Thread: G4 Breakdown!!

When I would start my G4 I would get a blank screen, after 20min. or so I would eventually get a folder then nothing would happen. After hard crashing it 3 times it would start up. I decided I should take it to the only mac dealer in town, it is still under warranty. He said he did not have a clue but ordered me another logic board and hard drive. After three weekes I now have my machine back. New logic board new hard drive, old stuff gone. Now when I start I get a blank screen for a few minutes then a disk with question mark then my smiling mac icon. Before I start reloading I wanted to check on any advice you might have. Also when it goes to sleep and I come back to it it takes about 5 minutes to start working again. This just doesn't seem right to me.

No way is that right. The "question-mark-disk-startup" issue is your source of both problems, I think. Is the drive IDE or is it attached to a SCSI PCI card? I would assume it is the stock IDE, but I could be wrong. Have you tried initializing the drive (low-level and zero all data) and installing a clean OS? The low-level format is a great, stringent test of the drive integrity.

A couple basic things, also. Are you sure all your RAM/PCI cards are seated firmly and fully? Have you reset the logic board (red button on the mobo)? Is the logic board battery fine (check with a multi meter for at least 3.6V DC).

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 23 February 2001).]

Didn't the dealer initialize the new drive, install an OS and test the machine after spending Apple's money on a new logic board and new hard drive (without even knowing what was wrong)? No wonder Steve Jobs is trying to squeeze the dealers out.

I saw one of these 20 min startup things on MacFixIt or somewhere recently. What applications do you have?

Here's a thread to study carefully http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/006713.html . This 25 min startup was caused by Norton AntiVirus. There's at least one other possibility listed in there that I've seen; saving a server connection. when you startup again, the machine hunts forever to find the now nonexistent server. Check your Network Browser CP. None of this would explain the blinking ? though.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 23 February 2001).]

Ok, I'm going to open it up and check the inside again. How do I do a low level intialize? I would assume that it is a stock IDE but what is IDE? The only SCSI card I know of is the one for my Jazz/Zip/Scanner line. The Applications I have are Adobe Photoshop 5.5. and Illustrator, Quark, Dreamweaver and Flash. I also have Apple Works and Quickbooks. I never put NAV on this machine, or any anti virus for that matter, bad girl! Do you have an antivirus to suggest? Right now there is only the system the dealer installed and Photoshop. I'm getting ready to install my epson 1270 drivers and my microtech usb cameramate. I really need my computer running, even if it's crippled, til wednesday. Could I hurt it by running it crippled or should I just take the time and reinstall OS now? I'm just a little freaked about time because I have an artshow on Friday that's all digital and my machine is crapping out. I've been borrowing others to print but that's a drag. thanks!!

Run Apple System Profiler (should be in you Apple Menu) and it will tell you what the drive is that is installed. To do a low-level, the best place to start is running DriveSetup (should be in your utilities folder). These are all Apple programs, so they should be there. Have you run Disk First Aid recently?

Yes, it can get A LOT worse running it crippled. And it will. How long it will take is a matter of discussion. But if this is a problem with the drive, I can't see how it would stay the same or get better without repair.

Norton Anti-Virus 7 is a fine program. I have been running it successfully on a few Macs here without event.

Keep us posted. I have a soft spot in my heart for artists (maybe it has something to do with my BFA ). What kinda stuff you doing, out of curiosity?

Nevermind, I checkd out your site. I went to Alfred Univ (NYS), so I took a shine to that glass piece.

Speaking of color (as you do), ever been to the Badlands? The Wyoming trip, and all, I would hope you made it there.

ok...first thing to do is boot off your System software CD, then go to the Startup Drive control panel and select your internal hard drive. Then do a restart. It should boot much more quickly now, off the internal drive.

I can't believe your dealer forgot to do that for you. Hopefully that's the problem.

I've checked all my ram chips and they look fine. Have run disk aid and hard drive seems checked out fine. The drive is attached to the IDE. I might be an idoit but I did not see a red button that looked like it could be reset. A little chicken to do a low-level initalize, time issue,plan to do on wednesday. I did boot off my system software. That took care of the blinking ? disk getting, to the hard drive is still slow, however once it I get to OS start up it's faster. It just doesn't seem to be recognizing the hard drive right away. Once it does it seems fine. When I turn on the power button I get the mac sound then nothing, I don't get any internal sound and just a blank screen. After several minutes it sounds like the cd starts going and then it kicks in and the OS start up icon appears. Before I took it to the dealer the machine would make a high pitched noise. Could there be a short in a cord or something...A friend pointed out to me that my date was set to 1904, just an odd note. One other question After I print off my epson I cannot connect to internet through remote access without freezing. I was told this happens if you do not make apple talk inactive, so I did, still happens. Any ideas.

Never made it to the badlands, heard it is great. Went to Arizona is January seems slightly like Mars. The work that I'm showing is at evansimaging.com/flash. me>gallery. It's totally a work in progress, haven't worked on it in some weeks, apparent reasons. Thanks for your time sorry for the novel.

Stacey

go to the Startup Drive control panel and select your internal hard drive. Then do a restart. It should boot much more quickly now, off the internal drive.

Wanted to let you know I was recommended to partition my drive. Seems to be a good idea. I'll let you know what happens.