Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seritek/1S2 SATA host card question

I got confussed while reading about the Seritek/1S2 SATA host card. If/when I purchase the Seritek/1S2 should I also purchase a SATA drive or ATA? Does the Seritek come with one cable?

If I understand or read things right an ATA drive will work on the SATA card but I also need a "SATA to ATA133 Converter" like this and would also need a cable. The SATA Drive will fit on the card with just the cable right?

It seems the SATA Drives are a bit faster and more expensive?

This is for my QS 733, 896MB RAM, 10.2.8 and I currently have two ATA drives on the stock bus.

Thanks
    Randy

Yes, the Seritek card comes with one cable. The cables are really cheap anyway (usually under $10). You could connect an ATA drive to a SATA controller card via the adpater. Opinions are mixed about this and supposedly Apple's G5's do not support this, but users have had success.

The main benefit of SATA is speed compared to the ATA 100/133. For the maximum benefit, you'll want a faster drive - 10k RPM and 8 MB Buffer. If speed is not your main goal, but rather space. Then adding a normal ATA-133 drive to existing system would be a cheaper choice.

Compared to ATA, SATA is slight more expensive - but it's much faster. Whereas, if you compare SATA to SCSI (like U160 or U320) - SATA is cheap, cheap, cheap! SATA is pretty close to U160 in performance - sometimes a bit better. It really depends on the drives and application.

should I also purchase a SATA drive or ATA?

Assuming your QS is bug and problem free (unlike Rick's and you need more drives, the question I have:

Why?

Do you want to RAID a pair of drives? more storage? speed?

If I understand things right an ATA drive will work on the SATA card but I also need a "SATA to ATA133 Converter" like this and also a cable.

Why add another cost and bridge? You want a 3rd disk drive? If you just want a controller, get an ATA controller and use your existing drives. Right now, as you know, some head-scratching is going on, and we'll be using you for beta testing the equipment (with your permission

It seems the SATA Drives are a bit faster and more expensive?

Anything new. You'll see that last's years $250 disk drive is half that today. But, many have 3 yr warranties, and most come with 8MB cache. The Raptor drives are 2x as expensive per GB, but they also come close to any 10K SCSI drive, too.

You'll be ready for your G5, anyway!

Randy,

Since your present PATA drives are installed in the rear double bay, either a PATA or SATA drive should go in the center bay.

If a PATA drive, yes you want the AM1010 - AMS SATA to ATA133 Converter Board and either the MC2101 - SerialATA Cable 39 inch both ends 90 deg connectors or the 19 inch MC2100. You will need to measure and allow for room for routing the cable as well as the fact that it plugs into the SeriTek/1S2 on the end.

It is a crap shoot as to what is faster except for the Raptor which in the anticipated 72GB version will have some further firmware speed tweaks. But the current 36GB model is no slouch. But yes, the PATA drives are generally cheaper but you have to add in the price of the converter.

Many of the current SATA drives are really PATA drives with the added electronics that is on the converter so for a PATA drive, its SATA cousin will be the same speed. My $.02. k

OK, My thought process was right about the way the Seritek/SATA/ATA hardware work. My first thought was to just get an ATA Host card but I wanted to try some new technology.

I am only looking for another drive for storage/organization - hell really just a new toy. I don't really need the speed but we all enjoy a little more speed.

YA, I would test the Seritek/SATA drive out and see if I encounter the problems others have. No I won't be seeing a G5... this QS will have to live much longer.

Randy

Randy,

I would be looking at:
    quote:
    GigaDesigns G4/1.25GHz Upgrade w/2MB SDR L3 Cache for PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics(Sawtooth), Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, QuickSilver 2001/2002 Models. *TESTED AT 1.4GHZ, Uses Moto 7455B G4* New, 3yr Warranty, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. (GIGGC5B1250S2) more info... QS 2001 CPU Upgrades
    If you want something to play with, and if G5 is out of the question for awhile. These are nice solid cpu upgrades. And, those 7455B's run nice, and would offer 200% boost over the 733. But cost 2x your SATA project.

Yes a processor upgrade has really been on my mind they look fun and tempting. I was thinking of holding off till about February my finances will be better and prices might fall some. I have really been gritting my teeth holding off a little longer.

As new "toys" go, the SeriTek card w/ Raptor(s) is a good one (provided you don't have one the older Digital Audio Macs that are having some type of conflict). If you're going to stick with a 7200 RPM drive and not go with the Raptor, then just add an ATA-133 controller and another drive. However, if you're wanting speed and some bragging rites, the SeriTek & Raptor combo deliver. Using XBench as the benchmark, my system score went up about 10 points.

The SeriTek & Raptor drives have been installed in a Dual 1.42 for about 2 months (maybe alittle longer) and zero issues. Now, I'm just waiting for the 74 GB versions - which have even more kick.

Well, the wait is over at www.zipzoomfly.com for 10K Raptor in 73GB if you have the wallet for it ($289).

Which means that anyone wanting a matched set for RAID has to spend ~$600 - $670 (probably $700 for a full SATA kit from 'Gurus Store). At that price, too bad can't offer an OEM copy of SoftRAID 3 or something.

Č?Č?Latest word was that SoftRAID LLC didn't want to go the 'bundled' route with SoftRAID 3. That method of software distribution lets the cat out of the bag and the developer quickly looses control over the sales of its software. At this point SoftRAID LLC isn't even offering a dealer price on their products so we don't even carry it individually.

I keep harping on the drive distributor for 74 GB Raptors. Hopefully they make it to our end of the food chain soon and at a price we can live with!

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Glad to see Zipzoomfly picked up the 74 GB drives. $289 with free shipping is about the best price I've seen to date. Hopefully those prices will fall about 33% by March or so. The 36 GB drives hoover around $110 to $120, so $180 sounds like a more realistic price point.

It will be interesting to see what Apple offers with next G5 line-up (rumored for January).

OK, Can I use the Seritek/1S2 SATA host card and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA as my main "boot drive" for Panther? I am about to hit the submit button here at Guru's with the following hardware.

1. Seritek/1S2 SATA host card
    2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA
    3. SATA Y Power Adapter Cable - for the Seagate

I have 2 ATA drives on the stock bus and want to keep them there if I can boot off the Seritek. So I would need a mounting bracket to put it in the center -right? Where do I find this?

Will I run into much trouble with cables not fitting etc.

Thanks
    Randy

Č?That's all you need Randy. The center tray-plate on the floor of your tower has screw holes to mount the drive. You will need four 6-32 screws to mount the drive, about 3/16 long is perfect. Radio Shack, Home Depot.... whatever. They'll all have that size.

Č?Monday we're going to setup Jazzbo's Quicksilver with that card and a pair of those drives to boot from. You can leave your current drives right where they are. SATA cables will work very easily, it'll surprise you.

Rick

Rick, Thanks for the info on both questions. I got it now. Randy

I saw on www.xrl8yourmac.com 2-23:
    quote:
    Reader report on revised Firmtek SerialATA card fixing Deep Sleep problem

- It's been commonly reported that the Firmtek SerialATA PCI controller card didn't support deep sleep (ditto for the rebadged version sold by others). A reader that had problems with the card (more than just deep sleep support) sent an update that a revised card from Firmtek solved the problem:

" I've since gotten a new card direct from FirmTek. It fixes all problems with the card. My machine (Quicksilver 2002 dual 1GHz) now boots fine. Deep sleep is also not a problem. Score one for FirmTek - excellent customer service.Č?Č?

Saw that too. Going to see if I can get the flasher. k

Č?I will post it today on the store. You can get The Flash Utility Here And the Readme BELOW. (I pasted it in, I couldn't get it to work either)

Rick

quote:
    Company: FirmTek, LLC
    Date: February 03, 04
    Subject: Procedure for upgrading the firmware using Macintosh OS 9 and OS X version 10.2 or later
    Purpose: Interim Firmware Update version 5.0.6.L335
    Interim Firmware Update version 5.0.6.L335 Updates:
    ?─ó Supports OS X version 10.1.5
    ?─ó Allows system to go to sleep when there are no drives attached to the SeriTek/1S2
    ?─ó Fixes issue where drives would take too long to ?─˙wake-up?─¨ / long delay times
    ?─ó Fixes issue where systems would exhibit symptoms of ?─˙kernel panics?─¨ and?─¨ "freezes" (example: rotating beach ball) when using certain SATA drives or PATA/SATA converters which use the ?─˙Marvell?─¨ bridge chip
    Notes:
    ?─ó In the event symptoms persist after updating the firmware, please disable the system?─˘s ?─˙Power Saving?─¨ mode.
    ?─ó This Firmware Update is not provided as a workaround to the ?─˙deep sleep?─¨ or ?─˙preventing system to boot?─¨ issues with SeriTek/1S2 installed in certain models; models with (4) PCI slots/AGP, G4 ?─˙Digital Audio?─¨, and G4 Quicksilver with 133MHz memory bus
    Flash Upgrade Procedure:
    Mac OS X version 10.2 or later:
    Note: Under MacOS X, it is highly recommended that the SeriTek/1S2 controller be updated with the drives removed, using a separate boot drive connected to the system motherboard.
    a) Save all documents and close all applications
    b) Select a boot drive which is not connected to the SeriTek/1S2 controller
    c) Copy the SeriTek/1S2 Flasher Utility to the boot drive
    d) Shut down and power off the system, open the case and disconnect any drives connected to the SeriTek/1S2 controller
    e) Power on and boot up the system
    f) Double-click on the SeriTek/1S2 Flasher Utility icon
    g) Read the License Agreement carefully and choose Accept if you agree to continue updating the firmware, or Decline to abort the firmware upgrade process
    h) On the Flasher Utility menu, choose the SeriTek/1S2 card(s) that you would like to update from the pull-down menu and proceed to update by clicking on the "Update Firmware" button
    i) Reboot the system
    Mac OS 9:
    Remark: Under MacOS-9 you can safely upgrade the card even if the boot drive is connected to the SeriTek/1S2 controller. However, the mouse pointer will freeze and cannot be moved during the actual firmware update process. Once the firmware update process is completed, the mouse pointer will work as normal.
    a) Save all documents and close all applications
    a. Download or copy the SeriTek/1S2 Flasher Utility to the system
    b) Double-click on the SeriTek/1S2 Flasher Utility icon
    c) Read the License Agreement carefully and choose Accept if you agree to continue updating the firmware, or Decline to abort the firmware upgrade process
    d) On the Flasher Utility menu, choose the SeriTek/1S2 card(s) that you would like to update from the pull-down menu and proceed to update by clicking on the "Update Firmware" button
    e) Reboot the system

[This message was edited by ricks on Mon February 23, 2004 PT at 12:03.]

Rick,

The URL for the 'Read Me' is seriously hosed. Unfortunately, my attempts to guess what it should be gets me a 'Home Page not found'.

A reader at XLR8yourmac.com has reported that FirmTek has a solution for those of us with Deep Sleep problems, but it requires swapping the existing card for a modified version =(

Well my installs of the SeriTek, Seagate SATA 7200.7, and Panther 10.3 seems to have gone just great - no glitches.

The Seagate via the SeriTek seems a little slow untill the splash screen - then things seems fast. I have only had 2-3 boots - just getting started.

Thinking about this more maybe I should have got an 80 gig SATA for the SeriTek and a new 40 gig ATA to replace an older stock ATA.

Thanks
    Randy