Thread: inserting cd causes a freeze

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First, here's the machine: ppc 7300 running 8.6, upgraded with 4.5g barracuda, 9.1g Atlas 10k,
    xlr8 USB card, ixmicro ultimate rez video, 304 megs ram.
    Here's the trouble:
    When I insert a cd the disk does not mount but causes a freeze. The mouse can move but cannot
    select anything. When I force quit it restarts to the point where disk first aid checks the system
    then it stops and I get an error dialog that says something about "International Utilities not present
    please restart with extensions off" So I click the restart button on the dialog box and the same thing happens. If I go through this (I have removed the cd also) a few times in a row it finally relents, finishes the startup and is fine, until I insert a CD. Note: it will start up from the install cd.
    what gives?

Oh yes, a few other details: I also have a Sonnet G3/400 card installed. This and the Atlas are quite new. The Sonnet about three weeks, and the Atlas about 5 days.

just wanted to supply all the details, thanks

magician addressed this before:

"you need to use the Keyboard control panel to select the US keyboard. If you have another nationality selected, but lack appropriate resources, the MacOS will bitch." And there may be some other portion of the OS that uses International Utilities (Speech?) that you have inadvertantly selected. k

Kaye,
    Thank you for your prompt response. Is it possible that I could have caused this by zapping my PRAM? I had a fair amount of system angst after installing the Atlas as my startup with the wrong jumper setting. To restore all to balance I, among other things after resetting the jumper, zapped the pram. Possibly I have set it to a default setting that for some reason is not US?

Greg

Well, I checked the keyboard thing and it was already on US.
    The cd thing is still happening. I insert the cd into the drive, I hear the disc start to spin, then it stops and no icon appears. The pointer will move but be unable to select anything. The desktop is frozen. This time, when I force quit it reboots fine, going through the disk first aid check with no trouble, but still, no cd.
    Help!

I would suspect SCSI Voodoo such as improper ID's and/or termination and, in particular, jumper settings on the Atlas. All devices should be set to "Get Termination Power from the SCSI Bus"; Parity off, etc.

Of course, there is a possibilty that the CD player is having a electro/mechanical failure. Try cleaning it with compressed air.

If the Sonnet software allows it, try enabling "Write-Through" or whatever Sonnet may call it.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 26 January 2001).]