Thread: 3 internal ATA

Is it possible to mount more than 2 internal ATA's in a G4? I have a 733 with two in it already and I want to add another internal if possible.

You have room to do it...

Check out http://www.apple.com/powermac

I think Mike Breedan had a link to someone who stuffed a whole pile of drives in there...

You might need an IDE adapter card though since you can only have two IDE devices on a single cable.

Here's some useful links.. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/quick..._IDE_RAID.html

Chris

You have 4 HD bays along the bottom of your case.
    You could also use the ZIP bay.
    You might even be able to cram another drive above the CD/DVD drive.

So you could have 6. You would need a card - this could handle 3 or 4, then you have the built-in controller to handle the stacked HDs and you might need the CD/DVD cable for the drive in the ZIP case - I am not sure of the spacing between connectors on IDE/ATA.

I am not sure how the powersupply would feel though
    proceed at your own risk.

------------------
    To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

Hey Sky,

One of the rules of ATA is only two devices per channel. You will definitely need a PCI card host, and to add three or four, as draggie suggests, it would have to be a dual channel host card. Some good ones are out there.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You can fit 2 low profile (1" high) drives above the dvd drive if you are creative! I have done it (from time to time but right now I have only one up there)

IF you put a drive up there it will need some added cooling! Stick a fan on it blowing across the drive toward the rear of the case. This is a dead air space up there and needs a fan.

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 05 January 2002).]