Thread: How many people still using OS 9 or below?

Hi all, just wondering how many Mac users here have not "upgraded" to OSX, and intend to use OS 9 for as long as possible.

Well,
    I must admit, I do have OS-X 10.1.5 running on my 9500, but I have issues with it and my Adaptec 2930 SCSI card, and I have NOT upgrade Pro Tools LE to 6.1, as Digidesign has decided that no one in their right minds would use a AMIII card in a "New World" Mac.
    I also dabble a lil' in the "graphix" world, with the "freebie" versions of
    Strata 3D- No 'free' version available for X
    Corel Draw 8 "LE"- No version available for X
    Photoshop "LE"- Is usable in X, but only for small files
    So, I pretty much have to have OS 9 to actually do work.

If you've ever gone to the OS 9 Forever site, you could get a nice rant about Apple's lack of support for "Old World" Macs and Mac OS X. Unfortuantly, I'm of mixed feelings about this. It's obvious that these machines can run X, but it requires a lot of hair pulling and equipment that is in tip-top shape. Unfortuantly, not all of these macs are, and then there's all the extraneous hardware & software to consider as well. That's in Apple's favor. However, I run Yellow Dog Linux on one of my MacOS 9 drives connected to the Adaptec card that doesn't recognize any drives attached to it in X, however, the ATTO UL2D that X loves, is only supported as a generic "Fast SCSI" ie-10MBps card in YDL, Catch-22 huh? So to add to the debacle, YDL is a much faster OS (even with their bloated default installation scheme) than OS 9 AND X, but to get it to really scream, you have to compile your own kernel, which means, The command-line.

As I'm getting better at using the command-line in Linux, Darwin's commands aren't exactly the same (this a BSD vs. YDL vs. Unix vs. VMS sort of deal, all propriety to their own port pretty much) and thus I don't do much with it in X.

But, back to the matter at hand, I'll probably be using OS 9 quite frequently, even when I do get a used G4 (can't afford 'em any other way really), I'll need one that can boot 9 just because of my out of date gear and such.

I know some people like to part out their old systems before getting new, but unfortuantly I'm a severely obssessed pack-rat. I have a old Intel-486 I use just to format "PC Floppies" and one IIci to archive data (as well as some VERY old versions of Quark, Aldus PageMaker etc..) and another IIci that I'm going to install a 68K_Linux on for doing SETI and more than likely NAT/Firewall duties with.

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Yeah, I'm still a 9'r. I have no command-line background.

I've played with X a bit on a dual 1G G4, and it seemed really sluggish compared to my 9.1 on a 400mhz G3. Sure was purdy though....

I mainly do audio stuff like Bill, and have a similar budget situation so I'm in no hurry to move to X. Can't afford the hardware right now. Too many other expensive interests. If you think Macs are expensive try guitars/amps or sportbikes!

Things will get better once I pay off some debts......... D

Cool, I hope this thread stays alive
    I have an upgraded Imac/333/20 Gig Hd/256 RAM - my internet machine... an upgraded 9600 / G3 with all the goodies...(the workhorse) and a 6500 waiting for a big HD to become a MP3 player/ integrated with my stereo. All machines happily running 9.1 andall networked on my LAN.I own $$$$$ in Mac software ( no "I" this or that )
    Yep I play guitar too, use Pro Tools, Photoshop,
    too much to list
    My brother in law is a MAC Tech...yes he hooked me on Macs years ago, but OSX is a dog on his machine compared to my "old" stuff.
    I imaging there are may like me that ask "Why fix something if it ain't broke"

Dave

[This message was edited by Macaholic on Sat September 27, 2003 PT at 0:59.]

Still with 9. With me it's a combination of old machines (that won't run OS X) and/or Pro Tools hardware/plug-ins.

I have 9.2.2 on the G4, which is a lot faster than earlier versions of 9, and I've just gone to 9.0.4 on the 7600. This old workhorse was running 8.6, and I can't really see any advantages with 9. I went to 9 because I was trying to share a USB printer from the 7600. I was told that I could, but can't figure out how.

BF

OS9 does run faster on my G4/500, but I don't do anything really intense when I run OSX, so I don't mind. Mostly I use 9 for games - A-10 and F/A-18 - they don't have an OSX option. I also have done a lot of vinyl recording with Coaster, again OS9 only. But I like to keep up with the new software that runs in OSX, like the Mail app and Safari, which I use daily, I really like the password fill stuff and I enjoy the eye candy that comes with quartz. Also, as I said earlier, I play games on my mac and Ghost Recon, one of my favorites, is OSX only. So I guess I am a split personality when it comes to Apple's operating systems. And one more addiction of mine is Imperialism2, which runs in OS8.6. I keep my 7500 around just so I can waste a few days playing that game now and then. And did I mention ADB support? I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS set up that I am tweaking for the flight sims. It is too bad that new world machines are hit and miss whn it comes to input devices like joysticks.
    My biggest beef right now is that game makes are writing higher minimum requirements into their stuff and I will have to scatch up another big chunk of dough to get a system that will allow me to indulge myself. But, as the saying goes, if we aren't having any fun, what's the sense saving the planet?

The one thing I despise is when companies finaly up the hardware min's.

That just irk's me to no end.

It's like in a 'neighbor' state (any "show me's"?), if you get roadside assistance from any law enforcement officer during the winter and they find that you don't have 'all-weather-or-snow" tires, they will write you up a ticket!

How much does that suck?

You can't afford a new set of tires, so they penalize you by making you pay the state for the inconvience of having to make sure you're OK.

What the ____?

M.Brane,
    I know exactly what you mean about gear-lust.

For me, general bills (and the wife makes sure to spend most of that on groceries LOL) get most of my hard earned dollars.
    After that my P.A. gets that money first, then comes single Bass guitar strings.
    Of course I always break the "E" string which = $8-15.00 (just for ONE bloody string), then regular guitar (3 electric, 2 acoustic) strings.
    Then if I have anything leftover, it goes to 12 pack of Guinness (if I'm lucky, the wife will decide to add that to the grocery-list ) just to "steel me up" before going to change all of those strings.

Maybe the next paycheck allows me to get a toy, or if I'm lucky, TWO!

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Living outside the U.S. makes you use obsolete systems and equipement and try to get the most of it.
    After one year fighting with an always freezing 5215, getting a 6500 is a blessing. Why -you could ask- didn't throw that 5215 freezing beige dinosaur and buy a G4? well, the answer is money. When you can hardly get enough money for living and still have to fight for free-lancing, usually use a tool until it lasts and even more.
    Five years ago, i was still using a Classic II for word processing and even for illustration (6 Mb RAM, 7.1 system, freehand 4.0 and Pagemaker 5.0 with a 80 Mb hard disk) Well, you could say, poor devil, Can't you afford more? I couldn't then.
    Later, a Quadra 605 and after that a Quadra 650 (still with me, a really good machine), both with 7.5.5 system and later the 650 with 7.6.1
    One year ago the 5215 and 7.6.1... now, happy again with the with the 6500 with 8.5 spanish system. Could be upgraded to 8.5.1 or may be 8.6. Office 2001, Illustrator 9.0.2, Photoshop 5, Pagemaker 6.5.2...

As you can see, when you can't afford a G5 you have to live with the tools you can get. When money is important and you have not enough, old systems (specially Macs) have still much to do with you.

Macac

[This message was edited by Macaco on Sat September 27, 2003 PT at 9:11.]

billbo -

you're AMIII card will work with PT under OS X. the guys at bias were doing some testing and they had PT LE 6.1.x installed - and - whoops, what the f*** - the AMIII card worked with ALL their other audio apps too! needless to say, they were a bit surprised. Here was the post: http://www.bias-inc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=444

I run OS 9.1 on my 7500 upgraded with the XLR8 G3/400. It plays my music 90% of its time but also friends,nephews do some surfing and messenger chat with it. It works great.

On my QS 733 I have 2 drives both run OS X. One 10.2.6 the other 10.2.2. I keep one small partition with OS 9.2.2 and only boot into it to run DW or play Unreal Tournament.

I really like OS 10.xx

Randy

G3 upgraded 8500's here (newer and xlr8) running 9.1.....MilesU2W Maxtor (2x Atlas10K3) and SoftRaid help a lot!

Tom Babb

7100/80AV w/Newer G3, OS 9.1, 136MB Ram, 1GB Quantum that replaced the original 700MB. Runs SETI@home 24/7 now. Still surfs the net just fine W/IE 5.XX(latest ver.). Kids use it for homework too.

Also, 8500/180 w/Newer G3, OS 9.2.2, Barracuda 36GB, 672MB ram, ATI Rage Orion 16MB. Also runs SETI when not used for anything else. I'm yping this on it now.

Both hooked to a hub which is hooked to a router for cable modem(Roadrunner, beep, beep).

Software includes PS 4, AI 7, Strata Studio Pro 1.75+(just dabble w/this), Word & Excel 98, Delta Graph 4.5, Quake I, II, & III, Unreal, UT. Games only on the 8500.

Dual boot DP 1.25GHz G4 on order. Old software still runs fine with OS 9. Can't afford the G4 and the OS X software upgrades at the same time. This allows me to ease into X. Only bummer is my ship date just got pushed back 2 more weeks.

I'll be using 9 for a while.....Paul

The only reason I am still on 9 is because my profession has fallen behind the times. I am a graphic designer, and most are still using 9 and Quark 4/5. Until my printer tells me he needs my files in Q6, I am still going to be on 9.1 in my 7600/486. Ok by me.

At work, most of our machines are still running 9 for various reasons:

?Ģ Some hardware is just too old for 10 - I can see a 5500 all-in-one and a Motorola 5500 from my desk here in the IT dept. Plus some boxes that can run 10, and have been good with 9, need to have memory added or replaced - "hidden" costs.

?Ģ Some software is not supported. Recently "upgraded" our fax server from a Centris running 7.5 to Umax 3400 running 9.1. . . it flys now! Also, the boys in marketing are still using Pagemaker, which will die with 9. They are starting to use it in classic mode (which gives me the willies), so still hanging onto 9 even after making the jump to 10.

?Ģ We have a bunch (like 150) of G3 imacs at 40 different locations around the US, and upgrading an remote box running 9 is no small challenge. We have upgraded about 40 remotely using Retrospect, but I think I would rather go get a root canal than do the rest the same way. . . hoping Panther may change that.

?Ģ Some software is too much money for the upgrade. Our backup server is running Retropsect Server 5 on 9.1 on a beige G3 just fine. Tried several times to move it to 10, but lots of headaches. Now that Retro 5.1 is out, it is *supposed* to work fine on 10, but $$$ to upgrade. 9 works perfect day in and day out, so why? I reboot it once a month when I remember...

Charlie Don't Surf!

I use OS 9 almost exclusively to get work done. I am heavily invested in OS 9 programs, and my main one, QuarkXpress, just doesn't run well in Classic.

That much being said, I did recently purchase a dual booting 1.25GHz G4 to compliment my aging, but reliable upgraded Beige G3/500. I still use that a lot because it has all my SCSI devices attached. I'll ease into USB/Firewire now that I have the G4 (although I have a combo card in the Beige).

I put a second hard drive in the G4 for OS 9 ONLY! So I'll be with 9 for awhile, yet. (But learning X for future needs)

My primary getting-work-done machine is a 9500/XLR8G3/400 running 8.6, with a USB card for the mouse and two graphics cards for two monitors. I have the last 7 years of emails on it in Emailer and then Outlook Express, I have all the old versions of all the layout and design software mentioned by everybody, and it's fast as hell in the OS.

I'm gradually moving over to an OSX box, but configuring the /Users dir on a separate drive, getting all-new utilities software, and converting to a new email program are all a significant pain in the keister.

Another problem I'm finding is that playing with permissions on the OSX system slows down my workflow a LOT. I'm sure others can relate.