Thread: experience with Juno, Netzero or Fry's for OSX?

just as the title states, got a buddy who won't step up to broadband and is currently with AOL. interested if anybody has had any experience with either internet services.

Needs are slim, 2 email accounts would be cool but they are happily existing with 1 right now. would be nice to not have to use too much proprietary software as in AOL, they want to make use of OSX's Mail, Safari and emailing from iPhoto.

any suggestions or experiences (good or bad) would be much appreciated.

thanks
    kj

thanx
    kj

See if there is a trial period with no agreements.
    Search www.dslreports.com for user experience.
    Jaguar should be fine with anything - except AOL, but that could imporve change.

DSL has been easy to use, rock solid, even went back to DSL after 6 months on cable.

ooops! forgot to mention, we be talkin' dialup.

thanx
    kj

... oops! I thought you were trying to convince your friend to step up to broadband!

You do NOT want to try to keep up with OS X w/o T1 at work or something. (Apple really needs an "up-to-date CD" program for one thing if they want to attract rather than "attack" the dial-up users.)

What TZ said. I have dialup at home, but access to a T1 and DSL at work, so I can get by...

FWIW, I am using hawk communications, which has been OK from 9.1 to 10.3

Cheap (as little as 7 bucks a month, depending on how you pay), and I rarely get disconnected. Sometimes I get a busy signal during peak times - early evening. I rarely try to get on at peak times, so not a big issue for me, but it may be unique to my area 'cause it's small town with only one local number to connect to.

No OS X specific support on their web site, and I have never had to call techsupport, so I can't tell you if it is a Mac friendly company. As I recall, you can go month to month, so no risk to try.

Charlie Don't Surf!

TZ,

it's not for lack of trying. I've been pushing broadband but he just won't budge. For him the internet exists to fulfill his fantasy football aspirations and some healthy email banter between us buddies.

It seems there isn't a whole lot of difference between the carriers. Although I like fry's for the sheer reason of no proprietary software to sign on. Use internet connect and you're done.

He also won't budge on getting a Tivo either.

thanx
    kj

I would hope that Panther would make getting online even easier and never ever need any "proprietary" software (last time was CompuServe Information Manager I think). Maybe an Xbox would be the ticket.

I was using two phone lines, so I could be online, and later, using MLPPP to bond two modems (9-10k/sec). So DSL let me drop one line, not have to pay for two simultaneous sessions. The only cost was the modem (dsl modems ARE proprietary and expensive relative to today's costs at $200 while a dialup modem is under $100, there was a time when modems were lucky to break the $1000 barrier if anyone remembers).

I know people sometimes look at the cost alone, even if they know and can afford it. People still use Win95 and don't want to upgrade.