Thread: what the heck is PowerMgrLib?

I just installed an MGE ellipse 500 UPS with USB which, in theory, should be able to shut down and then start up any USB mac. However, the MGE UPS control panel (to control these functions) won't open because:

"PowerMgrLib can't be opened-Can't find "UpdatePowerSource
    You may need to reinstall PowerMgrLib"

So, it looks like PowerMgrLib is integrated into the Finder (?), and I clean installed last night, but same problem.

Thanks,
    Ben

Ben,

What OS version are you running and what does the UPS say about OS versions? k

Running 9.1 and MGE requires 9.04 and above. I'm wondering if 9.1 installs different kinds of Finders on different machines - that is, it installed a beige G3 specific/non-PowerMgrLib'd Finder of sorts...

Hey bk,

Those messages usually can't be taken quite literally. It could be a conflict extension with some USB or other extension installed by the UPS software. Have you looked in your extensions folder for this library? Have you tried reordering the new extensions or doing any other conflict testing? I do not think PowerMgrLib is part of the OS, so I'm guessing it should be installed by your software.

Regards

I think I read that OS 7.6 folded the PowerMgrLib into the System file (perhaps read on an Apple TIL...?). Anyway, I'm running a pretty lean extensions folder after I clean installed 9.1. I'm going to work with it a little bit (force the UPS extension to load earlier etc.) and see what I come up with.

Someone also mentioned that it is a PowerBook specific resource...?

It sounds "PowerBookish" to me.

Yeah, what I suspect (tho' totally going on very fallible instinct) is that the 9.1 installer maybe reads the ROM of the computer and then installs a model-specific Finder or System; in my case, a beige-G3 specific one. The Finders or Systems for new-world machines with built-in USB would have the PowerMgrLib folded, while mine wouldn't.

That's my far-out guess...

I'm still going to play musical extensions and will report back later.

I've been doing searches forever re: PowerMgrLib and UpdatePowerSource, only to come up with arcane pages for developers. Finally, one of those pages noted a "Power Manager 2.0" issue. Searched Macfixit and came across this depressing news for us "old world" folks:

APC's UPS units: shut-down problems (especially with older Macs)

Barbara Passman received the following reply from Jonathan Hardges, of APC, explaining with their UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) units (such as the Back-UPS Pro 500) cannot do an automatic shutdown:
    Apple's native support for UPS's unfortunately does not include support for "older" hardware. Only "new world" machines are supported. A beige G3, even with a USB card installed, is not supported. Unfortunately there is no workaround for this.

Installing a USB card is not enough. The fundamental reason for the lack of support is that the USB power class driver is dependent on Power Manager 2.0 level support on this hardware. Power Manager will not support a UPS on a beige G3.

FYI, the power class driver is not a stand-alone driver that can be downloaded. It exists as a code fragment called "USBPowerClassLib" in the "USB Device Extension" extension. On older systems this code fragment may exist in the extension, but it will not load when the system boots, because the hardware is unsupported by Power Manager 2.0. Therefore when APC Shutdown Manager checks for the presence of this driver, it finds that it is not loaded into memory and issues the warning."

Steve Graesser had similar problems, including startup crashes associated with the new APC Shutdown Manager v1.0 software. See also previous coverage.

BTW, I'm getting a little sensitive/irritated by vendors obscuring compatibilities...especially since it's costing me shipping money both ways and costing the retailers restocking/markdown money. I'm more convinced now that the VST in my other thread is a new-world issue as well. I wish vendors would differentiate between beige and B&W, instead of blithely saying "compatible with G3 & G4".

I mean, c'mon!

<rant over>

dig.

just to be certain, you did install USB 1.4.1 or later, right?

Yeah, it's USB 1.4.6 from OS 9.1. Me thinks having a UPS with the features the Win world has is a lost cause. Man...

I think you are right.

A fellow over on one of the programming news groups wrote that sometimes one can extract these code fragments and package them as an extension of their own. Being outside the larger package, they always load, so sometimes you can get the functionality that way.

The context in this particular case was that StarCraft and HOMMIII do not run on non-PCI PowerMacs, even if they have been upgraded with G3 cards. The reason is that those games make calls to routines in a library which is only loaded in PCI macs and is embedded in the System file. He said that he extracted it, set it up as an extension and was able to run those games on NuBus machines.

Unfortunately, he assumed that his audience would know how to do that (he was in a programmers news group after all) and I don't have a clue how it's done. Interestingly, I did find the needed library (for the games, not for Power Manager) floating free in one of the folders in my copy of Code Warrior 10. But I don't know how to make it into an extension. Later I decided to email him about it and that's about when DejaNews lost all the archives from more than about six months back. Sigh.

But a clever programmer might be able to use this method to make that work--or it might simply create a machine that crashes every time it loads that ersatz extension.

I had the same thought but suspect that a workaround extension wouldn't fly; not that I could even do it, tho'. My guess is that is that the Gossamer board won't take power managing commands via a PCI slot even if the extension were to load - I imagine that with a hack, it could actually get kinda ugly and maybe even corrupt the ROM??

There was an extension called "Gestalt and Battery" that came out at Machack in '98 and it was supposed to enable hidden PowerBook functions in OS 8.X in Mac desktops with serial-port UPS systems, so maybe it can be done. In '99, people were talking on Macfixit about hacking APS's PowerChute software also. Both hacks, however, were dealing with UPS's that connected directly to the machine without any kind of abstraction via a PCI card...

On a side note, the MGE UPS _is_ a nice unit and I've heard many good things about. The ellipse 500 is a good looking unit and supposed to be as good as the APC 500 USB models for almost $50 less. To be fair, they're new to Macs and only know OS 9 & "new world" machines decently from what I can tell.

Still...

[This message has been edited by benkim (edited 23 February 2001).]