Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: xxClicks dead, Links gone

Hey DogBreath, bad move on the Hawk settings. Leave the single jumper set properly.

Hey fellow Falconers, pick up the gauntlet and let loose the birds of prey:
    ATTO Benchmark/8 MB max/disk cache on/all extensions, etc. on:
    PR 3.83 SR 3.61 PW 3.92 SW 3.78 Smokin', eh? Whadya got with your puny drivers?

Hey MM; I thought you reported twice that fast with ATTO drivers earlier. Are these repeat test results? I can beat that with my CD player!

Hey L,

No big boy, you misread my numbers for the IBM as going for the Hawk. What are you getting with your setup on the Hawk?

About 3+, like you.

How often do you feed the little hamster in there?

Mine is nuclear powered!

Can you imagine; almost every mid-range Mac/clone had a drive almost that slow 5-6 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 February 2001).]

What do you guys do while the ATTO EPT 8MB test is running on that hampster? I mean there are only so many hours in the day. k

Hawk jumpers have been returned to recommended by MM. No change. Disconnected JackHammer and machine now wakes from sleep. No crashes since, but it's early.
    Ordered a G4 dual and will re-visit the aged RAID problem after new machine is in place. Still need a working RAID on either my 8500 or newer 9500.
    Thanx all,

Much time has passed and many of my problems have diminished in severity. Hammer RAID seems to be no problem. I do think OS9.1 was a massive mistake on my part but I'm living with it for now. Bought a G4 Dual for workstation use which has similar problems to my G3. Both seem to be extensions related but nobody on Earth has a clue where to look and I won't burden you with that witch hunt. I suspect Kodak calibration software or Nikon programs but it could be other. Photo companies cannot write software, IMHO.

Anyway, I plan to update my G4 with an ATTO card and maybe the Seagate Cheetah 36's when the time comes. My original intention was to replace the Hammer Storage on my PPC8500/XLR8-G3 with new LVD drives but with a G4 sitting here, it doesn't make sense right now. I would like to move my Hammer RAID to my "new" 9500 for home use, removing it from my PPC8500/XLR8-G3. I added a Barracuda ST318416N to the 8500 a while back without adding a new card. I guess that's why I ordered a Narrow drive? I didn't have any additional slots. I'll have a slot available if I move the RAID so my question is: Would I see a significant speed improvement with my Barracuda to justify the cost of say a Miles 2 card? I think this machine will now be used less for serious imaging. The big files will go on the G4. Or would a Miles 2 and a Cheetah be a good replacement if not even faster than my Hammer Storage RAID?

The Miles 2 and X15 Cheetah would be so much faster than the JackHammer that you wouldn't believe it. And, it would be supported and compatible.

The card you need to maximize the UltraNarrow Barracuda is the Miles BlueNote; both card and drive will synch at 20 MB/s.

I'm thrilled at the possibilities of the Miles2 and X15 combination.

Would the Blue Note/Narrow drive improvement be significant enough in comparison to warrant doing? The narrow drive seems happy enough on the system bus now, if that's the right terminology. I would only want to change it for a noticeable difference.

Thanks again.

DB,

Actually that Barracuda (ST318416N) is not happy on the internal fast SCSI-2 bus (10MB/s max). It wants to be a fire breathing monster on a BlueNote. The Barracuda and BlueNote are Ultra narrow or Fast-20 (20MB/s max). Barracuda would be about twice as fast that way as what you are doing now. Louie gets about 18MB/s. k

Installed the Bluenote in my 8500 last night and connected it to my narrow Barracuda, seems to be working fine. Then I installed the Miles2/Cheetah X15 in my "new" 9500. The card is recognized by the system but the spinning X15 is invisible. SoftRaid doesn't know where to look. Kept jumpers as they arrived after reading the blurbs. Any idea where I might have gone wrong?

Never assume the jumpers are set from the facory for your use. Check Seagate's site. If the X15 is the only device on that bus, You need NO jumpers at all.

The Miles 2 should be in slot $A1 or $D2 because it is a bus master card. The BlueNote can go in any slot. You should use the Smart SCSI v1.03 app to verify that the firmware is v1.06b. If not, flash it with the cable disconnected from the card.

I assume you are using the furnished LVD terminated cable. Double check connections and see if the center (LVD) light is burning on the card.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 31 March 2001).]

Before getting your response, I put a jumper on pins 1 & 2 of J2 and have had no trouble since. SmartSCSI 1.03 reports firmware 1.05. I know I hit the button for "Update Firmware" early on without knowing to disconnect the cable but it appeared to do nothing. Are you saying that I'd get a different result by doing that again after disconnecting the cable?

Oh, and I put the card in the uppermost slot. Isn't that 1 of the 2 good ones?

The top slot is $A1.

Jumpers on pins 1 and 2 of J2 set termination from the drive to the SCSI bus. This NOT what you want. You want termination power FROM the SCSI bus. Those two jumpers should come off.

To flash the ROM, the 1.06b flasher (inia100,sim) and no other, must be in the same folder as the Miles 2 Smart SCSI. Disconnect the cable, open Smart SCSI. The current ROM will be the name of the window. Set all defaults. Flash the ROM. The window title will change to 1.06. Make sure all settings are default. Reconnect. Restart.