Thread: 9500 Weird Sleep of Death

9500 with G3/400 (not overclocked), 168 MB 60ns Gurus RAM, one internal 2gig Seagate Hawk data drive, one internal Wide Seagate Cuda boot/main drive running OS 8.6, ADB keyboard and mouse, XLR8 Point and Scroll mouse, ext. speakers, GV 28.8 modem, Apple 20", Sony 420GS 19".

PCI cards (top to bottom): busmaster FWB SCSI JackHammer Wide with 1.3.2 drivers (correct for 8.6), XLR8 DualPort USB card, empty, empty, ix3D card with most current drivers, IMS Twin Turbo 128 4MB card w/current drivers.

The problem: each day for the past two days my 9500 has slept into a Sleep of Death. While I am using it during the evening, I sleep it from the keyboard for 20 minutes to an hour and it wakes up normally. When I go to bed, I sleep it from the keyboard and don't touch it in the morning, a total elapsed time of about 18 hours. When I get home, both monitors LEDs are orange, indicating sleep, but when I hit the spacebar or the still-connected ADB mouse button, they won't wake up.

So I cut the power and try to cold-boot. Here's the weird part. Yesterday, I was only able to boot after removing one of the monitor connections. I tried everything else, like cutting wall power and waiting a few minutes, turning off power to peripherals in case of a power issue, disconnecting the modem, speakers, and USB mouse, holding the sequence to boot from the internal SCSI drive which is on a separate bus, and booting from a CD.

Today, I tried that, then decided to open the case and reseat all PCI cards to make sure it wasn't an electrical problem with the Jack and the boot Cuda. Then it booted, leaving me with the problem of diagnosing why the hell it keeps dying suring sleep, and praying nothing is wrong with my Jack or the boot volume.

Is "sleep from the keyboard" the same as sleep from the special menu? Are you sleeping the HD's too?

When I ran 8.6, mine went through a period where it would not wake from any key; only by a tap of the power key

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 27 February 2001).]

I have never let my S900 with OS8.6 sleep that long but, when I do wake it, I use the esc key. k

Sounds like it may be a sofware conflict; maybe some driver or preference file took a recent hit. Easy enough to begin investigation by ruling the third party stuff in or out. Reboot with 8.6 All before you retire for the evening, then sleep the system as usual. Some Apple sleep TILs implicate funkiness between InputSprockets and USB devices.

Regards

Hello Dookie.......Are you asleep?

dook, i talked to spud today about putting together a care package for you. I'm getting ready to torture test some Radeons and am finally reallocating drives internally, so we'll get a couple Rage 128's, a Miles2 and some LVD Seagates out to you.

he has one array on the bench to build....then I think we're packing Louie's stuff up, and shuffling stuff internally. If he comes in this weekend, we're there. If not, maybe next week, depending on RAID order volume. I'm trying to keep my fingers in the dike there, so we don't get overcommitted.

hang in there, my friend.

have you sent deb any hours lately? Let me know where we're at.

Well, I was going to volunteer a replacement JackHammer for him, but he won't need that now.

On second thought, do you know how much Second Lieutenants make now? More than you and me. Maybe he doen't need any care package.

well, spud finished that last array, so if he comes in this weekend, we'll be cleaning out stuff big-time and shipping boxes to Louie and dookie. I remember promising a RATOC to trag....so that should catch me up, I think.

sure feels good to have all these arrays off the bench!

Thanks. I have had no further problems, and the reason I didn't respond right away was I was trying to duration-test the sleep.

Louie: yes, sleeping from the kbd should be the same as menu sleep, which is not the same as when it sleeps itself when you don't touch it for a given length of time. No, I did not and never do sleep the drives.

I think it was a problem with the Jack being slightly unseated. This could have happened when I drove 953 miles in one day from Wichita Falls, TX, to Phoenix, AZ, with the machine in the car.

Spud is a badass. He said you are giving him an incentive pay plan, a brilliant idea. He is very proud of his work on arrays and enjoys Guru-signing-and-stamping a great deal.

I am working on getting broadband. I'll let you know hours once I start on the shirts.

I'm just giving the kid a raise. He's getting real good, his handiwork and technique are impeccable, and the rest is, I think, just a matter of time and experience. He deserves a raise. He's also getting fast. He really helped me out a lot this week. I hope I get to exploit him like a step-child this Summer.

I told him if he gets straight A's he gets a hundred dollar bonus. He hasn't brought me a report card yet to collect. If he comes in today, (Sat), we should have some stuff to send to you and Louie next Monday.

"If he goes in", sounds like the new generation to me. Was he told to come in?

I wish it were that easy. It seems to be a situation where a car is sometimes available, but not always, that sort of thing. He's real young...a junior in high school, I think?

Ah, so! I thought he was a Dookie junior clone.