Thread: 8100 starts, then doesn't start next time

My 8100/100 AV wouldn't power up. So I removed the lithium battery, left it out for 10-15 minutes, put it back in and then the computer powered up. I left it running all day and over nite without any incident. Then when I shut it down and tried to power it back up, it would start. So I removed the battery again and put it back in after a short period. The computer then started again. But like the last time, as soon as I powered it down, it wouldn't re-start again. God, I can't keep removing the battery and returning it each time I want to use the computer, and with the energy crisis in California, I can't leave it on all day. What's going on?

Thanks,

Jeff

Perhaps the machine needs a new PRAM battery (i.e the Li one you are removing).

Chris

Actually - at some level, I wonder if starting / stopping your machine is harder on it than simply leaving it on.. Perhaps an urban legend, but my understanding is that cycling the power supply tends to stress your machine more. I think the monitors are the most inefficient so you can set them to turn off after a time, but leaving the computers on likely doesn't cost too much energy-wise.

Just my $0.02 - Our lab machines are always up...

Chris

I leave my machine(s) up except for vacations and weekends away. I do this in part because all the disk crashes I have ever had occurred on either startup or shutdown. Although with the CA power crisis, I would probably shutdown whenever I wasn't home to avoid a crash when my UPS runs out of juice. One of these days I will hook it into the computer. That said, in this case I would run to Radio Shack for a new battery. There have been other posts with the model number.

Actually, I HAVE tested it with a new battery from Radio Shack. Also the battery that was in there was tested at 3.55V.

Space monkeys....

That's an odd one - I'm at a loss..

O.K. - off the wall idea.. have you tried the Zap your PRAM hail Mary pass idea?... not sure but it can't hurt...

Chris

There is another thread here http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000184.html that is much more convoluted but contains a related issue of bad power supply. Especially read comments by trag who knows about NuBus Macs.