Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: xxClicks dead, Links gone

Gotta real mess here I think. Had been running OK using an XLR8 Mach Carrier G3/300 and a Hammer Storage RAID with JackHammer card on my 8500. Installed a Barracuda 18GB drive and made that my new start-up disk instead of the original 2GB HD, still in use. Used RAIDware 2.2.2 on both RAID and Barracuda drives. Recently have been having frequent crashes, bombs and freezes. Lots of type 1, 2 and 11 errors. Spelunking in my extensions for conflicts has been unproductive and I keep up with maintenance using DFA, Diskwarrior and Norton. Thought the problem might be from lost data in transferring from old to new drives so I re-installed OS9 over 9.0.4 and immediately updated to 9.1. Since then I have the same problems plus some really vexing additions. Now when I double click a file name, no programs launch. Some file names no longer reveal their creator apps. Function keys in Dreamweaver now bring up a window for assigning keys with, not normal. Clicking an e-mail in IE5 no longer launches OE and clicking a web address in OE no longer launches IE5.

I can get around these problems temporarily but they are signs of something really wrong. Internet Explorer is especially prone to crashes previously and still is. Reinstalled it fresh before the upgrade to 9.1.

It seems no one has ever heard of this problem. Apple was nice to talk to but throws their hands up due to the non-supported 3rd party upgrade card. They suggest re-installing apps to assure extensions are in place. I don't quite buy that. Wanted to talk about any compatabiltiy issues or upgrades from Hammer and XLR8 but neither can be reached by phone. The HammerStorage website seems to be misdirected or null and void. Left them 2 messages but no reply.

Would rather not initialize everything and start over just right now. Too much work to do.

Please help!!!

I think you have incompatible drivers, HD and SCSI card, for OS 9.x.

HammerStorage was bought out by Rorke http://www.rorke.com/hammer/ .

I'm not aware of anyone running a JackHammer under OS9.1. I have heard of some folks running ok under OS9.04, but others also reported problems. Formally, it was supported only up to OS9.02, with the latest firmware.

RAIDWare 2.2.2...not sure about the version. I'm pretty sure that RAIDWare is simply a rebranded version of SoftRAID. You may want to transition, so you will be supported, and can continue to update.

I would be very leery of the JackHammer. For best results contacting XLR8 tech support, post here for Darin Ames. He surfs thru at least daily, and if he doesn't we just light the bat signal and he comes swooping in. I get the impression he and Don are pretty buried right now.

I have a JackHammer in my 9500/NewerTech G3 400 and have been running 9.1 since it was released.
    (and 9.04 before that)

So far it seems ok. (JackHammer CP 1.4.5)

I have a 9LZX startup drive with 9.1(formatted using Apple Drive Setup) attached and two - two drive arrays.
    (striped by FWB)

How's that for risky business!

I only have audio projects and volume copies on the arrays now and all data is backed up.

I also have all six slots filled, but I had to play musical slots at first. (back around 8.6)

I guess I'll find out eventually if it's a ticking time bomb.
    (or beating a dead horse)

I need some Guru-Ware and soft raid to go with my G4. (soon)

Ahhh, 1.4.5 control panel. I just found it and downloaded but there were no instructions to soothe my paranoia. I had 1.3.2 although I can't find it now on my current system or on the back-up I have of my 9.0.4.

I think I'll just forge ahead and drop 1.4.5 in my control panels and start-up with the Jackhammer boards disabled. Then I suppose RAIDware will let me update as needed. If that's wrong, someone please stop me.

Thanks to you both.

If I'm to fear the JackHammer, what are the alternatives? It's the same age as my SledgeMammer. Too old for later OS? Not supported?
    Installing the Control Panel PCI JackHammer 1.4.5 so far seems to have done nothing.

The aged manual mentions a HammerTime extension but that was probably for OS 7.X. I don't remember ever seeing it and the Rorke website makes no mention.

My "apple" drive also includes files (mp3's) that are no longer identified as clickable by an app.

I've run JackHammer 1.4.5 with 9.04 but that was before Hammer posted tha 9.02 limit on their site. I was also using the UltraNarrow connection and the latest Apple driver on the HD's.

Do you have drives striped?

HammerTime installed with JackHammer 1.3.2 which is on our FTP site.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the compatibility of RAIDware. I have the feeling that you are hosed until you reinitialize with compatible hardware and drivers.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 29 January 2001).]

Barracuda is using RAIDware 2.2.2 as standard Macintosh, RAID is striped with 2.2.2. Macintosh HD is probably the latest Apple as updated by the 9.1 install. How can you tell which version for sure?
    If I run the 1.3.2 RAIDware install again, will it try to replace the 1.4.5 control panel?

As an experiment, I just put 9.1 on the 2GB Apple drive and made it the start-up but nothing is clickable. I didn't move any apps to that drive, so maybe that's to be expected.

There's no way to re-initialize the Barracuda start-up with a new driver without removing all data, is there?

OR Should I just go back to 8.6? I'd rather not.

The Jack 1.3.2 installer allowed me to only install the HammerTime. Haven't noticed anything different.

If the drives are corrupted because of incompatibility, you must start over with compatible hardware and software. Screwing around trying to fix it will lead to nothing except more frustration. It really pays to keep informed of compatibility issues.

If I can find anyone that is familiar with RAIDware, and you will give me the model numbers of your HD's, which ones are RAIDed, what transfer rates you need, etc., we'll be happy to try to help you. But, you have to realize that you can't keep updating you OS without also updating to compatible hosts, firmware, and drivers. It leads to nothing but corruption.

Power Mac 8500 with XLR8 Mach Carrier G3/300 upgrade card

SCSI Bus 0:
    Seagate (Barracuda) Prod ID: ST318416N Serial number not avail. Revision 0004
    Seagate ST32430N Serial no. 00828333 Revision 0492

SCSI Bus 2: IDs 5 & 6
    Hammer Prod model: SL8200USDPCI Serial no. 4S084976H8 RAIDware 2.2.2 striped:
    2 Drives, both Seagate ST34371W Revision 0484

Don't now about what transfer rates to expect or shoot for. But of course, I wanna go fast.

Last night I did install OS9.1 on my only Apple set-up drive. When I clicked on your e-mail link to your site, IE4.5 opened and took me there. Since I use IE5 it seems that the reinstall re-established the link. Apple had suggested reinstalling programs.
    Or is it working because of the Apple HD driver??? HMmmm.

[This message has been edited by DogBreath (edited 30 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by DogBreath (edited 30 January 2001).]

What Apple driver is on that drive? If it was 2.0.3 it tends to prove my point. It doesn't have to be an Apple driver to be compatible. There are third party drivers that are also compatible. Old Apple drivers become incompatible.

OK Kaye, others; what do you know about RAIDware and its compatibility?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 30 January 2001).]

all I really know about RAIDWare is that it was a rebranded version of SoftRAID. There may be information about it, and its versions, on the SoftRAID site.

Go here for the updater to RAIDWare http://www.softraid.com/downloads.lasso and a Read Me about it. k

I'm already using RAIDware 2.2.2. That's all they refer to, aside from SoftRAID 2.2.2. Left them a question/comment to see if they'll respond. They only mention up to OS 9.0.4. Not a surprise since 9.1 is so new.

if you email support@softraid.com, you'll typically get a pretty rapid response.

If they say RAIDware 2.2.2 is compatible, I would suggest that you retire the JackHammer, go with a supported UW host, reformat your drives and do a fresh install on all of them.

I've got three JackHammers that can keep yours company at the retirement home.

Gurus sell the Miles 9100UW card and I have heard of no problems with it. And, it comes with SoftRAID and cables. Look here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...tioboards.html .

This is assuming you want to stay with your UW drives. (Are far as I know, no one makes UW drives anymore). The Miles 2 and LVD drives are much faster.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 31 January 2001).]

Hey Louie,

This may be another case of the Seagate Hawk Termination Power issue we have discussed recently in other threads. I saw similar data corruption on transfers after I changed the environment of the drive. This was fixed when I set the TP jumper properly (the default setting was not right).

Hey DB,

Look at the J2 jumper block on your Hawk. It may have two vertical jumpers, one on each pin pair marked 'TP'. If it does--remove one jumper and place one jumper horizontally ACCROSS the pins that are farthest from the 'TP' labels. Got to www.seagate.com and find the config page for you drive if you need to.

Regards