring down the number boot volumes, and then addressing HD drivers again (lucky you've got all those VXAs).

I've found that I get the happy Mac hang if I boot with mixed drivers on my #3 bus or #4 busses, hanging exactly where you are hanging. All SotftRAID, or all Apple booted just fine. Once you fix the driver issue (if it even applies to your system), then you may bump into a problem with all the new developments in Startup Folder assignation (I sure did).

I can now reboot, switch OS's, etc. I'm just worried what will happen when I try X again...

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 13 April 2001).]

Chris; this OS X stuff does weird things to NVRAM. Just booting from the OS X CD eliminated ATA Bus 1 on the wife's beige G3. I bought a new CD player and almost a logic board before I did a NVRAM flush and the bus came back. I think that Startup Disk 9.2.1 and its predecessor mess with your NVRAM. Do a COLD start with CMD-OPT-P-R down and let her bong three times.

Hi Louie

Zapped the PRAM / NVRAM a couple of times and it never did seem to really help. Now I've totally removed the 2 drive Ecrix array and just have the external Ecrix back on the Miles2 (along with the boot drives). Now, while I can boot w/o a problem,suggesting that there's something funky with the array, Retrospect spazzes out with it goes to backup a network client - i.e. the Mac freezes solid when it starts to execute the backup - it's not the connection per se since it does scan the remote machine, I think it has to do with when it starts to wind the tape... I wonder if I need to replace the tape.. I have three tapes coming in from the 'Gurus and two RMAs from Ecrix to resolve my blown media problems so I'm hoping that will solve it..

I even turned down the Miles2 card to 40 rather than 80 in the vain hope that that would resolve the tape drive problems.

Chris

Ongoing saga - now TWO more of my VXA tapes have died w/ "content unrecognized" errors in Retrospect. This is a tad disconcerting and I'm not sure that it's NOT unrelated to my current SCSI problems. Wonder if my drives are somehow messed up and this is translating to the tapes somehow.

Chris (who really isn't enjoying his long weekend very much)

chris....

i've reviewed this thread in disbelief....and i have no really brilliant ideas....but I guess one thing I would definitely recommend is to ensure that you have updated drivers on all devices.

there is no harm in updating drivers on striped or mirrored arrays....just don't reinitialize them, and you won't lose your data.

since you have done clean installs....and you will update drivers....I'm wondering if Ecrix can talk you thru firmware updates on their tape drives, so you can at least ensure that you are running the same firmware rev on each VXA-1? I'm trying to think of weird, arcane things that might cause problems in the event several drives are used.

it is a little unusal to run three or four VXA's on the same machine....right?

the other thing that is freaking me out, is you were apparently running for a couple of weeks with reliability for awhile?

what changed?

something had to change....if nothing changed, something had to fail.

right?

have you swapped terminators?

I was going to say, swap tapes....but you did that....and now two tapes got eaten?

WTF?