Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 8100 won't power up...anymore.

I bought a 1G seagate drive for my 8100/80/av and wanted to install it in the computer as an extra SCSI drive in addtion to the 500mB boot drive. I bought the drive off ebay and the seller said it had an active sys folder and some other things on it. I tried coonecting it first, in the place of the boot drive and it didn't recognize it was connected. It was hard to get to the SCSI connection and I may not have made a solid connection. First of all, could this have damaged the drive and/or the data on it? I reconnected it on a different SCSI bus ( there are 2) with the original boot drive. It showed up with the SCSI id and all but wouldn't mount. I tried using soft raid to initialize it and it said there was an error and it could not be initialized. So my questions are 2 fold. Is the drive now a big paperweight? And when I reconnected the boot drive and put everything back together, now the computer doesn't even power up. It's like it isn't even plugged into the wall. I removed the boot drive and tested it in another computer and it's fine. Put it back in the 8100 and nothing?? What can I check? Nothing is obvious upon first glance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. -Paul

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

p,

First the SoftRAID issue, from their website:

NOTE: About NuBus based Macintosh computers:
    SoftRAID requires a PCI based Mac OS system to perform its drive acceleration. This is because 68k and PowerPC based Macs with NuBus slots both require a 68K driver on the disk drive. SoftRAID's high performance acceleration only works with PCI based systems. If you have a PowerPC NuBus machine (6100, 7100, 8100, Power Base, etc.), then SoftRAID's native driver will not work.

Need to know the full model number of the Seagate drive? I suspect a termination or termination power problem or duplicate ID numbers. Also you may have had two failures simultaneously. Possible is the PRAM battery on the motherboard. Go here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mbppc8100.html and look on the right side, a rectangle not labeled and just to the right of the DRAM SIMMs slots, that is the battery. Another picture here (mobo upside down) http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?item,m820-0588-a100 look on the left side just outboard of the RAM slots, battery with a slotted cover on it. Radio Shack #23-026, Lithium 3.6V, 850mAh, $10.

Also need model number of the boot drive and where on the physical chain it is located and whether there is anything else on that chain such as CD drive and its ID.

Some of the is info is available via Apple System Profiler (ASP). k

Wow, thanx!! OK, so the new 1G drive (by the way, ST11200N) may actually be OK?
    Hmmmm. Had the jumper on the left most pins and the SCSI ID showed up in ASProfiler as ID 4. So the unit may not be powering up because of the battery??
    Or did I read that wrong? The boot drive is a Conner CFA540S (CA9EZGR G66316 8FP111 SG3 P SLV05 CS4390Q32QMC) Says Apple Computer Inc. on it of course.
    There are 2 SCSI chains in this machine. I'm going by memory now cause I can't check the ID's anymore, but I believe the CD-rom is id3 and the boot drive was id0 and we set the new seagate to id 4. I tried the drive on both chains and nothing. Termination or termination power huh? I've has termination problems in the past with my G3. It was a nightmare for awhile. I guess the main problem now is to get the unit to power on so what's the first step? Thanx for all your help and look forward to hearing more. -Paul

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

What G3? Yeah, get a battery so we can eliminate that as a possibility. It typically lasts for 2-3 years. If you have another keyboard and cable, also try that. If the keyboard power button hardware starts to fail, that can cause similar problems.

Like you say, first order is to get the machine to crank up. Then we'll check those drives for termination settings. k

Well, I replaced the battery and that didn't do it. Don't really know what to do from here. I double checked all the connections. ????

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

OK, I'm relentless. I took everything apart including the power supply to check the fuse. Lo and behold when I got it back together it worked! Go figure.

So anyway, now where back to the 1G Seagate drive. I have that on id4 (scsi bus 1) and the boot drive is id0 (scsi bus 0). The Seagate drive shows up in system profiler, but no capacity, vendor, etc.... all n/a. ?????

Damn. It's dead again. All I did was unplug, re-install ethernet card, try to power up. Nothing. Uninstalled e-net card, put it back the way it was, and it was dead. No power, no noise, no chime. I think I have a wacky power supply unless someone has any aother suggestions. This is very frustrating!!!

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

OK, give me some time to check the drives for some specifications. Whoops, I see it's dead again. Maybe the power cord? Is the power cord plugged into the wall? No wall switch controlling that wall plug? Sorry, I had to ask. I "fixed" a friend's TV that way once. Or plugged into something else, like a UPS or a surge suppressor? Are you reinstalling the cover which may be pinching/shorting something? Just some ideas, though it may be the power supply. Totally dead? No fans or HD's startup? k

Nah, not the power cable or outlet. I've been unplugging from the back of the machine only. It's nothing stupid like that, unfortunately.

No drives, no chime, dead!!! Not even putting the cover back on. I have no clue unless it's an intermittent problem. Don't know what to do??

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

It may be that enet card that is doing the damage. Leave it out of the mix. If you decide you want another power supply, go here http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?item,m614-0012 . He is good to deal with and prices are rock bottom. Only downside is you need to use PayPal or wait while he can varify a check.

If you have one, try another keyboard and ADB cable. With machine shut down, do the plugging/unplugging. ADB is not hot swap on your machine. k

Which brings me to another question, how are you trying to startup? k

E-net card is out. Keyboard not even connected. Using power button on back to try to start up. Worked before, ya know?? I don't get it?

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

There were a few old Macs and Performa's that had power reset buttons. I don't know about the 8100. Do you have a manual to check?

It is possible that the power switch is bad. I just read the manual and it talks about turning the power switch off with the power cord plugged in; let it sit in the off position for 10 seconds and then turn it on to reset the switch. It also speaks of trying the small reset button on the front panel (round with small triangle). Judicious use of a volt meter would tell you if power is getting past the switch.

Removing the battery and the video card for a bit and reconnecting allows the unit to power up. Power switch seems ok. I've power down and up the unit a dozen times now with no problem. How can I check the drive now. In drive setup the drive appears to be not initialized, yet it was and has software on it. Could not plugging the scsi cable all the way in and powering up have caused the drive to appear this way? What should I do? Is the data gone? Thanx.

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

Well, a pattern is developing, sort of. Everytime I try to do anything, like unplugging a Cd-ROM or putting in another drive, after I get reconnected the unit doesn't power up. I simply remove the battery for 30 seconds put it back in, and everything's fine....til the next time it happens.

Someone must know what this is all about and where the problem lies. I'm scared to box it all back up because pulling the battery will be a royal pain.

------------------
    Total Traxx Rec. Studios
    2458 Boston Post Rd
    Guilford, CT 06437

Every time you pull the battery you are resetting the PRAM, so I'd guess that something is corrupting the PRAM data.

Kaye is the expert on NuBus Macs and he is about to leave home on a trip around tha Bay Area till late afternoon. Trag is also into NuBus machines, but usually only posts at night. Magician has been out of touch electronically since yesterday afternoon but may wander in here.

Hang on; well get you some help ASAP.

Your machine seems to be unusually finicky about allowing changes to your system. Why, I don't know. But at least you know how to overcome it, removing the battery. For the moment, leave the enet card out of the box and let's get to the drive situation.

I'm going to do some research on those HDs. In the meantime, I need to know if you have any other drive utilities besides Apple Drive Setup? What OS are you running? You can get the latest version of Drive Setup, which may recognize the drive and what's on it, on our FTP site.

Put the drives and CD on the internal SCSI connector. Tell me what the physical chain looks like. For instance:

mobo int SCSI--->Seagate--->Conner--->CD drive

k

I'm still here Louie. Don't leave for another hour or so but got to get ready for it too. k

Kaye:

Did you see my email?