Thread: 9500 w/g4 450 dead!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

my 9500 w/ 160 o'ram boots up only by disabling extensions. If i don't it tells me that code fragmentation could not be created....should i pull out the g4 card and see what happens...is my internal bus fried cause sometimes i get this message when disabling extensions that says i have a buss error and i should boot up with extensions off...but i already was...so....alas i think my computer is fried. anyone please...do i just go out and get a new 9500/9600. or something bigger...i liked the 450 it worked really nice.

Hang on PM,

It sounds like a software problem, not hardware, But let's hear all about your hardware first.
    What G4 card? What drive? What else is on your internal and external busses?

Then your software: what disk driver? what OS? what utility programs (Disk First Aid, Norton Utilities, TechTool, DiskWarrior) do you have? What third party extensions are in your system folder?

Fried computers don't usually boot at all

well for starters....newer tech g4 450/ 160 ram....digi001 audio card...lacie internal....lacie external...that's it...oh a sony cd-rom drive that has never really worked. as for software...i'm using os 8.6...disk utilities include norton 4,fwb 4 and then protools 5.0.1. is mainly the only other program i am using...i was trying bitheadz unity ds.1 at the time of system breakup so that could be it...the thing is i've been having all kinds of problems for some time now. never been a truly solid machine....anything info would help. should i go back to os. 8.5.1 because then i'll disable the altivec engine in the g4 card, protools doesn't support the engine and that's all this computer is for....

thanks in advance for all replies..

[This message has been edited by Professor M (edited 13 March 2001).]

I would check and see if Norton Utilities installed Crash Guard for a start. If it did, then remove Crash Guard. It really should have been named Crash Start.

If you've had problems for a while, it is likely you have other issues, but let's see if that helps things to begin with.

PM,

I have to leave for awhile but, having answered MM's questions, we need to know exactly what card you have in each PCI slot?

Second, Newer still has this page http://www.newertech.com/support/faq/memoryspec.html which discusses the very special requirements for memory compatibility with their G3/G4 processors. While it is still online, I would print it out or save it. It gives you some homework to check all of your ram, specifically the timing chips for 2244 or 6244 and the memory chips for 60ns since you have a very fast G4. Note, be careful about removing the ram, grounding yourself first, etc. AND make sure you pair the ram with little stick-on markers so that identical ram is remembered for interleaving purposes.

If any questions, ask before plunging in. Others here can help. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 13 March 2001).]

slot one is my digidesign card and slot 4 is my video card....the standard mac card. other than that...not much else to say. will check out the newer tech site thanks. as for the norton crash guard i look and see once i boot up...i don't think its there...i've disabled norton file saver...i think that's a bit of trouble as well. can you guys give me a bit more detail about l2 cache and what not.