Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 7100/66AV

I acquired this machine because the motherboard is shot, can't see anything when hooked up to a monitor, the computer doesn't do anything. I want to put a Sonnet G3 upgrade into it. From the reading I have done on the web, you have to install the software first before putting in the new processor, how can I do that being I can't see anything? Can I put in the processor before the software? what should I do? HELP!!

Ummm - sounds like you have a bigger problem than whether you can install the Sonnet card in it...If the motherboard is shot, then I suspect that you can't do much more than salvage parts from it (I could be wrong - someone might suggest a possible fix)

Does the machine even chime when you start it up? Does the HD spin? Does the CD-ROM make noise?...

You can put the processor in before the software but it won't do any good because the machine starts the boot process off of the motherboard processor until the Crescendo extension loads, which then disables the motherboard processor and enables the PDS slot G3 card.

Question and comment. Is there anything presently in the PDS slot? HPV card? Check all cards firmly seated. If nothing is happening at all, try changing the PRAM battery. The 7100/66 will not boot with a flat battery. A no-load voltage test of the battery will not tell you if the battery is capable of starting the computer. Second, if you have only been trying to startup with the keyboard power key, check the ADB connections.

Also try another keyboard. Sometimes that power key gets internally stuck in an intermediate position and it will never start nor will it start by any means if the key is stuck in another position. The key will generally pop up but internally the switch position may not be right.

Let us know your results as well as answers to ChrisYip's questions. His questions are important to the troubleshooting. k

Speaking of batteries - I had a Pentium Pro 200 machine in our lab suddenly stop talking to its data acquisition cards. Most baffling until we rebooted the machine and noticed that the date/time were reset to 1990. We pulled the motherboard battery and it was pretty much shot. Put a new one in and then we had to hit the F1 key to enter the system BIOS, reserve a pile of IRQ's so the cards are recognized and accessible, etc. - whew - was worried for a second - a $5 battery keeps a $250,000 machine running...

Chris.

that machine cost a quarter-mil?

holy canoli.

what does it do?

In reply to ChrisYip's questions, it makes noise when starting up, but doesn't chime. Being nothing shows up on any monitor, could it be a problem with the video card? I am dumb when it comes to troubleshooting, so any help will be much appreciated! Any suggestions?

OK, the machine is powering up. Am wondering if you even have a ROM card. Go here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mbppc7100.html and look at the diagram for the ROM card slot location and the L2 Cache slot location. Note that though the slots are marked which card goes in which slot on the diagram and on your motherboard, the slots are identical, AND the cards can be installed in either slot and still work fine. BUT, if you do not have a ROM card installed in either slot, it will never boot. Let us know. k

Hi...

actually we have 3 of those $250K machines in our lab. Our days are spent poking, pushing and pulling molecules around using what are known as scanning probe microscopes.. suffice it to say that for us 10's of microns is HUGE for us <grin>...

check out http://bigten.ibme.utoronto.ca.

Chris.

that machine has logic board memory.

pull all memory, and see if you get a chime. If you do, you made a leap forward in your diagnosis.

remember that memory must be installed in matched pairs in the 7100!

damn, Chris.

have you read The White Plague by Frank Herbert?

just curious.

Microns and 7100's; what a mix!

I talked to the party who previously had this machine and he said that it was gradually developing a black monitor until at last it wouldn't display anything on a monitor at all. He would jiggle cords until the picture would show up, but the last it wouldn't display a pic on any monitor he tried. I hope this is a help?!? I will look inside and see if there is any memory to try and pull. Otherwise, any help from this info will be great!!

Hi...

haven't read the White Plague - but did read Dune a while ago - the movie was.. well...ummmm...interesting.

--- back to the 7100 --- we have the exact same model in the lab now and we popped in a Crescendo card a few weeks ago.

You mentioned a video card - are you using the onboard video or a actual separate card?. Maybe the card is blown but the onboard is good? - I know I've blown up an Nubus Ethernet board (inadvertantly)....

Chris.

Dune the movie was probably one of the best looking sci fi movies ever. lynch's vision of a neo-medieval thechnology was brilliant. actually it was amazing that he even attempted to make a 2hour movie out of one of the most involved and complex novels of all time. can't say he succeeded but it sue looked good and some scenes were brilliant. though sting was miserably miscast.

M

don't even get me started on the Dune books and the movie. Probably my faves of all time, seriously.

Chris brings up an excellent point...there are two video subsystems on the 7100, and it could be as simple as switching from one to the other, or even reseating VRAM on the logic board or the HPV card. The AV card, if that is installed, is of course not upgradable.

the first book was a masterpiece of political intrigue and overall storytelling. the second book was not as good and they got progressively worse after that. very few writers have ever successfully managed to sustain that kind of writing over a whole series.

if you love gripping, complicated books with a universe spanning scope,m deep insight into the human experience, and a generous dollop of numor to boot, read Ian M Banks. any of his books are great! (he also writes mainstream fiction. check out 'the wasps') i recommend them highly especially the those based on the 'culture'.

M

Re: sci-fi - I loved reading RingWorld by Niven..

I am in the middle of a Niven extravaganza right now.

My favorite Dune book was not even the first--it was the last.

They are all very different, but the cool thing about them is that they each peel another layer off the onion of the Dune universe. And that's why I enjoyed them so much. It is a huge opus. I wish Herbert had lived another 100 years!

I did read House Atriedes, and have a preorder in-place with Amazon for House Harkonnen. I didn't mind House A at all. In fact, I read it twice.

Sci-Fi, the TV channel, is releasing a remake of the Dune movie. I liked Lynch's attempt, but hated the ending. It was long, but I didn't mind it at all. I wish it hadn't deviated from the book so much, but it is still on the Summer List of Must See Movies for my son and I.

Hmmm - was paddling through some sites today and found the following:

Never run a 7100, 8100, 8150, 9100, or 9150 without a PDS video card or a PDS
    terminator. This can damage the motherboard. If the video card goes bad, you
    can replace it with another video card or use motherboard video after installing a PDS accelerator or "Apple Terminator, PDS, WGS 81XX." Apple TIL 15354.

This was posted on the "LowEnd Mac" site.. Now - I'm pretty sure that until I put in the Crescendo card, my 7100's PDS slot was unoccupied and the machine was working well so...?

Chris,

Everything said there is true, but I believe it to be a long term thing. Something should be in the PDS slot for proper motherboard termination, an HPV card or AV card or PDS G3/G4 card or the terminator which is only about 1" tall. But I have left the PDS slot empty for short periods of time with no problem. Long term, I would want something in the PDS slot. And, of course, YMMV. k