Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 7100/66AV

Hi Jeff,

I did know, thanks to you, that some Macs would boot with a flat battery, but did not know that the 7100 might fall into that catagory. And then there is the Power 120 that needs a good battery, even though it also has a quarter size button battery inside the power supply. Remember that? I never did figure out what that was for, even though there were two or three wires (I forget which) coming from the power supply circuit board around that battery and going to a separate connector on the motherboard. Did you ever figure that one out? k

Hi again!!
    Just letting you know that everything is purring smoothly!
    I got the external HD working (even tho I don't know how to let the computer know how to use the external as the main starting HD). Thanks you guys, you are GREAT!!!!!

If the external drive has a blessed system on it, just open the Startup Disk Control Panel and highlight the external drive.

My beloved 7100 has a new problem. Immediately after hitting the power button, I get a low,half speed distorted "boooonggg" instead of the normal "ping".
    Any clues?? Could it be a dead battery or a failed motherboard?
    Any help is much appreciated. I have another 7100 here so I could try swapping
    components.
    Ned

Does it go on to finish the startup sequence?

No, it just sits there with a blank screen, no disc activity, nothing.

Ned,

What was the old problem? This is not the same 7100 as catplastic, is it?

Have you recently changed anything in hardware/software? The Mac goes thru several tests during startup and the ping indicates that all of the startup tests have passed. Typical and most frequent are that battery, memory, and a possible power supply problem. There are others, but I would start with those. The ROM in a NuBus Mac requires that your boot drive or boot partition (the partition or drive that contains your system folder) must be 2GB or less (not even one bite larger than 2GB) for reliable booting.

Also, make sure the fan is running and that all cards/ram are fully seated in the slots. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 05 December 2000).]

Sorry about the confusion. This is not the same as catplastic.
    My first problem was a failed hard drive which I replaced(with a 1 gig hdrive), and it worked fine for 2 months. I will try a new battery and reseating all the chips. Also maybe removing the xtra memory and booting with 16 meg only?
    I'll let you know what happens.