Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: IBM 180GXP Deskstar

I thought the 120GXP showed real measurable gains over the 60GXP, now, the 180GXP is out and has 8MB cache, 25% improvement, Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB, not FUD!)
    http://www.ibm.com/news/us/2002/09/30.html

quote:
    IBM's performance-enhancing technology -- "tag 'n seek" -- is a method of controlling commands sent from the host processor to the hard drive, enabling faster application activities for the end user. ?š"Tag 'n seek" tags each command that arrives at the drive's buffer with an identifier, then reorders and processes the commands in the most efficient manner.

This enables commands to be more quickly processed, minimizing seek time and freeing the host processor to handle other critical activities.

The Deskstar 180GXP also features the lowest power consumption and heat emission of any high-performance desktop drive to date. ?šThe Deskstar 180GXP also implements spindle motors with fluid dynamic bearing across the entire family, significantly reducing acoustic noise.

Oddly, www.StorageReview.com doesn't yet have a review up, but I think this will unseat the WD Special Edition, put some pressure on Seagate to get their next generation 'Cuda out. Once more Serial-ATA PCI controllers are out, watch out!

I think it would be easier to not have to retrofit OS 9 to support what appears to be all next gen FireWire, USB 2.0, S-ATA. Look at the trouble with booting OS 9 off ATA/100 bus in the new duals.

Gregory

¨?I LOVE competition! This is the best news for storage that there could be. I am really surprised that IBM is doing this much R&D though, I thought they traded off the hard drive division to Fujitsu or something? What's the deal? Are they in or are they out?

¨?I don't think there is a problem with new Macs handling OS9 as much as Apple (as in Steve Jobs) dropping OS9 from the horizon. The impetus is so much on OSX corporate wide that OS9 issues don't even get looked at until after the fact. I don't think they care at all. Good or bad, Apple IS OSX. Good or bad and live or die so we better get used to it.

Rick

I have been watching the IBM 180GXP with that 8MB cache and this morning discovered more what I want, something less than 180GB. Couple of vendors have the 60GB and 120GB, I think it was. Anyway to the point, I discovered that not all models of the 180GXP have the 8MB cache. For instance, the 60GB model only comes with 2MB cache. According to the IBM website, the 80GB and 120GB each come in a 2MB cache and an 8MB cache versions. They all come with the same other new technology tho. Anyway so be careful if it is the 8MB cache model you want in a drive smaller than 180GB which only comes with 8MB cache. k

kaye,

Right your are. Seems like only that 180GB at this point has the larger cache.
    I looked on GoogleGear and they now have 60 and 120GB with the 2MB cache.
    Only the 180GB model has the large cache. Limited supply?
    http://www.ibm.com/news/us/2002/09/30.html

And where is the 'Cuda V, the Atlas 10K IV, or Cheetah X15.3's?

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 05 November 2002).]

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I will be very interested in what quality improvements IBM can bring to this drive.... Seeing as how just about anything would be an improvement over the last three lines of drives that IBM has released....

I had also read that IBM had quit the HD business and now they are back?

If Seagate needs to take a bit of time to insure the quality that Seagate is famous for, then I will wait for Seagate rather than buy an IBM drive right now

(Yes I have an attitude about IBM...)

8MB cache would be nice but not at the expense of the scratch of death (75gxp), or the refusal to move at all (60gxp) or the random spin down (120gxp)

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 05 November 2002).]

Damien,

What I had heard is that IBM announced getting out of the SCSI HD business, not IDE.

I'm familiar with the 75GXP problems but not the 60GXP nor 120GXP problems. I have a 60GXP and four 120GXP drives with never a problem. I'm a happy camper with those drives. The 60GXP and two of the 120GXP are in my everyday G4-800DP, the 60GXP for storage and alternate OS9 and X, the 120GXP drives are HardRAIDed and my main boot drives for 9 and X. k

K-

Care to share where you found the smaller capacity, 8mb cache drives for sale? Sounds like the thing for me, too.

T

T,

I would if I could. The only smaller size 180GXP drives I found were the 2MB cache versions, the 60GB which only comes with 2MB, and the....Woops I just rechecked http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ription=180GXP and found they now have the 80GB with 8MB cache tho the Model #IC35L060AVV207-0 newegg lists, according to IBM, is not for the 80GB nor 8MB. http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Home.jsp also has four of the 180GXP models (do a search for 180GXP), but all of the smaller sizes are 2MB cache. k

I think the 80GB with 8MB cache is a typo and meant to be for the 180GB. Also, due to platter size, the 180GXP line is 60GB per platter, there is no 80GB.

NewEgg drives are often OEM, not retail, which can matter when it comes to warranty etc.

Might want to visit www.StorageReview.com and check out their Drive Reliability Database. They had one before but their server crashed, wasn't backed up, lost tens of thousands of entries users submitted.

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 06 November 2002).]

I guess I got lucky. I've been running two of the 60GXP's and one 75GXP for a year now and nary a problem. In fact the 75GXP feels as fast and appears to be as fast by itself as the two 60GXP's hardware-striped together, according to DiskBasher.
    I'm about to try those two 60's AppleRAID0'ed off the Siig card, and will submit the results to the Drive & RAID Database...

Gregory,

This is what I extracted from an IBM 180GXP pdf file:

This document describes the specifications of the Deskstar 180GXP, an IBM 3.5-inch 7200-rpm
    ATA interface hard disk drive with the following model numbers:
    IC35L030AVV207- 0 (30.7 GB)
    IC35L060AVV207- 0 (41.2 GB and 60.4 GB)
    IC35L090AVV207- 0 (82.3 GB, 2-MB buffer)
    IC35L090AVV207- 1 (82.3 GB, 8-MB buffer)
    IC35L120AVV207- 0 (123.5 GB, 2-MB buffer)
    IC35L120AVV207- 1 (123.5 GB, 8-MB buffer)
    IC35L180AVV207- 0 or 1 (185.2 GB, 8-MB buffer)

k

Word over at www.StorageReview.com forum (registration req'd but free)
    quote:
    Finally got the 180 gxp 120gb hd.
    ...sandra benchmark blazed a 35,462 from an ata100 connection on my asus cusl2 mobo; wherass my 75GXP 46GB drive scored a 20,000. This drive is fast, and only 2meg cach. The tag and seek thing is just sheer raw power.

The tech agent on the phone also had some intersting info.

He said the 8 meg cach is is being scrapped for all the drives except the 180GB.
    He said that my 120GB drive was going to become available with 8meg cach
    but he has info that the 8 meg cach list is on a "vapor" track.
    Meaning they are scrapping the 8 meg version except for 2 drives.
    He said the tag and seek method is so efeective that 8 meg versons don't benefits
    for users UNLESS they are miving GB's of data, hence the reason for only shipping it on the 180GB version.

The other version is a 150GB drive that will ship in a month or so and comes in only 1 flaver, 8 meg cache.
    One more thing, he said IBM and Hitachi are merging and in a couple months IBM will be called something else, he didnt say.
    But he did say if you buy your hard drives, 180gxp or others(even OEM), they will ALL HAVE a 3 year warranty.

After the merger they expect they drives to fall to 1 year.
    So buy your hard drive NOW and youll get the 3 year warranty.

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 08 November 2002).]

I purchased two IBM 180GXP 60GB 2MB cache drives and installed them on an Acard 6880M ATA-133 HardRAID card in my G4-800DP.

A comparison of the 180GXP (OS9.2.2) with the 120GXP (OS9.2.1) tested previously in the same G4. Using ATTO EPT:

One 180GXP on the Acard, SR-54.11MB/s, SW-54.95
    One 120GXP on the Acard, SR-45.53MB/s, SW-46.10

Dual 180GXP on the Acard in HardRAID mode, SR-100.49MB/s, SW-109.14
    Dual 120GXP on the Acard in HardRAID mode, SR-¨?88.33MB/s, SW-¨?92.55

Quite an improvement with the new technology of this 180GXP drive. Will send the results to Rick for inclusion in the RAID database. The Acard and new drives will go in my Buick G4. I will test them again in that box. k

Kaye,

¨?I tried to update the DB with the new 1.2 gig's SCSI data and the UBB preferences wouldn't let me upload the HTML file. I think it is limiting the size again. Ripper is working on it.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Always something, isn't there. I was thinking the optimizing that was done put the database well below the old limit, but apparently not. k

Those are nice numbers, kaye. And they scale up quite well. Even StorageReview hasn't gotten to doing a review of the drive.

Any plan to test under 10.2? See if Disk Utility gets along, and would any software RAID like Apple's be worthwhile?

Looks like a good under $400 100MB/s 120GB storage option. I guess that a 120GB 180GXP (for 240GB) with more heads and platters might show a slight nudge in higher numbers.

Gregory

Gregory,

Those drives and my second Acard 6880M are about to go into my Buick G4-1.25G DP. I will retest in OS9 and will test in 10.2 as single drives via Disk Utility, HardRAID, and Apple's software RAID and get all of the results on the database.

I would think you are correct that the 120GB 180GXP (for 240GB) with more heads and platters and 8MB cache might show a slight nudge in higher numbers. I just can't use that much drive space and, as it is, my monthly maintenance time spent with these large ATA drives has gotten ridiculous. k

Only the top end 180GB model will have the 8MB cache. And while right now they all come with 3 yr warranty, that will be changing soon to one year, along with other manufacturers.

Check out www.mosr.com and the delay on Apple RAID until 2003 (same time frame as SoftRAID X) in part, poor filesystem and RAID performance and migrating away from hfs+ over the next couple years to more modern file systems.

Don't do the testing if you weren't going to, not until SoftRAID X is available.

How many options are there? Apple, SoftRAID, hardware, CharisMac, ExpressStripe. And then there is the in-depth real world-type workstation, file server, web server, etc. that StorageReview will do.

What seems to be missing on the net, I think, is a site etc devoted to testing RAID and focused on RAID, especially Mac OS X.

I was looking at the IBM p630 IntelliStations with 32MB L3 Cache, 533MHz fsb etc. I recall someone stating something about 32MB and thought it was a typo or that they meant 32Mb. 16 GB main memory, built-in was two Ultra320 SCSI controllers in one model. 'Course there is the low end workstation, the $8-12,000 mini-server up to the $250,000 models. IBM must like SCSI - a lot.

Gregory

Gregory,

I was going to do it anyway. Just won't let my Burly RAID/SoftRAID change except for trying the CharisMac RAID. k

K -
    How's your Acard setup working in X? Have you had any problems (or even tried it?) I'm setting up a new machine for DV, and need to use FCP in OS X. This rules out SCSI RAID for the time being, but it sounds like the Acard numbers are pretty good with the 180 GXP drives. Looks like a faster setup than single drives alone, if it's reliable.

T