Thread: installing 2nd hard drive on mac g4 quicksilver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ok, im trying to install a 2nd hard drive on my mac g4/quicksilver. ive done this many times on my g3, but things are rather different inside this baby.

the computer is a g4 1.25 with a seagate barracuda 80GB ultra ata drive. the hard drive im trying to install is a maxtor 120GB 7200 ata 100/133. im running mac os 10.2

there appears to be several places where the drive can go, and i cant seem to figure out how to get the drive underneath the existing drive. any advice?

?That's a Mirrored Drive Door and you have two buses in there. For the fastest performance you will want to install that drive in the bottom ATA66 mount hooked up to a separate bus. It is much more important to performance to separate the drive from your OS and application drive than that that drive be on the little bit faster ATA100 bus.

?So remove the screw holding the lower drive carrier in, install the new drive where it would hookup to the end data cable connector. Set the drive as either Cable Select or Master. Either will work, in Cable Select you are just allowing the ATA controller to set Master on the drive.

?Make sure you hook up the other end of the data cable to the motherboard ATA66 connector. Apple just ties it off.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

ricks,

your a lifesaver. i had everything right but the other end of the data cable wasnt connected to the ata66 board. the drive is working now.

thanks again buddy

Dear Telephunken,

Rick just beat me at it,....

For some useful instructions on how to install hard drives inside your MDD machine, you may want to download this Apple's "Customer-Installable Parts" .pdf file.

Have fun!

Costa

Take it to the Max, Mac!

Cooool,

?Believe me, you ain't the first one caught by that hidden little detail! Not by a long shot.

?Glad you're up and running.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?