Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mac B+W configuration w/ Cheetahs

Hi Sara,
    This really sucks, I've had my share of computerproblems from time to time but this is second to none. I wish you luck and hope you get a replacement that will work troublefree, like a mac is supposed to, real soon.
    Ton

Yeah, bummer! Apple used to be nice to talk to. Now I avoid them. Good luck.

Sarah,

you should update Appleworks to 6.04. Its more stable and junk.

If its under Apple warranty, you should utilize their 1 year deal and let them deal with it. Usually, get a new zif and motherboard plus ram. Maybe even a power supply. Their thinking is, try to narrow down the problem, but when you get a run around like your machine, its more cost effective to replace parts.

Good luck Sarah.

G.

what are the odds that 2 machines in a row are toast?

please let us know what the problem ends up being. we are all very curious.

M

I got home, pushed the button, and now the machine is working again.
    this also happened on the other G3--but it was following a big power outage, before I put the machine on a UPS. I wish this event could be traced to the installation of Appleworks 6.0--but even before that, Netscape was displaying weirdness, the Trash would look like it hadn't been emptied (even got a message that said that it was empty), and then there's that perplexing flash (with bits and pieces of previously launched programs, or just colorful designs) that always appears for a split second on the screen at start up. I don't know--it would seem to me that one application (or two), particularly apps that have been written for this computer, should not cripple it, right? I have called Apple and am waiting for a response. Will keep you informed.

Had you tried reseating the video card?

Hey S,

One question about the Apple thing: are you absolutely sure you gota different box from Apple--the serial number is different?

Calling Apple will probably prove fruitless. I for one, don't think you have a bad box (assuming it is different from your first one--anything can happen once!)

Also, did you apply any Apple ROM Updates to these machines? If so, did you use the exact same Updater file (could it be corrupted)?

You need to dig in now and get serious with your troubleshooting, as simple as possible.
    Disconnect all PCI cards, reformat your IDE drive (leave it empty), disconnect all peripherals (ethernet,everything) except the monitor on your stock video port. Boot up from the TechTool Pro CD and run disk, CPU, memory, etc. tests repeatedly overnight (use autopilot--continuous, run every test you can with this configuration)

If no errors: go to step two

Install OS 9.0.4 on your IDE Drive including (only) Internet Explorer. Use Software Updates to get all current updates. Boot off the TechTool Pro CD and repeat tests overnight (add the System, Finder, Directory, etc. tests that will now be available)

If no errors: go to step three

I don't think any ROM updates were applied since I got the replacement machine. Is this the MacOS ROM Update (MacOS 9, version 3.7), that was installed in the system folder with 9.04?
    Is there somewhere else that I should be looking for this? When I looked for
    updates on the Apple site, the Ethernet Update 1.0 "replaces MacOS ROM file with new version 3.8" for G4's and imacs with ethernet reliability issues. Is any of this relevant to my machine, since so much of the instability seems related to the internet?
    What about the Boot ROM (version 1.1f4) that shows up in the Apple System Profile? (Please forgive my ignorance--have learned a lot in the past few months, but don't know much about ROM.)
    OK. I will check that the Rage 128 card is firmly seated, will reformat,and run
    TTPro.
    Does anyone have any ideas about why the computer would not turn on for almost 24 hours?

Sarah:

I don't have a B&W, but I think that there were several firmware updates. Maybe someone here that uses that type machine can point you in the right direction.

ROM updates are best handled by installing MacOS9, then using the Software Update control panel to install ALL other recommended updates.

But will that also catch firmware updates released before OS 9?

Well the question of whether both machines were exposed to the same ROM update file might be up in the air but, at least if this good advice about OS 9.0.4 is followed, the current machine should have a good ROM update. Sarah, ready for step three when you are

Louie, I believe it should, as updating to MacOS 9 itself incorporates the multiple updates released before it.

Here's what has happened since my last posting. Apple replaced the logic board, HD, and cable, and reinstalled OS 9.04 on one occasion; this did not resolve monitor issues of flashes and changing resolutions at startup or wake-up, but seems to have greatly improved the freezing issues. Connections via the cable modem were still slow, with Eudora 5.01 hanging interminably upon mail checking and sending, and my web browser (tried it with both Netscape and IE) extremely slow on loading pages, downloading, etc.
    On a second visit this past Fri., the VRAM on the Rage 128 card was replaced, and a new CPU was installed. Flashing of colors/lines still occurs at startup. A note: the monitor issues occurred on two separate monitors. Have not had resolution problems for the past three days.
    Connection by cable modem is still relatively slow. Only a couple of freezes--one in a web browser (IE 4.5) during a download, and the other occurred in Quicken 2001. It doesn't seem major at this point. Am inthe process of contacting Roadrunner to have them explore issues with the cable modem.
    I am still running with only 64 megs of RAM. Would like to reinstall the other 256 megs that are waiting inthe wings, and the Miles 2 and Cheetahs.
    Two questions:1. do you think it's OK to do this now,
    and if so, could you help me out with the procedure? I understand that the Miles2 card needs a firmware update (1.06?) and that I should update Softraid to 2.2.2.
    I will need guidance on jumpers and installation of the Cheetahs, since I didn't do this myself last time. I thought I saw a tutorial on this site somewhere showing how to install these drives internally.
    Thanks for your help.
    Sarah

Sarah;

I believe that your next step should be to reinstall the remainder of your RAM and make sure it is OK before complicating matters by adding the Miles 2 and Cheetahs. With all the RAM installed, use the machine hard and also run the PowerControl RAM test overnight.

To update the firmware for the Miles 2 card, the card has to be in a PCI slot, but it is best not to have anything attached to it. Be sure to have "Miles 2 SmartSCSI", the flasher app, and "inia100.sim", the 1.06b version of the flasher file in the same folder. Open "Miles 2 SmartSCSI" and click the "Firmware Update" radio button. If successful, "1.06" will appear as the new window title.

My memory is fading, so reconfirm please. You intend to stripe two Cheetahs on one Miles 2, right? Please remind me also of the model number of the two Cheetahs. Will you be using the cabling furnished with the Miles 2 or Granite cable and terminator?

I'll put the memory in today and run it before doing anything else.

The Cheetahs are models ST39102LW.
    I would like to stripe them on the Miles 2 card (again) with the cable that was provided by MacGurus in June 99.

Thanks for your help.
    Sarah

Check this jumper reference http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st39102lw.html . It appears that for LVD operation, no jumpers are required except for assigning ID numbers (J6). One drive probably should be ID 0 (no jumper) and the other should be ID 1 (jumper on Pin 1, J6).

I'm not sure what cables came from Gurus in June 99. Currently, the Miles 2 card comes with a bluish colored, twisted pair cable with a built in terminator at the far end.