Thread: quicktime loads REAL slow...

whenever I launch anything QT (4.1.2 on OS9.1) it takes forever to load. Didn't do this under OS8.6. Is it my ixMicro 3D card? I have already updated QT and that didn't solve it.
    HELP!

Mike

The ixMicro 3D card and its drivers were never great.

Hey Louie! Fair enough, but it worked fine in OS 8.6.
    Do you really think my Quicktime problem is an ixMicro/9.1 thing?

Several have said the QT 5 beta runs much faster with OS9.1. You might try it and see. k

Quicktime 4.1.2 on OS 9.1 is slow no matter what machine you are running.

j

The more I hear about 9.1, the longer I stall while looking at the installation CD.

Seems to be a cool OS with some quirks... that are pissing me off. My quicktime is slow and my Finder Prefs keep getting corrupted. *sigh* I miss OS 8.6. (need 9.1 for DSL) Can I go back to OS 8.6 and just use the 9.1 Open Transport?

I need 8.6 for flight sims because my ThrustMaster controllers don't like 9.x.

I've noticed the Startup Disk CP doesn't even see 8.6 volumes. We may need separate machines for each system.

I finally found the answer.
    My virtual memory was off and QT in 9.1 doesn't like that. Sheesh.
    Working much better now.

I'm with you, Louie, on OS9. Too much of it seems to have been transmogrified in order to make it work with the Classic Environment of OhEssExx. I really wish there was going to be further development of the current Mac OS beyond 9 (actually, I'd rather have had 8.7 and left this annoying stuff out), but I read recently that Apple plans to phase out our current OS by 2002 or 3. We'll see 9.2 and that's it.

Having said that, is there any inherent reason why some more-recent technologies (like the OS9 version of Open Transport) won't work with OS 8.6? I would believe it if there were some other extensions or what-not needed to make it work, but nothing in the System itself. I mean, Quicktime 5 works with OS8.6...

(BTW, anyone who takes my spelling of OhEssExx to be my poking fun at the new OS, it ain't- I'm looking forward to getting into that OS as soon as I buy a New World Mac... several years from now. My spelling is my poking fun at the people at Apple who insist that the name is meant to be pronounced "Oh Ess Ten.")

Lots of OS 9.x stuff works with 8.6. For instance, I use OpenGL 1.2.1 and all the ATI stuff that came with it with 8.6. I haven't tried the later OT yet. OS 9.04 stuff will come closer to working with 8.6 than 9.1 stuff. Usually if a newer OT works with an older OS, Apple will release a separate upgrade later. Some can ; some can't. 9.1 seems to be a special system mainly to perform its "Classic" duties with OS X.

now that's odd.

i hadn't noticed any QT4.1.2 slow-downs with OS9.1.

i thought QT5 was going final with 9.1 or OSX?

whatever happened to that?