Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 7100/66AV

I read that TIL article a long, long time ago, and understood as well that the logic board PDS slot needed to be terminated. Power Computing did include PDS terminators in some machines which shipped without HPV or AV cards, as did Apple NuBus servers of that era.

Any more scoopage on "catplastic"'s 7100 problem? - was it the video? or something more nefarious going on inside that machine?.

In the realm of perpetual energy - the IIsi that I bought way back in 1991 (or 92) is still working away w/ the original PRAM battery... and I still have a old Mac grey scale full page portait monitor (the odd rectangularly shaped ones) working away on my server..

For some reason, I don't know why, the Power Computing PDS terminator looks different than the Apple PDS terminator out of an 8100. k

k

that gives me pause. I thought those parts were interchangeable. Maybe they are....but then, maybe they aren't.

A few years ago I called Radius Vintage Tech Support, back when they were still selling parts for the Radius 81/110 NuBus. Asked whether they had a PDS terminator I could purchase. Yes they did. I asked whether it would work in a Power 120. Long pause, put me on hold, answer was do not put their terminator in a Power 120. I never did ask him if the Radius terminator was the same as an Apple terminator. k

wow.

thanks for the tip.

Start with replacing the pds terminator???

catplastic,

No, no, no... You have to understand that frequently on these forum threads we get sidetracked. It doesn't make for a clear thread for you to troubleshoot, but sometimes it causes other issues to surface and then we get sidetracked. Back on Sept 29, I gave you a link to a picture of your motherboard so that you could see whether your ROM and L2 Cache slots have cards in them or are empty. A couple of posts later, magician suggested pulling your memory, which is a frequent cause of problems. Have you looked into these issues? Let us know and we will get back on topic. k

Kaye-
    Here's the scoop: The L2 cache slot it empty, there's a card in the ROM slot
    I pulled the memory out. I plugged it into a different keyboard and monitor,
    It doesn't chime or sound like the HD is spinning, just the noise that it has
    been turned on. What's next? Put the ROM card in the L2 cache slot? Any
    suggestions??

Should I go ahead and replace the pram battery?

A fresh PRAM battery may not cure things, but it is the simplist, cheapest possibility and the logical next step.

Radio Shack has the PRAM battery, #23-026, $10. Make sure you note which end is +, because, if I recall correctly, the battery holder is difficult to see inside on your machine where it shows the correct orientation. Also the battery holder has a cover (if it is there) with a rectangular hole in the top. Grab the cover end-to-end and squeeze lightly and pull one end up which should release the cover. Now you can dig out the battery.

Can you describe the ROM card to me? Go here and tell me if it looks like this (ROM) http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?item,m341-0741 or does it look like this http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?item,s256kc-14mac (L2 Cache)

If it looks like the L2 Cache, then you need a ROM card. If it looks like the ROM card, the machine will boot without an L2 Cache card. Let us know. k

definitely replace the battery. Make sure the battery is kicking out a hard 3.6v.

also, check your power supply. If you are not getting 5v off one lead, and 12v off the other, steady, then you may have a failing power supply.

It has the L2 Cache card not the ROM card. I got a new battery and will test the machine later today to see if that was the answer. I will let you know. Even so, do you think I should get a ROM card?

It won't run without a ROM module.

catplastic,

The machine will never work without a ROM card. Go to the link I gave for the ROM card and purchase it. It is the only way the machine will work. Forget testing with the battery now. Just put it in for now. Understand that ROM cards for old machines are hard to find and Sur-Techs prices are very good. So don't shop around. Just make sure you purchase the right ROM card. Now there may be other problems with the 7100 but we will never know until you get that ROM card installed. Once you are sure of the orientation, it will take a very firm push on the top of the card at both ends to get the card all the way into the slot.

Be sure that you have a 7100/66AV and not a 7100/80 because the ROM cards for those machines are different. If it says 7100/66AV or 7100/66 on the front or back, that should be good enough. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 05 October 2000).]

I sent for the ROM card, so will be anxious to get it, then cross my fingers
    upon starting!! I can't believe someone would take out that card!! They must have needed it for their own computer!!

Maybe thought that it was the L2 cache card, but I too wonder. Anyway, because those two slots never get used, they are extremely resistant to installing or removing those cards. I read once where a guy could only remove one of the cards with pliers pulling up slightly at one end and then rocking the card up slightly at both ends until it came out. I don't recommend this but just to be absolutely sure that the L2 Cache card is also not a problem, I would like for you to remove it and blow the dust out of both slots. When the ROM card arrives, put it in the ROM slot (though it can be put in either of the slots) and leave the L2 Cache card removed for the moment. It is not necessary for boot.

See if the machine boots. If OK, shutdown and install the L2 Cache card in its slot and startup. See if OK.

Last, remember to ground yourself before putting your fingers on any of the motherboard or cards. And frequently ground yourself, I count to 15 when doing so. k

those slots will probably be very, very stiff, too, so make sure that you are pushing down very firmly to ensure that you are fully seating the ROM and cache SIMMs.

you will certainly need to press down hard enough that your logic board will flex beneath the pressure.

I grounded myself first, of course, then cleaned out the slots. I took
    out the L2 cache card and put in the ROM card in its proper slot. I
    plugged in a monitor, started it from the back of the machine ( I didn't
    have a keyboard handy). It didn't chime, just made an initial running
    sound,which was the CD rom. It is just like it was before, no
    monitor view, no chime, no constant running like they do when booting up.
    What next????