Thread: Max HD Size for Dual 1.25

Greetings,

I am in the midst of doing research before I make my first Mac purchase. However, there are questions that I have that no one can seem to answer.

First is, what is the maximum size HD that the Dual 1.25 can handle? I know the Apple Store offers up to 4 180GB, but I'm trying to figure out what the max size is so that I can be prepared for later upgrades.

Next, what is the level of difficulty of adding HDs to the Dual 1.25 out of the box? The cost of after market HDs vs. configuring at the Apple store with extra HDs is a no brainer.

I've searched nearly everywhere that I can think of, and asked several people, including a sales rep from Apple with no concrete answer. Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Nelchael

Welcome Nelchael:

Good question.

What *is* the limiting factor: ATA 5 or 6 specs, or something specific to the Mac in question? I don't know, but I expect someone will be along that does...

As for the install, just adding ATA drives using the integrated ATA buses (one 100, and one 66) is very easy. The cables you need are in the case and plugged in/ready to go. There are two sleds that hold two drives each. Just remove the sleds (they have one locking screw to remove, and then a lever to release them), add your drives with proper master/slave jumpers configured, replace the sleds, connect cables, and boot 'er up.

I bet you could add 3 drives in about 25 minutes. Plenty of help here if you have questions as you go.

If you go SCSI or add a ATA PCI card, the cabling is a bit tight, but still not a major headache.

FYI - Unless you are shopping for a close out deal, you might want to wait a few weeks to see if Apple delivers a brand new model.

Check this: new powermacs soon?

[This message was edited by newbie on Tue June 10, 2003 PT at 23:01.]

Nelchael,

You can do it yourself for less than half the Apple cost. As newbie says, the cables and drive cages are already there. Both the ATA/66 and ATA/100 buses are ATA6 compatible, meaning they will recognize big drives greater than about 137GB.

Largest IBM/Hitachi is this one http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100428 180GB at $160 each.

Largest Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is this one http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=101554 160GB at $147.50 each.

Maxtor
    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100706 200GB at $208 each.

For really big drives, but at greater cost
    Largest Western Digital http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=101220 250GB at $278 each. k

Nelchael,

One other point. Unlike SCSI, the ATA bus with two drives does not do concurrrent I/O well, such as reading/writing to both drives simultaneously.

My G4-1.25G, I moved the 120GB drive (IBM 120GXP w/2MB cache) that came with the box to the ATA/66 bus, master position. Put another faster 120GB drive (180GXP w/8MB cache) on ATA/100 bus, master position. I use this drive as my main boot drive. Then, mindful of the above, I put an Acard 6880M HardRAID PCI card in and installed two 180GB 180GXP w/ 8MB cache drives, one in the remaining ATA/100 bay, the other in the remaining ATA/66 bay and connected both drives to the Acard. Now you have four buses, and only one drive on each bus. BTW, the computer sees the Acard buses as SCSI.

And I can't take credit for this idea of one drive on each internal ATA bus. Rick pestered me incessantly to do it. Once the pit bull bites, there is no way to get him to release. I only did it in desperation, once I understood it. I was slow to understand which made him even madder.

Clear? Or did I muddy the waters? k

Thanks for the tips.

If there is indeed a new model coming out, then that would explain why the Mac sales rep is pushing me to make a purchase now.

And I was all set to make a purchase now. Hopefully this means that the model I'm looking at will drop in price.

Nelchael

Historically we see a price drop if there is stock to be cleared out (notice the $200 drop in 15" powerbooks recently?) just before, or just after a model update.

But be careful...if it is a hot item, sometimes the "closeout" model is only available for a very short time.

The other spot to look for deals is from the Apple store. If you go to to the main page (the store tab at apple's site), and look at the bottom left corner, you will see a Special Deals area. Click it to see what they have in stock. Usually refurbished items, which I am usually not fond of from other venders, but I have had several from Apple and they have been perfect. There are currently several G4's to pick from...

Happy shopping.

[This message was edited by newbie on Wed June 11, 2003 PT at 13:38.]

Thanks for the info on refurbs. However, I was wondering how you could tell if the model featured as the refurb has certain characteristics. If I buy a refurb, I want it to be nearly identical to the new one I was looking at, just slightly used.

Also, does all of the software come with the refurb? I was just looking at the Dual 1.25 and notcied that it only mentioned the system software. The reason I ask is because I'm not familiar with how Apple does their software and I'm looking forward to the other software besides the new OS.

Good questions. As I said, I have seen several refurbs (including one for my mom) that were perfect cosmetically and performance/stability wise. Not a gurantee, but I too would be dissapointed if I could tell at a quick glance that a refurb was not a new machine.

As for software, honestly, I have never paid attention, especially to the G4s...cause they were work machines that we installed our own software on. I know they *did* include the install and restore disks. And, at least about a year ago, all the towers (new and refurb) came with almost nothing besides the OS and Apple apps anyway. The imacs/emacs always had more consumer stuff: a coouple games, encyclopedia, Quicken, etc.

I would expect Apple would have some list or specs of what is included around there somewhere...

Charlie Don't Surf!