Thread: OS 10.2.6 and OS9.2.2?

speters1 Guest

I just bought a dual 1.25, last years. It came with OS10.2.1. When I installed that, it did not install 9.2.2. I updated to 10.2.6. I then put in the software restore cd, and tried to install 9.2.2, I got to the second c, and it then said it failed. So I tried it again, and it failed with the first cd. I then checked to see if maybe when I updatd to 10.2.6, that it maybe installed 9.2.2. It was there, but alot of things where not working. How can I reinstall 9.2.2?

Hey Speters,

Last I knew, Mac OS wanted to be installed in this order: OS 9 on the HD *first*, then OS X. I've tried both ways and had a 50% or so success rate trying to do X first.

Each update of OS X wants to add it's own components and updates to 9 -- if 9 isn't there the X updater has nothing to update and strange behavior ensues.

If you've got your HD backed up I'd wipe the drive clean and install 9.x, 10.2.1, 10.2.updates, in that order.

Add another HD or backup and partition your drive keeping OS 9.x and OS 10.2.x separate from each other.

speters1 Guest

I finaly got it to work, but I am wondering if I should move my OS9 to my second partition. I have heard it suggested before to have OSX and OS9 on different partitions, why is this. I often swith back and forth between the two. Can I just drag the sytem folder for OS9 to ther second partition or do I need to install it? If I install it do I need to uninstall the old one?

Didn't this issue come up in a near identical thread about partitioning? just... last week?

Yes, dragging OS 9 is fine. And on SCSI, it doesn't matter which partition OS X resides on (or on G4's for that matter). You can put it anywhere, and have any number of copies even with different versions.

the reason for partitions is so that you can repair one while booted from the other. So you can have two different OS 9 System Folders, one for real use, one for Classic.

And you will want to have a 2nd OS X volume for repairing etc the main working copy of 10.2.6.

By holding the "option key" during startup or a restart you can easily change systems without changing your startup drive. You can choose between any of your OS 9's or OS X systems with just a mouse click as they will all be displayed.

The only real problem with having OS 9 on the same partition as OS X is if you want to migrate back to OS 9, OSX is a b**ch to remove. With early versions of OS X, this was very important because OS X could die at anytime and require a reformat before reinstall (Sounds like a Windows machine! Don't it? ) Anymore, this isn't so much of an issue.

I've had no problem installing a fresh copy of OS 9.2.2 on an OS X.2 drive/partition having booted from the OS 9 CD (Not possible on newest G4 systems). OS X will automatically update the new System Folder for use as Classic the first time it's booted in Classic mode.

BTW: The Option key trick only works if the Systems are on seperate drives/partitions

Tony

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person!