Thread: Gimp print, Epson pro 9000 and a network HELP!!!!!!!!!

Before i start, I am a MAC newbie :-)

I am having trouble printing to my Epson pro 9000 printer over a ethernet network.

Under OS9 i just installed the Epson drivers and then i could just print.

But with Gimp Print (because there are no Epson drivers yet) i have to put an IP address of the printer, which i reckon is 81.130.225.54 but i am not sure.. it's just the only IP (host81-130-225-54) that comes up when i click (Go/connect to server)

I understand that i have to put an IP address in and a Host name but i have no idea how to get the host name either.

On the PC the name the name is :-

//EPSON/EPAC2F41

Please help me as i need to print!!!
    Thanks!!

Start here with a Google/Mac search on "Epson + 9000 + GIMP"

you can search and narrow down to just one site/domain like www.xlr8yourmac.com (which uses a custom Google search button), Apple uses Google. www.MacInTouch.com is a great place to start a search also.

I haven't used GIMP, Lexmark has been excellent in getting working drivers out and staying on top of OS X - immediately after any change to the OS. May just need to read how to setup GIMP and printer sharing. I *think* there is an option in the System Preferences Sharing control panel. Do you have a router? then I would expect it to be under the "192.x.x.x" range. Some routers have a port just for printers, which might work also.

I'd try here;

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

I was investigating this for a while and their forums seem pretty active.

Good luck..

Hi ya Slinka,

Welcome to the world of network printing om Macs!

Just set up a few doxen Xerox laser network printers, which have no Mac setup software, except a web interface... What was critical for troubleshooting these was the ability to print a config page that gives you all of the settings, IP address, etc. Any way to do that with the 9000? Ususally it's something like hold down the power button for 5 seconds...

Other tricks:

Open a browser, and type in 127.0.0.1:631 This allows you to acccess and configure attached printers...can be handy, but I think you need the IP address or hostname of a printer to add or configure...have not spent much time with this yet.

Another tool for troubleshooting printing is Print Center Repair once you get your printer configured. Have not needed this yet, but some folks say it can be a lifesaver.

Charlie Don't Surf!

Have you checked here yet?

I noticed they have a PDF manual for download; perhaps you can get a configuration page printout procedure there.

Hey, can you sniff the IP from a PC?

Do you see the printer if you type 81.130.225.54 into a browser (is there a web interface)?

Charlie Don't Surf!

[This message was edited by unclemac on Mon July 28, 2003 PT at 9:25.]

I downloaded the related files for the printer and found that the IP address is 192.168.0.122.

This IP lets me connect to the printer via Safari, which is good!

But Gimp print wants a print queue name but i am not sure what this is??

All i can tell is that the Print Server Name is STYLUS_PRO_9000-AC2F41

I pressed the black button on the back of the printer and it printed out some details.

IP Address 192.168.0.122
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.0.1

THANKS!!

From Apple Discussions... the "topic" was using a SCSI card from B&W in MDD G4. The 'real' question was using and setting up an Epson printer. thread Some links (mostly covered already?):

ethernet card

FireWire card

GIMP Print OS X

info Epson

Epson Pro 9000 pdf
    quote:
    Q: Does EPSON offer support for PostScript printing for it's Professional Wide Format printers under Mac OS X native mode directly?

A: All EPSON Professional Wide Format printers supported by the EFI's Fiery LX, Fiery X2, Fiery Spark RIPs and the EPSON Stylus RIP are already supported by MAC OS X Version 10.2 and above, by simply installing the appropriate PPD file into the MAC OS X.

* EFI RS 5000 LX Series - Stylus Pro 5000 printer
    * EFI RS 5100 X2 Series - Stylus Pro 9000, 7000, 9500 and 7500 printers
    * Fiery Spark Designer - Stylus Pro 5500 printer
    * Fiery Spark Professional 1.0 - Stylus Pro 5500 and Stylus Pro 10000ARC/DYE printers
    * Fiery Spark Professional 2.0 - Stylus Pro 9600UCM, 7600UCM and 10600UCM/ARC/DYE printers

EPSON StylusRIP - Stylus Color 3000 and Stylus Pro 5000 printers

Bumped into this today:

Helios TCP/IP print driver

Perhaps it could help...?
    quote:
    The HELIOS TCP/IP Print Driver is a component of the recently released EtherShare 3.1. It enables Mac OS 9 clients to print up to 3x faster than via AppleTalk PAP or Apple Remote LPR. It is now also available for Mac OS X clients. Integrated within the Mac OS X Print Center, the new HELIOS TCP/IP driver supports Service Location Protocol (SLP) browsing, enabling the easy selection of printers via the TCP/SLP Chooser list or by IP name/address. It also automates PPD (PostScript Printer Description) installation from the HELIOS print spooler.

Charlie Don't Surf!