Thread: ide drive - (virgin)-my first ever

I recently purchased a 40 gig Ibm drive to replace a dead drive in a slot loading imac. I was able to physically install the drive, but I'm not exactly sue what my next courses of action should be. Never replaced a hard drive before. I tried running system restore but the drive was not recognized, Thanks much

acurtis,
    Welcome to the forum, you'll find this a fairly easy thing to do.

First, go to your Utility Folder and open up Drive Setup or if your booting from your Install CD run Drive Setup from that. When Drive Setup has finished loading it will try to locate all the drives connected to your computer. You will see a window open and one of the items in the window will be 'untitled disk'.
    Highlight the untitled disk and press Initialize at the bottom. You can then select the Custom Setup button to choose what format (use macOS Extended) and whether to partition the disk, up to you.

After choosing those two items press Initialize and it will be setup for you.

After the disk mounts on your desktop you can single click on the name and change it to anything you like(comes from factory as MacintoshHD)

That's it, ready to install a new system on. You probably don't have to use the restore disk, just your OS install disk.

Rick