Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 7100/66AV

I assume you've already replaced the battery, right. And, you checked the voltages at the power connectors, right?

Here's something you could try: disconnect the HD and CD player; both power and SCSI ribbon. Try a start. If the logic board and video are working, you will get the chimes and finally a blinking question mark on the screen because it can't find a drive.

I undid the HD and cd player, nothing when started, just the fan running.I didn't even bother hooking a monitor up to it.

Do you think I need a new motherboard??? Is it worth fixing up??

Did you ever check the power supply with a voltmeter?

Personally, it would not be worth fixing, but knowing me, I'd probably do it anyway.

A logic board would be cheap on eBay. You can buy a G3 card for it.

And, they make great Linux boxes as is.

O.k. here's the scoop-I tested the volts and the power supply seems to be fine,
    coming to the conclusion that it must be a bad motherboard.it has been suggested by a few of your technicians that I have two options:
    either plunk some money into it and get a motherboard or junk it.Any other ideas that it could be, let me know.
    I am taking a survey, so let me know what you would do with it. I will tally the votes and make my final decision from your ideas.

Hey! Somebody that knows 7100's help cat out. I've only seen one 7100 in my whole put-togethers.

Looks like getting another motherboard would be easy and cheap. Lots of them on ebay:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetRes ult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=7100+mac

I don't know what I'd do personally. I don't know the 7100. Guess it would depend on how much I had to spend...

Urinal Puck

[This message has been edited by Urinal Puck (edited 12 October 2000).]

I've used a few 7100's at work and they always seemed like a dead end machine for my architectural uses/needs. Like puck said, it all depends on how much $$ you want to sink into it and really what you want to do with it in the end.

If you want a web/word processing machine it should be ok, but even MS Office taxes the stock setup. I'd say figure out what you want then see if it can be fit into the plan. If not, there are plenty of boxes on e-bay looking to ne hopped up.

Good luck.

~~~Eric~~~

I wouldn't spend money on that machine--not when you can get upgradable PCI Power Macs for under a $100.

Catplastic has emailed me on several of the issues including her last question. My answer was the same as what magician says. I suggested a PCI Power Mac unless she just wants the experience of motherboard replacement which could be daunting.

Right now she has about $35 in the machine, battery and ROM card. We also, at this point, don't know for sure whether there is an AV card, or, if there is one, whether it works. She may be connecting to the DRAM Video Monitor port. If the previous owner removed the ROM card, what else did he remove?

Another issue, the L2 Cache card, if working, is probably 256KB. The 256KB cards have a long history/reputation for flakiness. The 512KB and 1MB L2 Cache cards are solid performers. But, of course, if she will eventually go G3, then the L2 Cache card can be removed.

As I mentioned to Catplastic via email, from this point on, things get expensive to get the machine running, even more to get it running well. k

I want to thank all of you for being there for me, you guys are GREAT!!!!!
    I would like to see it running, so I got a replacement motherboard on EBay for $30, am waiting for it to arrive. The experience will be fun and challenging. I will let you know how I turn out!
    Keep up the super work of being there for everyone in time of need!
    Thanks again!!!

Why did I think that you would be foolish like me and fix it? I can't stand to have something that doesn't work.

Kaye's the man for NuBus Macs.

Remember the grounding rule. Whatever this motherboard does not have, start adding slowly, step at a time. Hopefully it already has a ROM card and L2 Cache card. Don't add your old ram until it already is up and running well. This and other things to consider, such as where you are going to plug your monitor into. Let us know if you have problems or success. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 16 October 2000).]

well...there's no better way to learn.

not all are called....but those who are....well, who among us here doesn't have boxes of stuff that others might call junk?

I'm guilty as hell....and I've already cleaned out the basement once this year. Getting ready to do it one more time.

get ready, Louie.

Well guys, I got my motherboard today!! I got the old one out and the new one in, in less than half and hour! Turned it on and it purrs like a kitten!! Thanks again guys for the troubleshooting, we would be lost without you guys!
    I have a question, not as bad as the first one: I would like to add a bigger external HD, what do I need? I need a NuBus scsi card, right?? where do I find such an animal? Would I need a standard scsi HD or wide or what?

Kaye is the NuBus Expert.

Kinda makes you feel good to be persistent and finally get it going doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 19 October 2000).]

That is great. You have done something that I never have, mobo replacement. There are two NuBus SCSI cards worth their salt, the ATTO SiliconExpress IV and the NuBus JackHammer, both eBay type of purchases, about $50. Both are Fast and Wide SCSI-2 (20MB/s). Out of the box, the ATTO card is faster and almost nothing to setup, pretty much plug-n-play. The JackHammer at default settings is slower, but with the proper tweaking, it is considerably faster of the two cards. I have four of the ATTO SE IV cards in my parts bin and maybe five or six JackHammers. Both worked well for me. The JackHammer, I hooked up a U160 LVD Cheetah X15 to it, and the drive defaulted back to single-ended and Fast and Wide SCSI-2 at 18MB/s sustained read and write (you always lose a little due to overhead) which is the best I ever attained on a NuBus machine.

That said, if I recall correctly, way back at the beginning, you mentioned a G3 upgrade. Is that still in the cards? If so, the only combination of G3 and NuBus SCSI card that are compatible is the JackHammer and the FewerTech (I have to mask the real name or magician goes into a tizzy, I think he has a filter that tells him when someone says the word). If you have space internally and want to use the internal fast SCSI-2 bus (10MB/s), then you could use a Sonnet G3/G4. Questions? k

I want to do the G3 upgrade, but have to wait for now, can't afford it, but still on my wish list. I bought from a friend a Quadra 650, cheap. It has an APS 2GB external HD and has been tweaked by the first owner before my friend got it. I figured it was cheap enough to put the HD on the 7100/66 and check out memory and maybe use it, depending on size. Should it be a problem switching HD's??

>>I would like to see it running, so I got a replacement motherboard on EBay for $30

cat, that's great. I too hate to see anything sitting around broken that could be fixed. Lightning hit mine when it was pretty new, and even doing the mechanical work myself the fix definitely came to more than $30! But it seemed worth it at the time, considering the thing cost $2400 new (and that was -after- Apple's developer discount - ouch).

A 7100 may not be not much by current standards, but by resurrecting one yourself at just the right time, well, if you look at it from the right angle (and squint ), it's like saving $3000....

>>I would like to add a bigger external HD, what do I need? I need a NuBus scsi card, right??

Just connect the APS external to the 7100s built-in SCSI port; no need for a card.

>>Should it be a problem switching HD's??

If you wanted to -swap- it for the existing internal drive, that would be a snap too. If the external's in one of those APS cases with the gray rubber feet, yank them straight up (or down) and out. The screws that hold the case together will be revealed. With the bare drive out of the case, the rest is easy.

In the spirit of sidetracks...

Have any of you actually seen a case where the battery prevented a 7100 from booting up correctly?

The reason I am asking, is that while there are many Macs and clones for which a good battery is essential to proper booting, there are also several models for which the battery does not matter at all. I have always believed that the 7100 fell into the latter category.

The battery issue is often related to the type of power supply the machine has (though in the Q605, LC/P 475/476 I think it has to do with video VRAM settings). The 7100's power supply goes all the way back to the Mac IIcx, perhaps with minor modifications in capacity. None of the other machines which use that power supply (IIcx, IIci, IIvi, IIvx, Q700, Centris 650, Q650) have any issues booting with a flat battery. Of course the clock will be wrong and such, but they boot up just fine.

So, I don't think the 7100 actually needs a good battery to boot up properly, but actual experience is the final arbiter. My experience has been that the 6100 does need a good battery, but that the 8100 does not. Yet, the Power 120 does. The Radius 81/110 shouldn't since the motherboard and power supply are virtually identical to Apple's 8100.