Thread: WD 40G at Circuit City

This drive is listed at $89.99 but has $40 worth of rebates. Is there any reason I shouldn't go for this to put in my beige G3? I've heard good things about Seagate but haven't heard much at all about Western Digital. Is this drive worth the $50?

Jim

Jim,

How about a link to the drive; take a look and see if the model is in the StorageReview databasee (might be in the older section), and then do a comparision to other models.

Also, will it be used on a controller or not? If not, it doesn't make much difference. On a controller, depending, you can get much better.

Rebates. Some now, some later, Instant or the 8-10 week variety? If you have to pay shipping or not. I'd get the best drive I could for $90 and shop compare over on www.googlegear.com -

At least that's how I'd look at it.

As for Western Digital, the Caviar Special Edition 8MB cache units have gotten a lot of praise as the best in ATA in the last six months.

Seagates are known for their SCSI drives, and for reliability, but they are not the fastest when it comes to ATA, maybe they're focusing on the next generation SATA drives. WD has aggressively gone to win over desktop users and low end servers, what with 8MB cache and even able to better many SCSI drives of only a year or two ago. The IBM180GXP and WD Cavair are close, maybe neck-to-neck. Rick picked up a couple WD Caviar, kaye some 180GXP's.

- G.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 09 April 2003).]

Historically, WD have been middle-of-the-road. In the last two years, their products have gotten a lot better.
    But for $50, I'd buy two and not think twice.

Jim please post a link to the drive. I have a friend just ready to order a Western Digital 8MB cache.

Randy

WD just came out with a 250GB Special Edition in a clear FireWire case. Not sure its worth the $450 when you can buy 180-200GB IBM for $199 and FW case for $75-150...

There are so many drives to choose from in the $90 range nowadays. WD 40GB CircuitCity and "Western Digital" will bring it right up.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 09 April 2003).]

The link is way too long and I'm uncertain about how it would wrap but if you go to :
    www.circuitcity.com

Then look under hard drives, it is the only 40G there. They have almost no variety or selection. You can't miss it. Two rebates. WD rebate for $30 and CircuitCity rebate for $10.

Jim

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

I just bought the 180 GB WDC drive at Fry's. It's $230 minus $100 rebate. It has also a free Promise Ultra100 Tx-2 card inside, which does not hurt. (True, the card is for PC, not Mac). Fry's also has 200 GB drives for $250 (minus the $100 rebate). The large WD drives have 8MB cache but otherwise I do not expect a great performance from them. The drive is still sitting atop of my G4, I did not install it yet.

(Rick, please look at the "The Bad" chart in my earlier e-mail regarding the WD. True, it was working with two IBM-s in the RAID. Now I can perhaps test the three WD-s in the RAID, let's see how it is going).