Thread: Browsers, which is best ?

Hello All,

I'm tempted to write a book about all my experiences with different browsers over the last decade but I'm not that bored and have a feeling I'd never finish it and then who'd read it, not me!

I'd like to hear what others think about today's browsers. I'm hearing rumors of this one is closing up shop and this one will no longer be supporting Macs? Personally I've always been a die hard Netscape user but I've been out of the trenches for a while and would like to hear from those that are still in there day in and day out looking for the best of the best. My primary Mac is a G4/466 using OS X.2.8, but I still have a few Vintage Macs I use that are using OS 9.1.
    Thanks!

Ken

[This message was edited by mac-in-tosh on Wed March 03, 2004 PT at 4:39.]

Most browsers still being supported are for OS X. There have been various threads on browsers, but OS X General is where I put one. Firefox and OmniWeb 5 along with Safari (and Mozilla, but less so) and the only one in ?limbo? is Camino. Maybe iCab and Opera have their use but Opera has never appealed to me.

To ask which is ?Best? begs the question, ?Best for what??

Is there one tool for all jobs?

Online banking and Java compliance or compatibility.
    Filtering cookies and images.
    Easy to read and has excellent text display.
    Fast.
    Firefox has features that others lack.
    And bookmarks. Sorting.
    The ability to have the browser check pages for changes.
    OmniWeb 5 for the ability to tailor the look and behavior of each web site is unique feature but very useful.

If I had my choice, I?d have a car for work, another for out in the mountains and country. A boat for sailing, another for fishing, and yet one for cruising or journeys.

One size fits all, and you have bloat-ware, which is part of why Mozilla broke into Firefox and Thunderbird.

[This message was edited by TZ on Wed March 03, 2004 PT at 4:51.]

I have come to like and use Safari as my primary browser.

TZ really said it all - they each have their "good" features that work well in certain situations and places.

Safari's bookmark management is not so great.

I do a fair amount of online banking/retirement account management buying/purchasing and they usually say "requires Internet Explorer or Netscape but Safari has been working fine with them.

OmniWeb has a nice look to it.

I've been using Mozilla 1.3 with 9.1. It's a little buggy, but doesn't crash near as much as earlier versions. I was using Netscape 4.8 for a long time, but it just can't handle the java anymore. also has cookie issues with another BBS that I frequent. Tried newer versions of it, but was unimpressed with the general feel, and stability. Mozilla is pretty fast (to me) when it works which is most of the time. I don't do any business related stuff though.

I do keep a copy of IE 5.1.6 on hand (browser only) just in case I have to.

If it wasn't for that one piece of software this Mac would be 100% M$ free.

As always YMMV.

MSIE is at 5.1.7, not sure if that is "better" but might try.

Mozilla 1.2.1 is what I use in OS 9, the last 'stable' release I found. I was always downloading nightly builds, too. One thing, give Mozilla 80-90MB and it still uses 20-40MB of system heap, so it is RAM hungry to run.

Anyone on dial-up, iCab properly still is able to turn off a lot of features and graphics and make for a better experience.

Safari and more Apple apps are getting embedded more and more into the OS and into the kernel, for better integration and performance, always available, can't be uninstalled. Sort of like what M$ argued about "you can't remove the browser from the OS." - The more things change, the more they stay the same." Maybe Apple took a page out of M$'s game book?

OmniWeb 5b3 - set the language preference to Western (Windows Latin 1) for encoding and submitting forms to avoid those "character artifacts" that show up in forum replies etc. whether your own or others - or so it seems. I was using Western (Mac Mail) and/or Western (Mac Roman) and had trouble. I was seeing those artifacts or "Apple" command icons all over the place.

quote:
    Correctly copy and paste tables from the web into Excel
    Thu, Mar 4 '04 at 10:40AM from: tamc

Every now and again, I want to transfer a table from the web (such as a list of figures from the UN Forestry database) into an Excel worksheet so I can do further calculations. On my previous Windows PC, I could just select the table, copy, and paste into Excel. With my new Mac, I was disappointed to find that copying a table in Safari and pasting it into Excel puts all the data in a single column.

The solution is to use the Firefox browser. This cuts and pastes tables as expected, saving potentially hours of typing or reformatting.

[robg adds: I do quite a bit of this, and Safari definitely doesn't do a good job at it. I decided to test the rest of the browsers that I have lying around, and found that OmniWeb5 Beta (also using Apple's WebCore) and Opera do not paste "correctly," while Camino, Mozilla, iCab, and Internet Explorer paste the data into individual cells in Excel, as one would expect.)
    www.macosxhints.com
    Check out the thread for more ideas and solutions.

Some applications add a reference for every "different" /Applications/application_name.

If you have OS X installed and used it on different drives or volumes there will be multiple references to "Safari" or "Mail" or "Camino" in there.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.