Thread: Clarification needed on installing a replacement CD-R drive.

I know that any CD-R drive you buy must be compatible w/ the OS or iTunes to work. But I'm a bit confused on something. I went here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/compatibility/ and didn't see the drive that I wanted to buy listed under "expansion bay cd-r drives". I'm wanting to take the factory Sony out and put in the faster Teac W540e. But it's not listed. HOWEVER, I see it listed in the mechanism field for several Firewire drives. I don't understand what this means to me??

Bottom line is, if I buy a Teac W540e, will it work w/ my Mac, iTunes, etc? If so.. will it be able to burn at the 40x12x48 that it says it can? For PC users, this is one the best and fastest drives ever made...and i'm hoping it'll work for me. My buddy is buying a DVD burner for his PC and has offered to sell me his Teac for cheap.

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

Go here http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso and in the first three entries select CDRW, Teac, and IDE. Search and you will get a total of 98 entries. Now search for W540e. Interesting results.

What is your Mac? k

I'll check it out. I'm using a G4 466 w/ 1.25mb of ram, OS9.2.2 & 10.2. I'm gonna buy a new Mac soon, but I'm holding off because of all the problems the new Mac's have. I'm a musician that uses Pro Tools LE, so I can't have a Mac that's as loud as a dust buster, I can't have any audio interferance, and I must be able to use OS9, which will be a HUGE issue after January apperantly!

Thanks!

J

My 466 Digital Audio is the AGP right?? I'm not sure!!! I'm sort of a newbie. Looks like the 540e is a fantastic drive that works well. But if I search for it under G4 AGP Slot, I don't find it. I have to leave that entry blank. I wonder if it really works w/ my machine. Looks like I may or may not need the hacked driver also.

J

J,

More info here http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...tem=TEACDW540E and here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418

Looks like you have a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio, not the earlier AGP Graphics. But yes, you have an AGP slot on the motherboard.

Your link to iTunes compatibility, that page has never had much info unless your burner is FireWire or USB. Does not mean that the burner won't work, just that Apple has not tested it. k

Kaye,
    Thanks. That was very helpful! So... because my Mac as an AGP slot, it's considered an "AGP model" then right?

Also.. it said on the first link you sent that this drive is compatible w/ Toast "lite". I wonder if this means it's NOT compatible w/ the full version of Toast? To be honest, I didn't realize that there was a "lite" version of Toast.

Jason

I just went to Roxio's site and read that Toast Titanium and Jam support any IDE writer that is MMC compliant. I'm sure that this Teac is. But I can't say for sure yet. I'll do some research. Thanks!

Jason

While your Mac is the G4 Digital Audio, it and several other models listed on that comparison page have an AGP slot. Some have the 2x AGP, later models have the 4x AGP.

If the drive is compatible with the Toast Lite version, I cannot imagine it would not be compatible with Toast 5 Titanium. And the compatibility checker says it is, as you say.

A feature comparison http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toa...5featcomp.html k

There are different levels of burner support for OS 9 & X. OS X (Jaguar at least - since that's what I'm using) can use any IDE drive to mount and read CD's. OS 9 normally supports a limited number of drives for mounting and reading, but you can hack the Apple CD/DVD Driver (see this ResExcellence page) to act as a generic CD driver.

However, iTunes and Disk Copy only support a limited number of drives as defined by the files in "System Folder/Extensions/Authoring Support Files" (Mac OS 9) or "System/Library/Frameworks/DiskRecording.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DevicePlugIns" (Mac OS X).

Toast uses its own way of supporting burners and consequently can work with ANYTHING. For example, I just recently put an Asus 48x16x48 burner (for only $60!) into my B&W G3. Chances are you've never heard of Asus - that's because they sell to PC users, and no Mac companies use their mechanisms in external Firewire drives. Nevertheless, I can still use the drive great in OS 9 with the modified Apple drivers and it works great with Toast Titanium 5.2. In Jaguar, the drive reads and mounts CDs without any hacking and again it burns great with Toast. I can't burn with Disk Copy or iTunes however, but since I prefer Toast it hasn't been a problem.

Be aware, that although your particular model may not be listed, you may be able to hack in iTunes/Disk Copy support for your drive. That's because there are other drives by TEAC which are officially supported, and there's a file in your system folder with a list of supported TEAC drives. This is a bit trickier but doable. Every so often on xlr8yourmac, you'll see someone posting a modified authoring support file which will add support for a particular mechanism. I was able to add iTunes/Disk Copy support for my Philips PCRW804K burner which normally isn't supported for instance.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 11 November 2002).]