Thread: Easy networking with X and 8.5, Possible??

I have an old Mac clone that I use for document scanning and faxing. It runs on 8.6 and has been chugging along since 1997. The scanner won't work with anything above 8.6 so I can't migrate it to another one of my machines.

I have a network with a D-Link router. However I can't seem to get this old dog to talk to any Mac or Windows XP machine that's on the network. I know the nic works because I can access the net via Explorer and Netscape.

I've reviewed all the networking documents on the Apple support site and nothing really helps.

Is it wishful thinking that I can get a Panther machine to see this old beast when I scan the local network? If so, how?

Right now, I'm wearing out my shoe leather walking these files back and forth on an old Zip drive. Sneakernet at it's best!

Stephen Kennedy

If you haven't, on the 10.3 machine, go into /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access and make sure that you have AppleTalk switched on. (That solved someone's OS 9 <-> 10.3 AFP connection problem here not so long ago.)

On the OS 9, enable AFP-over-TCP/IP in the, errr..., FileSharing CP, I think.

Jazzbo

quote:
    Originally posted by Jazzbo:
    If you haven't, on the 10.3 machine, go into /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access and make sure that you have AppleTalk switched on. (That solved someone's OS 9 <-> 10.3 AFP connection problem here not so long ago.)

On the OS 9, enable AFP-over-TCP/IP in the, errr..., FileSharing CP, I think.

Jazzbo

Jazzbo,

None of the above solutions seem to work for me. Either I'm way too stupid or I'm trying too hard. I have no OS8/9 networking experience. I thought that I would just set up the old mac for sharing, turn on Appletalk, enable networking and be able to connect to at least on other machine on the network, or have a Panther Mac see the OS8 box.

I can still swap files with a zip disk, which at this point seems to be easy and unelegant, kinda like my dating choices early in life.

Stephen Kennedy

[This message was edited by Jazzbo on Sat January 17, 2004 PT at 10:44.]

If you are using a router, you should be able to connect through the router via FTP. Each machine on the LAN has an IP address. Use Anarchie, Fetch, or your ftp client of choice, and just put in the IP of the target machine.

The target machine has to be ready to talk ftp. If it is an OSX machine, it's all set up; you just have to make sure ftp is enabled in the network prefs. I'd get more specific, but my OSX B&W is down right now. Kaye, jump in anytime.

If the target is a Windoze or 8.6 Mac, you need to run an ftp server program on it to enable it to receive ftp connections. There are free servers available on download.com. Rumpus is one for 8.6 Macs that I have.

All this said, the easiest way to do it is to use the OSX machine as the central server so you don't have to configure as much. As long as all the older Macs and XP machines have an ftp client (WS_FTP on Windows is the best/free), you can transfer to and from the server machine to your heart's content.

FTP is also faster than Appletalk if your netowrk is 10/100.
    hth...

I have a TiBook that is connected to the network via Airport. Can I make a direct Ethernet Cat5 connection from the Mac Clone to the TiBook? Will the rest of the OSX machines then be able to see the clone?

Stephen Kennedy

Okay, it works for me, so I'm going to write up as much as I can think of to describe my environment. By "works" I mean that I can mount things from my OS9 on my OSX and from my OSX on my OS9. Since you're running OS8.6, which I don't have, I can only hope this helps on that older OS.

OS9 machine
    Machine: 9600
    PCI 10/100 card cabled to 10/100 switch

TCP/IP CP
    ---------
    Configure: manually on the PCI card in slot F2
    Address: 192.168.1.52
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1 (our LinkSys firewall/router)
    Name Servers: (two addresses, from our ISP)

AppleTalk CP
    ------------
    Connect via Ethernet PCI card in slot F2

File Sharing CP
    ---------------
    Name/Password as one might expect
    Hostname: slide
    File Sharing: On, enabled over TCP/IP

Chooser
    -------
    Shows AppleTalk active

OSX machine
    Machine: Dual-Gig G4
    Cabled to the same 10/100 switch using on-board 10/100/1000 interface

Network Prefs
    -------------
    TCP/IP
    Configure: Manually
    Address: 192.168.1.50
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1 (our LinkSys firewall/router)
    Name Servers: (two addresses, from our ISP)

AppleTalk
    Make AppleTalk Active
    Configure: Automatically

Sharing Prefs
    -------------
    Computer name: gallus
    Rendezvous name: gallus
    Network address: gallus (I use an /etc/hosts file, Unix geek that I am)

Services
    Personal File Sharing: on and started

Firewall
    Stopped (I'm actually behind two firewall/routers)

/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access
    ----------------------------------------
    AppleTalk, LDAPv2, LDAPv3, NIS, Rendezvous, SLP, SMB enabled
    BSD Configuration Files and NetInfo disabled

--------------------------------------

At this point, Chooser on slide (the OS9.1) sees "gallus" in its selection list when I select AppleShare. Command-K in Finder on gallus (the OSX) sees "slide" in its selection list.

Authentication works in either direction with the usernames/passwords I assigned on the respective "servers" -- that is, when mounting slide disks onto gallus, I auth with slide's username/password; mounting a disk from gallus onto slide, auth with a username/password valid on gallus.

Jazzbo

I have a QS 733 OS 10.2.8 that has worked flawless on my 2 puter LAN using a LinkSys router/switch and a tempermental 7500-G3/400 OS 9.1 once a month or so I delete the TCP/IP pref and restart then be sure get the settings back right. For no real reason it always seems to work better -- corrupted file?

I can't see why the TiBook "would not" it should work fine. Change the connection settings to what you need to achieve now. No first hand experience but can't see why the Airport would bother anything - your changing the settings anyway.

Good luck, keep trying
    Randy

Jazzbo,

Thanks for the very detailed post. I can now get the OS8 machine to connect to the Panther G4 tower, but not vice versa.

Although this one connection is enough to transfer scanned documents and faxes.

Stephen Kennedy