Thread: initializing disk problem

I installed a Seagate "Barracuda" 4.3GB SCSI drive (model ST15150N) into an external case and connected to my 7300 (Mac OS 9.1) using a 50 pin 25 pin cable. However when I run "disk setup", the drive is seen but not supported. I set the SCSI ID to 1 for this drive. (ID 0 obviously is the start up, ID 3 is the CD-ROM, ID 4 is another hard drive and ID 5 is the external Zip drive). Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks

Assuming that cables and termination are correct (you are seeing the drive mount), what about 3rd party drivers? How was it initialized in it's previous life?

If FWB, Intech, SoftRAID, etc. drivers were used instead of Apple Drive Setup, you have to remove those drivers before you can reinstall Apple drivers...

If you don't know for sure (or you do know 3rd party drivers are loaded), try ATTO Expresstools to remove all drivers and start fresh.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 18 February 2003).]

The drive does not mount on start up. However when I run drive set up, it recognises a drive is present but say's "not supported". I have no idea about it's previous uses or what drivers are on board. Someone suggested an older version of "drive setup" but I don't have access to that or any other drivers. (using version 2.0.3)

Go to ATTO www.attotech.com and head to Support / Downloads and look under "Utilities" for ExpressTools Pro 2.8.2 or in the ftp.macgurus.com file library and use that to erase the drive fully first. Then you can use Drive Setup - but look for 2.0.7 which is part of 9.1 I think.

Those 4.3GB drives tend to burn themselves out in 5-6 yrs. I've had one drive that kept burning out cases due to the load it places. When using 9.1 be sure to use a drive that fully supports Apple OS. FWB HDT 4.5.2, Intech Speedtools 3.5, or Drive Setup. but maybe the latest version of DS, NOT an earlier version at all.

Hi Gregory,
    thanks for your feed back; I now have my disk up and running!!!!

I'll buy you beer if your ever in the land down under :-))

Hi,

I have the same drive, and had the same problem. Silverlining enabled me to format it, and it is now running on the internal SCSI bus (ID 1) quite happily as the audio drive with Pro Tools LE.

OS 8.6 Energy Saver wont spin it down, and Drive Setup didnt let me do anything with it. Ill try using the OS 9.1 Drive Setup it would be nice to have it standby after 30 mins of me ignoring it, as it shares my front room, and is rather noisy!

BF