Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: xxClicks dead, Links gone

That could be part of it.

we've seen that before, alright.

I've been getting a lot of info, some of it conflicting so I've been proceeding by using my own intuition as well.

About the Hammer card, MJ at SoftRAID wrote: "It is a UW Differential card. I do not think they ever released a successor to their UW line. I have one myself, and I have never used it on later than 8.6. There are defintiely issues with the older firmware and 9.x. In fact, there were issues with 1.3.2 and 8.6. I do not know if the 1.4.5 firmware fixes everything, nor do I know for certain whether the updater deals with all the Differential issues. I know this, as there were sperate issues for the differntial card.
    I would do this....Backup everything. Initialise the drives, or at least erase the volume in the finder. Then install OS 9.1, and run Drive Setup 8.6. I would also, for a while, install the driver with all acceleration disabled. (uncheck all the boxes when installing driver)."

I had already updated the firmware to 1.4.5 on my SCSI card. Then I initialized the start-up Baracuda with the set-up from OS 9 which the system profiler reported as version 8.1.4. Profiler also reported a version 8.1.4 for my RAID which I thought was odd. I'm assuming MJ meant for me to use whatever Drive Setup that came with OS 8.6. Not sure but I made a choice and went on.

I spoke with very helpful tech support at XLR8 and was assured that my G3 upgrade was OK for OS 9.1. He suspected memory issues and had me check some things. Turns out I had a couple of the original 70ns RAM chips mixded in with my later 60ns chips which could affect stability. I had assured him that I had indeed removed the original L2 cache from the mother board. The surprise is, a different L2 cache was in place. Why?- I had some service done for a non-waking video problem a while back. The technician took it upon himself to replace my missing L2 cache and to interleave my chips (which I had previously de-interleaved at XLR8's suggestion), all without telling me.

The missing function keys in Dreamweaver. Their tech support got back to me and reported that the OS 9.1 updater turns them off. All I needed to do was open the Keyboard control panel and I was back in business.

My files seem to be in tact so I don't know what corruption involves at this point. Is the inability to double click a corruption of the resource forks? I can now open a file in an application and then double click other files that open in that same application but the fix lasts only until the next restart. Throw away preferences? Any Prefs that would be more appropriate than others?

Next, I'll open the case and check the Hawk drive for jumpers. I remember addressing those in great detail at installation of the Barracuda. I don't use that drive for much. Is it more of a matter of it polluting the system? I'll report back.

The big problem is still with any program that uses the internet. Those programs are very prone to crashes. If I stay away from those I can work for hours.
    I long for the moment when the right combination of hardware and software really works. I can see that I need a new RAID but I'm having trouble seeing the RAID as my immediate problem. Of course I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong. I have a 9500 sitting in the wings that I just bought. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd rather upgrade that and take a step back with the 8500 for simpler uses.

Thanks a million for your helps.

If you actually have a differential JackHammer, then your situation is much more confused than I think anyone believed. The model numbers of the drives you listed are not differential drives. Are far as I know, differential hosts and non-differential drives don't work together.

Apple SCSI driver v 8.1.4 is installed by Apple Drive Setup 1.9.2 which comes with OS9.04.

Having mixed 60 and 70 ns RAM and the logic board L2 cache certainly would complicate things. De-interleaving is seldom necessary when using good 60 ns RAM.

I still firmly believe that you most serious problem is caused by trying to use an outmoded, unsupported (and now, possibly, the wrong type) SCSI card. This seems to have been confirmed by your communication with SoftRAID.

The complication and confusion of your actual situation has surpassed my abilty to try to help you. Maybe Magician, Kaye or others that know more than I can help. Lots of luck.

Right Louie, that differential JackHammer is not compliant with those non-differential drives. Now I know what the D in SL8200USDPCI means. Simple as that. k

Confused situation! This stuff was bought from Hammer and shipped this way. I'm reporting the hard drive models directly from the shipping list. Since it's worked fine until now, I'll be compelled to open the case for closer inspection in hopes that the packing list was wrong.

BTW, I did find the Hawk had 2 vertical TP jumbpers on J2 so I connected them horizontally across the top. Nothing bad happened and I haven't crashed since but it's too soon to tell.

Guess my machine is turning into FrankenMac.

There is a ST34371WD model drive. If the drives say ST34371WD, then they match the card. k

If they are WD drives then they match the card. However, there will still be driver and firmware incompatibilities with OS 9.1 to face if he continues to use them.

You should be able to read the drives' model number in the second window of the Apple System Profiler.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 04 February 2001).]

System Profiler shows other hard drive model numbers in ID window. My RAID is listed without a SCSI ID window appearing at all so model numbers are not presented.

SCSI Probe 5.2 should show the model numbers even if they are striped.

Opened the case and the drives are indeed ST34371WD like I thought. Downloaded SCSI probe, it agrees. Checked my post way back and was horrified to see a typo about the Hammer RAID model number. It's SL8200UWDPCI. I had used an S in place of the W. Sorry.
    For what it's worth, progress seems to be being made. Double clicking is back. Machine is zippier. I've rebuilt the desktop a number of times lately but only this evening did I do it with extensions off, from a suggestion. That made a difference.

Both drives had a sticker on them saying "factory repaired." Don't know about that. These have never been in for service since owning them.

Could I use this case for bigger, faster drives?

depends on the cabling. That can be readily replaced, though, most likely.

if it is a standard enclosure, you can use Granite TPO enclosure ribbon cabling. It is listed at the bottom of our enclosures page.

If you intend to use one of the later OS's, you need to get away from the unsupported, incompatible Differential host and drives. Even Single-Ended UW is on it's last breath. LVD is the way to go for RAID.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BTW, I did find the Hawk had 2 vertical TP jumbpers on J2 so I connected them horizontally across the top. Nothing bad happened and I haven't crashed since but it's too soon to tell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This Hawk thing is weird. The default jumper settings seem to work ok as long its the only hard drive on the bus, but the double jumpers don't match any published configuration. Things settle down when you set the single jumper correctly (according to the published website diagram). I will post a question to Seagate Tech Support and post back.

You and I may have the only two Hawks left.

At least I'm in good company

I'm now getting system crashes during unattended Retrospect backups and non-wakable screens after sleeping so I've returned the Hawk to my original set-up. That doesn't seem to make any difference though.

If my old RAID is at fault, wouldn't it be logical that my symptoms would go away after disconnecting it? Something I might try.

Unless it's corrupting the other drive. If you disco it for test, I would reformat and reinstall on the other drive at the same time. You would need to pull the JackHammer in addition to discoing the drives.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 08 February 2001).]

For what it's worth, I have a 2GB Hawk too, purring away in my 9500 since the day I got it. Only the elite...

OK dookie; that makes four. I'm keeping a record. MM says his goes twice as fast with ATTO drivers!