Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Booting From RAID

damn--there's nothing like having a real authority step in and put all speculation to rest!

thanks, Chris!

that helps a lot!

Thanks Chris:

Can you think of a reason why I could run the PTP at 480/240/48 for a year without even considering "Write-Through" and then be required to use it when adding two Miles 2 cards, two X15 Cheetahs, one 10k Cheetah and striping the two X15's (even when slowing to 466/233/46.6)?

In addition to the RAID volume I have four other boot volumes; OS 9.04 and OS 8.6 volumes on an 18 GB UltraNarrow Barracuda hosted by a BlueNote and OS 9.04 and OS 8.6 volumes on a 9 GB 10k Cheetah that is hosted by one of the two Miles 2 cards that handle the two-bus RAID.

I am able to boot and run flawlesly from any of these four volumes at 480/240/48 without checking "Write-through". I can even run ATTO on the RAID volume fom any of these other volumes

The RAID volume refuses to boot or run unless "Write-through" is checked.

I haven't had a chance yet to deactivate the 10k Cheetah to see if that changes anything.

Darin, when you finish playing with pet mice, how about some wise comment here.

I just tried removing the 10k Cheetah from the system and got exactly the same situation as described below.

Sounds like we need Darin or Chris. k

I doubt that they will know.

This may fall into the category of things we'll never understand--fortunately things work!

My $2000 problem has not gone away. Of all you RAID users, there are no other ideas?

Louie,

I haven't been following your thread but have you tried pulling all the scsi devices and PCI cards except the four 15k cheetahs and booting at the default 500 Mhz? Seems like you have quite the SCSI ID collection there. Do you have a spreadsheet to keep track? (just a joke)

Try Darin's solution of formatting the x15s as hfs and not hfs+.

I understand what you are going through Louie. Pisses me off when B&W G3s and Sawtooths have been out for years and no one knows how to get around the raid booting in these machines. The G4 block was quickly taken care of, but the raid issue remains.

j.

[This message has been edited by jorge (edited 20 November 2000).]

Louie, doesn't your Mac work correctly with "write-thru" enabled?

Magician:

It works "correctly" if you consider that Write-through must be activated to boot and run from the RAID volume whereas Write-through is not needed for four other boot volumes. Also, I'm not anywhere near the criteria that Chris said would necessitate Write-through.

I was never my intention to spend $2000+ and a week's work to go faster and then have to take a 7-10% performance hit with Write-through.

And Jorge; thanks for the comment. Except for Kaye's help, I've felt like a leper. This was not supposed to be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 20 November 2000).]

Hey Louie, I understand the way you are feeling about this.
    Although maybe I'm a bit less disappointed than you about having to run with write thru enabled I can't get this thing out of my head and I keep tinkering to get it working as its supposed to do.

Thanks ton:

I was about to do a search and reread your earlier posts on the matter.

sorry you feel like a leper, Louie.

I have no clue why it would behave like that. I don't think anyone knows.

I just went back and read Ton's thread from Aug-Oct. It's easy now in retrospect to see that his prolonged agony was being triggered by exactly what I'm seeing. The instant that the back-side cache kicks in at startup, everything freezes. Enabling Write-through is a workaround.

In Ton's case, the Newer card was blamed. But, I have an XLR8 card. This points me to SoftRAID 2.2.2 or the Miles 2 card/firmware.

Louie,

Did I ask you in email whether your RAID only has 9.0.4 on it? My memory sucks, afflicted with speculative processing. Have you tried booting with 8.6 from the RAID? k

You asked me, but I can't remember if I answered.

My RAID was My Step One; one huge volume, no partitions, OS 9.04 only. So, I haven't tried booting from 8.6 on the RAID volume. It boots and runs great with 8.6 and 9.04 on other volumes including the 10k Cheetah on one of the Miles 2 cards.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 20 November 2000).]

My feeling, but thats just what is, is that the raid is stressing the bus to much, which could point to Softraid or The Miles firmware as Louie expressed before.

what happens when you run off just one Miles2, not two?

if you think about it, there could be something very, very low-level happening when you bus duplex that forces the backside cache to get flushed.

In my continuing quest to solve the "Write-Through" requirement which shouldn't be a requirement, Kaye loaned me some of his toys to play with.

He sent a brand-new, matched gift set of 128 MB FPM RAM. Seriously, these were wrapped together; a brace if you will. Instead of being either 16244 or 162244, this stuff was 163244AA. It had stickers that said 60ns, but the chips were all marked -5, indicating 50ns to me.

I pulled all of my RAM and it replaced it with Kaye's. No change. Incidently, mine is all 162244, 60ns.

Kaye also sent his XLR8 Carrier with 500 MHz CPU. This is the one he has been using in his PTP tests and it was still set at 540/270/54!

I pulled my Carrier with a 466 that has been running forever at 480/240/48 and replaced it with Kaye's card. (Yes, I set it back to Default of 500/250/50; I didn't want it to melt on my watch!)

Result; no change!

Next, I ran Kayes card and my RAM. No Change.

Before all this, I had reformatted and striped using Intech's 3.1.1. The RAID volume refused to mount, so after several tries, I went back to SoftRAID 2.2.2.

I considered trying ExpressRAID 2.3.1, but it looked like a total pain in the ass and I dropped that idea.

I'm getting excellent transfer rates; 77 MB/s reads and 71 MB/s writes, but having to run with "Write-Through" checked, I'm taking a hit of 13% in CPU performance.

After all I've tried, I can only assume it is caused by either SoftRAID, Initio's firmware or both and I'm still not a happy camper.

Ton: what is the dash number of your logic board? Mine is -04 and Kaye's is -05, I think.

hmmm...Louie, I wonder if it could be even lower level than that? I'm thnking ROM revisions here...something that impacts the way the PCI controller works? See where I'm going with that?